1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is The Christian under still the OT sabbath day?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Oct 19, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

>Well i figure because Jesus was keeping the 7th day of the week that He more than likely got it right.

But that was in the previous dispensation. <G>

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course that was the Jewish application and indeed it had to have some kind of application to the week as one day of rest followed by six and preceded by six days does fall on one day "of the week."

However, that does not prove the command itself is RESTRICTED to any day "of the week" and in fact it could not be as God's own application would and did violate any such RESTRICTION.

Hence, the true balance is the fourth commanded INCLUDED such an application to one day in seven but was not restricted to any particular day in seven or restricted merely to a 24 hour day as it was equally applied to the seventh "month" which by the way was also the "first" month as they had two calander years (civil and religious) as well as to years.

3. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

So billwald, when do you say the new dispensation began

ACTS 17 [2] AND PAUL, AS HIS MANNER WAS, went in unto them, and three SABBATH DAYS reasoned with them out of the scriptures,[3] Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

This is after the risen Christ. Paul was still keeping the sabbath.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You keep posting an antinomian position.Christians are law keepers in Christ.

Love is the FULFILLING of the LAW.You are posting the same errors over and over and are not responding to the scriptures offered to you.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

We do not keep the commandments in order to be saved/justified or go to heaven but we keep his commandments because we love him.

We are not under the administration of the Old Covenant and its commandments but under the administration of the New Covenant which already has the law fufilled in the heart given us in regeneration as the law is written upon it.

Love does not fulfil the law for justification as justification by law requires sinless perfection and his enemies have no capability or desire to love God.

Love is the standard by which children of God are judged for blessings and rewards because only children are in a relationship of love to the Father.

We love him because he first loved us and the law of God is written on our hearts in regeneration and thus fulfilled in heart. Our inward and outward actions are judged according to the motive of that new inward man.

However, apart from the power of the indwelling Spirit we may have all the motive to do good but are incapable of expressing that desire in our life (Rom. 7:14-25).

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother,

This post is music to my eyes. There are way too many "Law huggers" on here. The Law was abolished in Christ, in that we now are kept by His power. Under the Law, they had to keep it. Now, Grace keeps us. IMHHO, you're spot on here. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Grace trumps the Law all day, every day.

8. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Psalm 119:163-166 (KJV)
    163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.
    164 Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments.
    165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
    166 LORD, I have hoped for thy salvation, and done thy commandments.

Yeah convicted. I do love Gods law.

#148 Chowmah, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012
  9. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

trumps???

Proverbs 4:1-9 (KJV)
    1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
    2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
    3 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
    4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
    5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
    6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
    7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
    9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

trumps???

10. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

NEW TESTAMENT "LAW HUGGIN" SCRIPTURES

DO YOU WANT ETERNAL LIFE
    MATT.19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

DO YOU KNOW GOD
    1 JOHN 2 [1] My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [3] AND HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

HAVE YOU BEEN TAUGHT “JUST BELIEVE” AND YOU WILL BE SAVED
    JAMES 2 [19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: THE DEVILS ALSO BELIEVE, and tremble.

DO YOU LOVE GOD
    1 JOHN 5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. [2] BY THIS WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, WHEN WE LOVE GOD, AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

DO YOU WANT GODS HOLY SPIRIT
    JOHN 14 [15] If ye love me, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;[17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

HAS HEAVEN AND EARTH PASSED – YIKES! WHAT AM I STANDING ON?
    MATT.5 [17] Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.[18] For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

WANT TO BE ONE OF GODS SAINTS
    REV.14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God, and the faith of Jesus

BEEN TAUGHT DUE TO FAITH WE NEED NOT KEEP GODS COMMANDMENTS
    ROMANS 3 [31] Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

WANT TO ENTER THE CITY - THE 1000yr PERIOD OF REST
    REV.22 [14] Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city

IS GODS SABBATH COMMANDMENT GRIEVOUS TO YOU
    1JOHN.5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.[3] For this is the love of God, that WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: AND HIS COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT GRIEVOUS.

JAMES 2 [10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and YET OFFEND IN ONE POINT, HE IS GUILTY OF ALL.[11] For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.[12] So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Do you believe keeping the law is necessary to be justified, saved and enter heaven?

OR

Do you beleive that saved, justified, heaven going people keep the commandments of God out of love for God and for rewards in heaven?

12. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

I believe you must observe to keep Gods 10 commandments {you will fall short, filthy rags} in order to recieve the free gift of grace and enter the kingdom.

13. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Its the law {10 commandments} and the testimony {of Christ}

ISAIAH 8 [16] Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.[17] And I WILL WAIT UPON THE LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.[18] Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.[19] And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?[20] TO THE LAW AND TO THE TESTIMONY: IF THEY SPEAK NOT ACCORDING TO THIS WORD, IT IS BECAUSE THERE IS NO LIGHT IN THEM.

Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my diciples and wait on the Lord. To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them (explained right after John 3{16}). Didn’t Jesus say that he was the light of the world?

PSALM 78 [1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. [2] I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN A PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old: [3] Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. [4] We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done. [5] For HE ESTABLISHED A TESTIMONY IN JACOB, AND APPOINTED A LAW IN ISRAEL, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children: [6] That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children: [7] THAT THEY MIGHT SET THEIR HOPE IN GOD, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS:

Who opened his mouth in a parable? Yup, Jesus Christ. And this scripture says he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, that they might set their hope in God and KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS.

PSALM 119 [32] I will run the way of THY COMMANDMENTS, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.(2COR.6 v.11) [33] Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end. [34] Give me understanding, and I SHALL KEEP THY LAW; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart. [35] Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight. [36] Incline my heart unto THY TESTIMONIES, and not to covetousness. [37] Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way. [38] Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear. [39] Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good. [40] Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness. [41] Let thy mercies come also unto me, O Lord, EVEN THY SALVATION, according to thy word.

Here again we find it’s the law (commandments) and the testimony (of Jesus) and this leads to SALVATION.

PSALM 119 [165] Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them. [166] Lord, I have hoped for thy SALVATION, and done THY COMMANDMENTS. [167] My soul hath kept thy testimonies; and I love them exceedingly. [168] I have kept thy precepts and THY TESTIMONIES: for all my ways are before thee.

and here again

REV.12 [16] And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.[17] And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, WHICH KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, AND HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS CHRIST.

WHICH KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, AND HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS CHRIST.

NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SON.

14. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

A few more scriptures

PSALM 132 [11] The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne. [12] If thy children will keep MY COVENANT AND MY TESTIMONY that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore. [13] FOR THE LORD HATH CHOSEN ZION; HE HATH DESIRED IT FOR HIS HABITATION. [14] THIS IS MY REST FOR EVER: HERE WILL I DWELL; FOR I HAVE DESIRED IT. [15] I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread. [16] I will also clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall shout aloud for joy. [17] There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed.

Headin for Zion. 1000yr period of rest

PSALM 25 [9] The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. [10] ALL THE PATHS OF THE LORD ARE MERCY AND TRUTH UNTO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT AND HIS TESTIMONIES. [11] For thy name's sake, O Lord, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great. [12] What man is he that feareth the Lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose. [13] His soul shall dwell at ease; and HIS SEED SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.

inherit the earth

ISAIAH 2 [2] And it shall come to pass IN THE LAST DAYS, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. [3] And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth THE LAW, AND THE WORD of the Lord from Jerusalem.

ZECH.8 [23] Thus saith the LORD of hosts; IN THOSE DAYS it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

PSALM 19 [5] Which is as A BRIDEGROOM coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.[6] His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.[7] THE LAW OF THE LORD IS PERFECT, CONVERTING THE SOUL: THE TESTIMONY OF THE LORD IS SURE, making wise the simple.[8] The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.[9] The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.[10] More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Who do the many claim is the bridegroom?

15. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Ya see i dont believe David Koresh, Jim Jones {the koolaid kid} or Hitler who in his youth as a believer enrolled in a monestary to become a catholic priest will recieve the free gift. Do you? Why not?

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Answer the question and quit side stepping it!

17. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Show me that love Biblicist

Answered post 152

18. billwald

billwald New Member

>Do you beleive that saved, justified, heaven going people keep the commandments of God out of love for God

This is what the Heidelberg Catechism teaches.

>and for rewards in heaven?

God takes bribes?

19. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Doesnt the catholic church do that? What is that called? If ya give them so much money you can buy your way into heaven? Whats that called?

20. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Googled it

The New York Times reports that even though the church officially broke with the age-old practice -- you do something good, and the Church will help absolve you -- in 1960, the Pope has quietly reintroduced it. The Catholic Church had technically banned the practice of selling indulgences as long ago as 1567.

indulgences