1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Salvation Accepting Jesus Into My Heart?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Piper, Sep 8, 2023.

1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not quite (and the part of your post that was not based on quoted scripture).

You make it sound like God is just waiting anxiously for us to DO SOMETHING so that He can jump in and save us. Scripture says that we are DEAD in our sins until God jumps in and does something [Ephesians 2:4-5] (But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our wrongdoings, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved).) and that this faith is “not of ourselves, it is the gift of God” [Ephesians 2:8].

As Romans 8:28-29 (For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.) illustrates a salvation that is the work of God from FIRST (He predestined) to LAST (He glorified).

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @atpollard why the hyperbole? God is not waiting anxiously but He is waiting for us to do something before He will save us. You continue to read verses in isolation. Being dead in our sins does not mean that one can not hear and respond to the gospel message as you seem to think. You seem to forget that the gospel is the power of God for salvation. {Romans 1:16} [I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes]

We have to respond to the gospel message with faith in His son. {Ephesians 1:13} [In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvationhaving also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,] That is why Paul tells us that we are saved by grace through faith. {Ephesians 2:8} [For by grace you have been saved through faith] How can you miss the truth of scripture, first one believes in the risen Christ then one is saved

The bible is clear enough that you should be able to grasp this truth. {Romans 10:8-10} ["THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.]

Romans 8:29-30 [For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.] This is a wonderful passage that all Christians should rejoice in. God has determined that all those that He knows will freely trust in His risen Son will be conformed to His image. This is so sure that Paul can write this all in the past tense as if they were all completed even though we will not be justified or glorified until we respond to the call in faith.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It is giving your heart to Jesus; a long with everything else to Him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will deal with your 3 points in order;

Point #1
    YES, Indeed, Yes. However the response of God for doing what he says for us to do, believe what he says. is not that he "jumps in to save us" but that he "enters in to save us" in the person of the Spirit.

This present age, after he cross.
    Ro 4:23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
    24 But for us also, to whom it (righteousness) shall be imputed, if we believe on him (God the Father) that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Acts 10:5 And now send men to Joppa, and call for one Simon, whose surname is Peter:
    6 He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by the sea side: he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do.
    Ac 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
    Ac 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
    Ac 11:13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
    14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
    15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
    16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
    17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
    Peter simply told them what to do is to believe the gospel and they will be saved. (receive the Spirit of Christ into their bodies to quicken them)

Ac 16:29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
    30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
    31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

There is something to do and it is to believe the gospel when you hear it.

Point #2
    Did you not read the verses I gave for my points in my previous posts, number 9 and number 16?. His entering in to our mortal bodies is life from the dead. Our mortal bodies are not what you Calvinists have preached they are. They are not dead in the sense they are without ability to function and feel and live. Being dead then cannot mean they are completely unable to do anything. I think you call that "total inability." It is a senseless doctrine with 7 billion people who are alive on earth proving they can do things with their bodies that are sins against God for which they will be judged and condemned, though they are spiritually dead.

Read this and believe what you read and it will help you.

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

You say, and I have read Calvinists saying it, that Calvinists are his before the Spirit enters into them to dwell in their bodies. This is denial of truth.

10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin (apply your definition of death here and see how it cannot fit); but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
    11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
    Without the Spirit indwelling the body, they are dead.(this does not mean their bodies are lying inert on the ground, it means they are separated from God)
    With God indwelling the body, they are alive because his presence in their bodies quickens them, because he is life. How many times did Jesus Christ say he is life? (Jn 14:6: jn 11:25, etc)
    I do not know how you men can read these verses and see everything except what they actually say.
    What God wants sinners to do is to believe the gospel of Christ, having heard it. HIs promise is that he will give them life (the Spirit) if they will.

Point #3
    God will never give light and understanding through a perversion of his words like your translation. There is no way to agree on the doctrines of the bible if we are reading different words. The glorification of the body by creating it new at the gathering is the definition of predestination. we believers are waiting on that, we are hoping for it.

Ro 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    Ro 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

29 For whom he (God the Father) did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

The image of his Son when this letter was written in 58 AD was tripartite. Soul and Spirit in a glorified body. This is a body like unto the glorious body of Jesus, which will provide the capacity to dwell physically in the heavenlies where he is. This is the blessed hope of the church.

Php 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
    21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Predestination is to finally be glorified and taken to heaven where Jesus is. If each one of us were glorified and taken to heaven when we first got saved, there would not be a predestination doctrine. Since all the church saints will be glorified and taken to heaven together at the same time and as one, it means that our destination has been predetermined to be the Fathers house in heaven. Praise the Lord for this.

Joh 14:2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, (it is New Jerusalem- Re 21:9) I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

I suggest reading the context of all these verses I have given you from a KJV Bible. If one understands God he must have God's words.

