1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Seventh-Day Adventism a Cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by thatbrian, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

I have watched and read thousands of pages and hundreds and upwards of hours on this subject. Will you discuss?

Beginning, and before I get into the OT sources ["... the Masoretic Text as published in the latest editions of Biblia Hebraica, was used throughout. The Dead Sea Scrolls contain material bearing on an earlier stage of the Hebrew Text. They were consulted, as were the Samarian Pentateuch and the ancient scribal traditions relating to textual changes. Sometimes a variant Hebrew reading in the margin of the Masoretic text was followed instead of the text itself. Such instances, being variants within the Masoretic tradition, are not specified by footnotes. In rare cases, words in the consonantal text were divided differently from the way they appear in the Masoretic text. Footnotes indicate this. The translators also consulted the more important early versions—the Septuagint; Aquila, Symmachus and Theodotion; the Vulgate; the Syriac Peshitta; the Targums; and for the Psalms the Juxta Hebraica of Jerome. ..." - New International Version Preface (1983) or similarly - New International Version Preface (2011) ], let me ask you then, According to the NIV member Kenneth L. Barker, what were the primary sources of the NIV in its Greek textual base?:

"... "What Greek text was used by the translators of the NIV New Testament. It was basically that found in the United Bible Society’s and Nestle’s printed Greek New Testaments, which contain the latest and best Greek text available.

"In many passages there is no way of being absolutely certain as to what was the original reading because the best Greek manuscripts, both earlier and later ones, have variant readings. In such cases the translators were asked to weigh the evidence carefully and make their own decision. Of course such decisions were subject to reexamination by the Committee on Bible Translation." (The NIV: The Making of a Contemporary Translation, Edwin H. Palmer, edited by Kenneth L. Barker, Chapter 4., The Rationale for an Eclectic New Testament, p. 53.) ..." - The NIV.

"... The Greek text used in translating the New Testament is an eclectic one, based on the latest editions of the Nestle-Aland/United Bible Societies’ Greek New Testament. The committee has made its choices among the variant readings in accordance with widely accepted principles of New Testament textual criticism. ..." - Foreward/Preface to the 2011 NIV - New International Version Preface (2011)

Do you agree with Edwin H. Palmer, and Kenneth L. Barker [NASB, NIV], that the primary sources utilized as the Greek textual base for the NIV, were basically the editions of UBS [United Bibles Society] and [Eberhard] Nestle's [and Kurt Aland's etal.] Greek New Testament/s?

If you agree. Then we can move to further questions about the man/men behind them, the Jesuits and Carlo Maria Martini, S.J.,, and the textual basis themselves of the Codex Aleph, Codex B, Codex A, Codex C , D, E, the egyptian/alexandrian papyrii, etc....

If you do not agree, then please state why, and give the source/s with quotation/s which offer more accurate information.

#101 One Baptism, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mind if I repost this in another thread? I want to make sure this one doesn't get derailed. You sound very knowledgeable on this topic and I think I can learn a lot from you. But I think dedicating a thread on the topic would better ensure that it gets the attention it deserves.

3. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Sure, I do not mind [and didn't want to derail it either, I get excited :) ], and it doesn't have to be right away if you do not desire it. There is quite a bit of threads up already, and we can exhaust these first if you would like, or if not, I can still spend some time just with you, in the new thread.

4. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds good. I read your pm. I did not take any offense. I just want to respect the OP by staying on topic. I also looked in the archives and found numerous threads on the topic. So I will probably read some of them first. I would also like to say that I am in no way an expert on the subject. I took a hermeneutics class at Bethel Theological Seminary while working towards my M.Div. So much of my knowledge is referenced from the notes in my class and a few books I have read on the topic. I would like to learn more though.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John the Apostle was the last inspired writer/speaker for God, any other being claimed are false and not of God!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do , but we trust in the illumination from the Holy Spirit, not a false prophetess under a false spirit!

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

more creative writing?

Here is an idea.

More Bible.... less creative writing

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Spirit Himself stated that revelation closed off the inspired revelation from God to us....

Ellen White has only 2 real sources for all of her theology, either herself, or demonic!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Odd that you keep "quoting yourself" as if we "read you" as scripture.

Why keep doing that?

Do you need it to then setup the following vitriol that you post?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you see EW as being same as the Apostles? Did she see the risen Christ, did he talk to her, did he commission her?

11. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are the only options, and of those options, one makes her a false prophet and the other makes her a. . . false prophet.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but option 2 much worse, as in being given directly her theology from the same One that spoke to Adam and Eve...

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    why...
    do..
    you...
    continue...
    to..
    quote..
    "you"... as If "I said" what you say???

Trying to get you to basic communication skills 101 here. I am happy to have a discussion but you have to master the basics.

14. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we do know is that her source was not God. We know that because when we "test the spirits", she fails where she deviates from scripture.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    self-quoting pontifical statements need an entire system around them like the Papacy - to be taken seriously

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Having posted no Bible study at all on the Bible definition of a prophet you appear shocked "to see it".

How sad.

Choose the Bible my friend.

Numbers 12
    and He called Aaron and Miriam. When they had both come forward, 6 He said,
    “Hear now My words:
    If there is a prophet among you,
    I, the Lord, shall make Myself known to him in a vision.
    I shall speak with him in a dream.

7 “Not so, with My servant Moses,
    He is faithful in all My household;
    8 With him I speak mouth to mouth,
    Even openly, and not in dark sayings,
    And he beholds the form of the Lord.
    Why then were you not afraid
    To speak against My servant, against Moses?”

By your false accusations against the gift -- you make it appear that it would be sin to speak what God had told you to speak - rather the prophet should (just as you keep doing) make stuff up. And you appear to condemn "not making stuff up".

Are you even serious??

No wonder even Walter Martin would not choose the path you appear to have unwittingly selected ... it is too self-conflicted to hold water.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True - by holding to inaccuracy in the way things are defined and the negative means they wish to convey - they tend to shoot themselves in the foot

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EW wrote down stuff that was not in agreement with the scriptures, so was a false prophetess. Period!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God gave forth NO MORE additional prophets/apostles to the church after Apostolic Age!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that the Niv, or any modern version, are all bad?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.