1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the "altar call" Biblical?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by michael-acts17:11, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Allan, I wish I had said what I meant as concisely and as well as Jim1999 did. That's what I was trying to say with too many words.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

LOL...While I was a little curious to some of your statements, in truth, I'm just being ornery Tom. :)

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You? Ornery? Naaaaah.

BTW, it has taken a long time for me to get used to saying ornery. In the South, where I grew up, we pronounced it "onnery."

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Amen to this, Bro. Jim!!!

This is the VERY REASON why I hate them!! Too much theatrics!!

#144 convicted1, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Look, I know that church worship is for the body of Christ only, because only they who have been born again, can truly worship Him. But, I went to church to hear what I must do in order to be saved. And those God called preachers told me what it was I must do, repent, believe the Gospel, and be baptized. This is why I say that church is for sinners, too. Sure, they can't worship God as a sinner, but they sure can find Him sweet to their soul!!

When God blesses me to preach, I preach more to the sinners than I do the CHRISTians!! I truly believe that God called me to preach this way!! I want sinners to see themselves for what they really are, and for what Jesus really is!! So, by God calling me this way, that is why I believe this the way I do.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

That was how I spelled it originally, but spell check corrected me:)

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

This is the VERY REASON why I hate them!! Too much theatrics!!

Not everyone does this. So, should others stop because someone down the street or in anothe state abuses them or because you hate them?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been a topic again and again on the BB. Way past 10-page limit, but appreciate good discussion.

The answer to the op is simple to find. See anywhere in the NT where an altar call (not an invitation; every sermon should include an proposition to "do" or "respond") is given?

If the answer is "no", then it is NOT biblical. (Biblical = in the Bible). This doesn't mean "un"biblical. Padded pews and electricity aren't in the Bible either.

Get your thoughts expressed? Hope so, since we need to close this one down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.