• Like Like x 1
  5. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus started it ... "log in your own eye" ... "cut off your hand".
    Paul continued it ... "emasculate themselves" ... "dead in our sin".
    I was just carrying on a "family tradition". ;)

(The rest of your content was just General Baptist nonsense, which under the Baptist Distinctive of Individual Soul Liberty, you are entitled to believe ... no matter how wrong it is compared to the Particular Baptist Truth that is found throughout Scripture.) :Cool

#25 atpollard, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  6. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can stop here ... God is either the FIRST CAUSE or God is not "in control".
    Predicating the actions of God on the actions of man makes God responding to an outside force (by definition, God is no longer the First Cause, but a Second or Third Cause). That requires DUALISM ... two Gods each acting as "Uncaused Causes" in conflict with each other. Dualism is not Biblical.

God's actions and decisions MUST be motivated and controlled by nothing outside of God himself. That is necessary for God to be the First Cause and that is what Scripture describes through verses like "before the foundation of the world".

There is no need to move beyond the first point. Once the very DEFINITION of God is flawed, the house of cards falls.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

"First cause" is not a Bible doctrine. It is made up from a fertile mind. A person must guess what you are even talking about.

Bible doctrines come from the scriptures and are taught by the Holy Spirit, who dwells in the hearts of all believers in Christ. He is THE "gift" of God the Father to all who will receive him by faith in Christ. He does not dwell in the big toe or the pinky on the left hand. He dwells in the heart. The heart is the "control center" of the soul and body.

8. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have not heard of this Baptist Distinctive of Individual Soul Liberty that seems to be a bogyman for you.But I see you do not deal with scripture but just make unrelated comments. So you realize that your position can not be defended.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Baptist distinctive of soul liberty means that on areas where the Bible does not provide a clear directive it is a matter of individual conscience.

Playing the lottery is a good example.

Decades ago people would explain it as "where the Bible is silent, we are silent".

It never really works out that way, but it is a part of what it means to be "Baptist".

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why Salty calls Baptist Heinz 57, there are many orders of Baptist that don't agree with each other, so they can't fellowship with each other, though they're both Christians but there even a disagreement if they are, among other Baptist... Are Baptist, Baptist?... There are many factions of Baptist, not all Baptist are the same... Here's what google says... Currently, there are over 64 separate Baptist denominations in the United States and the diversity is surprising. For example, Primitive Baptists ardently defend predestination; so do Regular Baptists and Reformed Baptists... Soul Liberty... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we all know I'm the right kinda Baptist ...right? :Tongue

12. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    First Cause = "God did it." (whatever "it" is)

• [Isa 45:5-13 NKJV] 5 I [am] the LORD, and [there is] no other; [There is] no God besides Me. I will gird you, though you have not known Me, 6 That they may know from the rising of the sun to its setting That [there is] none besides Me. I [am] the LORD, and [there is] no other; 7 I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the LORD, do all these [things].' 8 "Rain down, you heavens, from above, And let the skies pour down righteousness; Let the earth open, let them bring forth salvation, And let righteousness spring up together. I, the LORD, have created it. 9 "Woe to him who strives with his Maker! [Let] the potsherd [strive] with the potsherds of the earth! Shall the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?' Or shall your handiwork [say], 'He has no hands'? 10 Woe to him who says to [his] father, 'What are you begetting?' Or to the woman, 'What have you brought forth?' " 11 Thus says the LORD, The Holy One of Israel, and his Maker: "Ask Me of things to come concerning My sons; And concerning the work of My hands, you command Me. 12 I have made the earth, And created man on it. I--My hands--stretched out the heavens, And all their host I have commanded. 13 I have raised him up in righteousness, And I will direct all his ways; He shall build My city And let My exiles go free, Not for price nor reward," Says the LORD of hosts.
    • [Rom 8:28-30 NKJV] 28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to [His] purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined [to be] conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
    • [Eph 1:3-14 NKJV] 3 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly [places] in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth--in Him. 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also [trusted], after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah!... I'm a Baptist and you're a Baptist!... Our calling card is we Baptize... We don't sprinkle!... Brother Glen:Biggrin

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not play the lottery so it seems I do not qualify.:Biggrin

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But as a Baptist you could :Wink .

Here's a funny story. I normally don't play the lottery. But I normally don't carry cash. I had $10 in my pocket and bought a $10 scratch off just to get rid of it. Won $50.

The cashier was new. He rang out the ticket but didn't have $50 in his drawer. His boss was angry with him and they didn't know what to do. I said just ring out $50 in tickets (figuring they'd be worthless....and they were). That made his register right. :Laugh

16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you be so kind as to underline the doctrine of "first cause" in these passages. What would have happened to the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8 if it would have been you who met him in Gaza instead of Phillip. He was reading Isaiah but needed some man to guide him, he said, in the meaning of Isa 53. What would you have done, just read Isaiah 53 again? IOW, you have taught nothing from this passage by just quoting it from a bad translation. You have especially not shown us from these passages how they teach the doctrine of "first cause."

