1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the Church a charitable institution?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Well, I'm just saying that it seems you have a propensity to find excuses why you should keep hopping around from church to church to church and then not church.

It seems you attend one and then when the pressure of responsibility to be faithful weighs down on you, you start looking for faults in that church to justify your leaving it so that you don't have to be accountable.

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This type of silly bravado has no business coming from a Christian's mouth.

If you are not humble enough to take rebuke, even inappropriate rebuke, without replying with physical threats, I suggest you do some soul searching.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the church a "charitable organization."

It depends on the number of "camps," how intrenched the political warfare, and of course who has the actual ownership (sometimes called the trustees) of the buildings and ground.

Most churches aren't very "charitable" and usually eat their young.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I suggest you mind your own business.

#24 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cant be faithful to apostate. What I'm faced with here Rick is a crumbling morality in my community...and that means hard hearts & averting your eyes away from the poor. Baptists churches are quite shameful in there inability to act, even on a small scale... so I'm forced to reach out to those who do, even though they are apostates. But it upsets me that I have to...that Baptists don't act. You just caught me when I was upset & I appologize for my violent comments to you. Mia culpa!

#25 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we are supposed to be faithful to that!?!:laugh:

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And I was meddling.

I apologize.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doctrine makes one an apostate, not a pantry.

When persecution comes, it comes for the testimony of Christ, not for the operation of a soup kitchen.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have talked to a Ukrainian pastor who has been there. As he served in the Russian army he would spread the Word...they threw him in prison & threatened his life. He had to flee the country least he be killed. We Americans have no idea.

So when you stand before God, will you tell him you didn't have to show charity? Good luck with that.:smilewinkgrin:

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yeah, well, he had the obey God rather than man part down.

In this country we see the opposite, and believers tuck tail and won't go out on a limb to pray with someone, or tell them about the Christ of God, and refuse to practice obeying God not man. Myriads of excuses as to why and they are all excuses. Good thing Peter and the Apostles didn't have Americanized 'Christianity'.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right...I have to do things because I'm a Christian. I have to reach out to people of every stripe and proclaim Christ. I have to feed the poor and destitute. I have to see Christ in others....I have to because my Lord wants me to.

When I want to check myself......to view my poverty of spirit, I do invision myself standing in front of a righteous and holy God & I don't want to be the guy saying, "Lord, when did I see you hungry, thirsty, in pain, cold & destitute? You cant lie to Him. I really don't want to hear "Depart from me..........."

12. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right...I have to do things because I'm a Christian.

E,W&F, with all due respect..., I find it necessary to disagree with you in that no, you don't have to do things because you're a Christian. There are "some things" we all need to do as Christians but in all reality, there's nothing we can do without the power of the Holy Spirit. (Source: My opinion)

You would be amazed at the number of times I made an a-double-ss out of myself early on in my Christian walk. You see, the pastor I had in the beginning was extremely good at laying on the guilt trip and I took him seriously! No matter what you did it just wasn't good enough and we needed to do more! This ended up causing more harm than good. Over the years I came to separate the chafe from the wheat and moved on.

Personally, when I come to together with another and feel the nudge of the Holy Spirit to share, then I will. Perhaps its the result of being a no-nonsense kind of guy.

...just like finger-prints we're all different.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well your not understanding what Im trying to say. Its not guilt that motivates me ..... it is seeing Christ in the least of my brothers. Thats LOVE not GUILT.

Matthew 25:31-46

English Standard Version (ESV)
    The Final Judgment

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,[a] you did it to me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

#33 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013