1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Roman Catholicism a cult?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by shannonL, Jun 4, 2005.

1. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I think it has the makings of a cult. Pope overrides scripture.... If it is not a cult. If it is not heretical Then how can RC be defined?
    Any takers?
    I only want to hear feedback because quite a few evangelicals in different circles seem to think it so liberating to magnify our likenesses and minimize our differences. Which I could magnify our likenesses in a nanosecond?
    I personally believe it is the most wretched false religion that ever found its way out of the bowels of hell.

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I say it is the cesspool of hell.

The RCC may not fit all the criteria for a cult, but they are definately a false religion. It doesn't matter if a cult or not. If you believe it's doctrines you will go to hell.

All christian type religions have similarities to true christianity making them more dangerous to the unlearned.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

It depends Shannon on what you use as the defining characteristics for a cult.

Type "Opus Dei" into Google, and you will get back many pages on what is considered to be the largest Catholic Cult.

4. icthus

icthus New Member

Does the Roman Catholic Church believe in

Salvation: by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone?

In all these, it is a NO.

They are vertainly not Biblical Christian

5. icthus

icthus New Member

Sorry, "certainly"

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now what?

Is anyone praying for their deliverance as individuals? The Mother of Harlots changes only on the outside.

Not much is attracted with vinegar.

Selah,

Bro. James

7. gopchad

gopchad New Member

It is a cult. I cringe when I hear an evangelical refer to our Catholic bretheren. A Catholic can find Christ, but they will not find Christ in the teachings of the Catholic "church" any more than a Mormon will find Christ in the COJCOLDS.

Chad

8. Rosemary

Rosemary New Member

I am an ex catholic. Was born and raised in it till I was in my early 30's when I became a widow and met a Baptist and he showed me the TRUTH> As a child I never heard of a Bible as my parents were strict catholics. They believe the way to heaven is by works on this earth and we all know that is incorrect. Only way to Heaven is thru Jesus, the Son of God. They have many strange things that they do in their church, they also adore icons, statues, saints etc.

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that we have identified the Queen of Cults--all the way back to Nimrod if you will, are we praying for God to call them out of darkness into His marvelous light?

Where were you when Jesus found you? Where are you now?

All the saved were in the same pit. Let us pray for those still in that "miry clay".

Selah,

Bro. James

10. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Cult? - No
    False? - Yes

Don't use the word cult just because you want to make them sound as bad as possible.

11. RTG

RTG New Member

Ok,coven-yes

12. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Bro.James, I am in complete agreement with you here. Many times, we fail to pray for Catholics...instead we pray for those who seem to live a more wretched life - like crime, drugs, violence, alcohol, poverty, etc. We don't need to pray for people who are already in church, right? Yet, there are many of us that have family and friends that are trapped in the RCC system, and are afraid to renounce it for fear of losing their salvation through "the church."

I can't tell you how many times I've sat across from a Catholic friend, using their Catholic bible to lead them to a saving knowledge of Christ, only to have them stop short for fear of leaving the Catholic church...even when they knew what I was saying was right.

I'm not saying "pray for the Catholic church." But I am saying, "pray for Catholic people."

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

14. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Memo:

We are talking about the DOCTRINE of RC not the people who are ensnared by it. The better handle we have on the fallacies of RC doctrine the better we can witness to those in the RC church.

15. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

...sorry...

16. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not many are persuaded by "stomping" the religion into which they were born and raised.

Selah,

Bro. James

17. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I don't think you can classify the RCC as a cult because of their affirmation of the Trinity, Incarnation and the Deity of Christ. To say it is a cult implies there are no Christians in it. I believe there are many believers in it despite the RCC's defective view of the Gospel. They are saved despite that.

Rome is corrupted with Semi-Pelagian theology BUT then again so is much of Evangelical Christianity.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use this as my basic operating asumption in dealing with the Roman\Eastern Catholic Churchs. No matter what their vocabulary, they are as much a false religion as the Hindus and Buddhists

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

[​IMG]

20. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Bro. James: Now that we have identified the Queen of Cults--all the way back to Nimrod if you will, are we praying for God to call them out of darkness into His marvelous light?

I would hope we all pray for the people enslaved in the RCC system. But we are discussing Catholicisim itself. It is spawned of Satan as a way to lead millions to hell. Just one of his many false religions'.