Seriously, if you had a million studious Christians to show up to read your defense of the doctrine of first cause from the passages above, how many do you think would be convinced? I accused you of seeing things that are not there in the text. You make up doctrines. You have now proven me right. But the good news is; it is not too late to repent and find someone like Phillip in Acts 8 to teach you the right way.

17. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry.
    I defined first cause as “God did it”.

If you cannot see where God was doing “it” in each of the passages that I quoted, I cannot help you.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does God want with our decietful and wicked heart?

19. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quoting random passages and creating your own context for them called "it" is a sign you and the fellow who applauded you have some very serious issues to deal with. Who would mistake this kind of silliness for serious study?

20. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever been asked to, 'say a few words'?

In order to "save your soul"???

Romans 10:8

"But what saith it?

"The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart:

"that is, the word of faith, which we preach;"

I inserted "Christ, came down from heaven, fulfilled the law, and died, and rose again from the dead" in this bold black font in some places, to reiterate what the Gospel is, and knowing what it says about the Gospel being preached is the means by which God accompanies it with His Spirit's Enablement, for the previously dead soul to be able to Spiritually hear it after being given the New Birth by the Holy Spirit.

After being saved, an individual's saved soul will show that their testimony includes two things, first, that they now have the God-given ability "that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus" and second, "shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead", which is the Gospel; Christ, came down from heaven, fulfilled the law, and died, and rose again from the dead, that had been preached to them, that the Holy Spirit used in granting them the New Birth. That's what would indicate to us a soul has been saved until we can also see the life of repentance and faith they are professing that they have been given, in the Eternal Salvation of their soul.

Concerning, "thou shalt be saved", Gill says,

"and shall believe in thine heart,
    that God hath raised him from the dead,
    thou shalt be saved"
    ;

"for this article of Christ's resurrection includes the several other articles of faith: it supposes his death, and that supposes his life, and the obedience of it;

"and his life implies his being here on earth, and that his coming down from heaven to do the will of his Father;

"and this is the rather mentioned, which is here ascribed to God the Father, though not to the exclusion of the Son and Spirit, because that Christ is risen again for our justification, with which true faith is principally concerned;

"for such a faith is intended, not which lies in a mere assent to the truth of this, or any other article of the Christian religion;

"but which is concerned with Christ for righteousness, life, and glory; and with such faith salvation is certainly and inseparably connected."

Salvation or faith in Jesus Christ is never accomplished by a dead sinner's "works of righteousness", if they are making a mere assent to the truth regarding Jesus Christ, historically and in their flesh, thinking that by saying when they were told to just say and to 'ask Jesus' into their 'heart' that they had asked Him for salvation of their soul.

That soul would have been deceived into believing that they have now obtained a home in Heaven, only by that act of, 'giving their heart to the Lord', or 'confessing and believing', in their flesh, apart from the Regenerating Operation of the Holy Spirit having granted them repentance of their personal sins and faith in the Person and Work of Jesus Christ.

FIRST: A LOST SOUL is dead and must be given the conviction of their sins and be granted repentance from their sins, about them personally having Offended the Eternal Thrice-Holy God, and having then seen their sins to repent of them, after having been shown by the Holy Spirit that it WAS the sins of people like them that nailed Jesus to the cross, killing Him, contained in the Gospel preached (Christ, came down from heaven, fulfilled the law, and died, and rose again from the dead), then;

Second: THAT LOST SOUL
    IS ALSO given genuine SPIRITUAL faith by God, again having been Enabled to hear the Gospel (Christ, came down from heaven, fulfilled the law, and died, and rose again from the dead), by the Holy Spirit in their New Spiritual Birth from above, in order for them to believe in Jesus' Eternal Work of Salvation that has just saved their soul.

Salvation of the lost soul is never accomplished by the repetition of a euphemism, proposal, admonition, recommendation, advice, counsel, or tip, telling them that all they have to do is "say a few words" and "ask Jesus into your heart", without the Spiritual Activity of God in Salvation, by the New Birth.

To "ask Jesus into your heart", is a false gospel, another gospel, and is not of God, leaving lost souls to be deceived without God, thinking that they became saved Christians and can sing that 'all is well with their soul', to high Heaven.

But not so, if they have been deceived by Satan and this lie of his, when with their Eternally condemned, sin-cursed spiritually dead, blind, powerless, soul they only 'say a few words' that they been told by a false teacher to say.

I'm saying that Jesus is the Savior.