1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is sin a disease?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Just_Ahead, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recently I heard a theology professor refer to sin as a disease that we all inherit. The professor's text was Luke 5:12-16, Jesus healing the leper.

I am asking because I am interested in what others have to say.

Is sin is a disease?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can be illustrated that way I suppose (Scripture uses the word "infirmity" to speak of the consequences of sin... Jesus shared in our infirmity) but beyond illustration I do not know how well it would stand up. Perhaps not a disease but it's cause?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    all who have been born, save for Jesus, have been infected by it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, sin is not a disease. Eve was not sick when she ate from the tree--she was disobedient.

Genesis 3:2-3 (KJV) And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which [is] in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it will depend on what one means by “disease.” In Psalm 103:3, “diseases” seems to be used in a moral sense, as a parallelism of “iniquity.” Commentators are divided on the issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Noah Hirsch

Noah Hirsch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It depends on what you mean by disease. Sin is inherent in fallen man’s nature. It is not a disease in the sense that we are not responsible and accountable for God for our own sin. It certainly through the transgression of one man Adam has spread to all men, so that we all consequently have a sinful nature.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sin is still sin, with all sinners accountable to God for our actions. Yet, IMO sin can be seen as an infection starting with Adam to all his progeny.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Benyamin

Benyamin New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think sin can be portrayed as a disease, most accurately as leprosy. Isaiah 64:6 "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags...". Unclean, in this context, is referring to a leprous person, who were required to declare their status "Unclean!" in public. And the "filthy rags" referring to the rags used to wrap the leprous spots, which would catch the oozing from the wounds. (Gross, right?). Further, Leprosy was a disease that began inward, and unnoticed. In the end, it was very much noticed by everyone. It was also impossible to be cured by yourself, and required supernatural intervention. Sounds like a pretty good picture of sin. Sin [singular] is an inward issue of the heart, which manifests itself as sins [pl.] on the outside.

But personally, I take my view of sin from the first mention of it in Scripture, Genesis 4:7 " If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."

The verb for "lieth" in this passage is attributive of an animal lying in wait. Sin is personified as an animal, "lying in wait" at your doorstep, waiting for you to "not do well". This "animal" Sin is further personified by saying he has a desire, and he is to be ruled over. Now, I'll use the Hebrew word used here for sin, "Khata", to refer to this "animal".

It's interesting, because "if thou doest not well" has the same meaning as "if you sin" (Sin is "missing the mark", failure to "do well" and be accepted, and "falling short"). But, in this passage, it's basically saying (paraphrase) "If you sin, then Khata lieth in wait at the door for you...". Also, take note it says "sin lieth at the door" and not "your sins...". Sin is understood as a singular being, and not necessarily just a list of our particular transgressions.

So, if you chose the path of sin, then Khata is there waiting for you. He will seize the opportunity to pounce on you, and have his way with you, like a lion plays with it's defenseless victim. As the scripture says, "Unto thee shall be his desire". How sad, that we would rather play with this animal as if it were a puppy!

So, I think sin is portrayed as both a leprous disease, and also a ravening animal. Both carry different images with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that sin is described by analogy but I stick with the idea from the Book of Common Prayer that we have done those things that we ought not to have done and we have left undone those things that we ought to have done and there is no health in us.

Sin is by thought, word, and deed. It's the lowest paying job for the wages of sin is death.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    satan really did undersell what he was offering Adam and eve!

• Like Like x 1
  11. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know that it qualifies as a disease, but I do believe it's a biological reality that we are unable to escape in our earthly bodies. I believe it's ingrained in us in a very real and bodily form

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan is an accuser of the brethren and he goes about as a raging Lion seeking whom he may devour... He can throw it in our face telling us what we should have done and didn't... See he says, you belong to me!... Perish the thought, don't concentrate on the sin, concentrate on the remedy... Jesus Christ The Righteous!... Then the devil SHALL flee!... Brother Glen:)

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

• Like Like x 3