1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Some Instrumental Music the Devil's Music?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Scripture More Accurately, Oct 1, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Unsure

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your second statement seems to be a denial that any instrumental music can be objectively judged to be good or evil. Is that what you believe?

How instrumental music sounds to a human ear is not necessarily an objective indicator of whether it is good or evil.

Do you believe that there is instrumental music (apart from any lyrics) that turns people away from God so that God abhors that music?

Although what you have written is worth discussing, how does it relate to your understanding of whether some instrumental music is of the devil?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I
    [QUOTE="Scripture More Accurately,

As for your congregation's placing "next-to-no weight on music," what does that mean?[/QUOTE]

I'm through discussing 'devil's mucic', as my belief against it won't change, & we're gonna hafta to just agree to disagree about it, but to answer your above question, our church doesn't have a choir, & recorded music is only played occasionally during such events as foot-washing or Communion. Our church services usually consist of church news(Ill members, births, deaths, marriages, etc.) a sermon, & altar call. Music plays a very minor role in our services.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many years ago the "MLK choir" from Atlanta sang in our church.
    The harmony and style of the music was absolutely fantastic. IIRC, we were told that this style was typical, authentic African music.
    If so, I could have listened for many hours - uninterrupted.:):):)

4. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm through discussing 'devil's mucic', as my belief against it won't change, & we're gonna hafta to just agree to disagree about it, but to answer your above question, our church doesn't have a choir, & recorded music is only played occasionally during such events as foot-washing or Communion. Our church services usually consist of church news(Ill members, births, deaths, marriages, etc.) a sermon, & altar call. Music plays a very minor role in our services.[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Unless you have some basis for continuing to comment that you do not believe such and such, further discussion is pointless.

How you and your ministry reconcile having music play "a very minor role" in your services with what Scripture teaches about the importance of music in the worship of God is a mystery to me.

5. evi

evi New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Yes, I believe some specific music is not from inspired from God and even worse the people who have created it have evil and specific intentions.
    Because I enjoy instrumental music whenever I want to pray one of my favorite is this page on youtube AdFoc.us
    Hope you check it out and understand what I was saying.
    Blessings

6. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just googled adfoc.us to find out what it is. Given the warnings that I found about clicking on such links, I am not going to check it out. If you want to put regular youtube links and provide more specific information about whatever that instrumental music is . . .