1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the RCC a cult?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Robert William, May 20, 2015.

?

Is the RCC a cult?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2015.
  1. Yes

64.3%
  2. No

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Howdy EWF, if you prefer, I say the Romanite religion is a false religion and or an apostate religion.

A cult is a religious group (but do not have to be religious1) that follows a particular theological system. From the view of Christianity a cult distorts the doctrines that affect salvation sufficiently to cause it to be unattainable. For example, it is an essential doctrine of Christianity that there is only one God (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6; 44:8; 45:5) and that believing in a false God brings judgment (Exodus 20:1-6). If a group were to affirm that there is more than one God (i.e., Mormonism), then it would violate an essential doctrine and be outside the Christian faith. Another essential would be that Jesus is God in flesh (John 1:1,14; Col. 2:9) and that to deny it means a person will die in his sins, John 8:24. The Jehovah's Witnesses deny Christ's deity and are, therefore, not Christian.

A few examples of cults are Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Christadelphians, Unity, Religious Science, The Way International, and the Moonies.

Apostacy (falling away from the truth) is different than being a non-Christian cult. Roman Catholicism, for example, is not a cult, but is apostate. It has fallen away from the true Christian faith by violating the teaching of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone which is something that all cults also do.

2. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rebel, does the following define the Romanite religion?

A cult is a religious group (but do not have to be religious1) that follows a particular theological system. From the view of Christianity a cult distorts the doctrines that affect salvation sufficiently to cause it to be unattainable. For example, it is an essential doctrine of Christianity that there is only one God (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6; 44:8; 45:5) and that believing in a false God brings judgment (Exodus 20:1-6). If a group were to affirm that there is more than one God (i.e., Mormonism), then it would violate an essential doctrine and be outside the Christian faith. Another essential would be that Jesus is God in flesh (John 1:1,14; Col. 2:9) and that to deny it means a person will die in his sins, John 8:24. The Jehovah's Witnesses deny Christ's deity and are, therefore, not Christian.

A few examples of cults are Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Christadelphians, Unity, Religious Science, The Way International, and the Moonies.

Apostacy (falling away from the truth) is different than being a non-christian cult. Roman Catholicism, for example, is not a cult, but is apostate. It has fallen away from the true Christian faith by violating the teaching of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone which is something that all cults also do.

3. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol, when a religion teaches salvation by works, they are teaching salvation can be obtained without faith!

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cult would be defined as a group who holds to Extra biblical doctrines/authority, scripture not sole authority, their church only real and true one, they have the only method to interprete the bible, teach a false Gospel. of salvation by grace and good work, so yep, Church of Rome qualifies!

5. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac, spot on. :)

6. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith in what! A dog, a cat, nature a statue of Mary or Mass or sacraments??

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They would deny that we are saved by faith alone though, as we need, through co operation with the sacraments, into becoming good enough to merit salvation!

8. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus completely disagrees with you, Jesus is intolerant when it comes to the gospel and salvation, He says there is only ONE way.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Many cults preach Jesus then add that salvation can be achieved by works. :)

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God always had His true and real Church people even amoug that Church, saved despite their false doctrines...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but I think His born again believers will as they study with the aid of the Holy Spirit, will eventually see the lies and leave.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as God would want them to come out from not just Rome, but ANY so called church teaching false Gospel!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    alvific alvific
    Without Grace (unmerited favor) there is no faith, the natural man considers the things of God to be foolishness.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Romanites preach that they can merit salvific Grace, that is illogical since that Grace comes ONLY from God

Also, keep in mind how many thousands God killed for the sin of idolatry, most Romanites are bowing and praying to idols.

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
    Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They would fit well the group paul called of the flesh, of being th ejeusalem from below here on earth!

14. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romanites resemble the following verses.

Rom 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
    Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
    Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
    Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Gal_1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    Gal_1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I define cult like this: any group that perverts or holds erroneous the Son of God and the Person of Jesus Christ.

Secondly, we have to consider that while there is great error in the Catholic Church, we cannot condemn the members of that group as a whole, any more than we can say that all Baptists believe the same thing, despite similar teachings. Each congregation is going to have members in which the teachings provided are filtered through the understanding of the individual, as well as be tempered by their own study (or lack thereof), the resources they themselves appeal to, and the intervention of GOd as He instructs them according to His will.

So in other words, just because one calls themselves a Catholic, doesn't mean...they even know what the Catholic Church teaches.

In all groups, some don't know enough about their chosen group to be either saved or damned (in a context of embracing heresy).

The Catholic Church has its problems just like every other group has. I do not view them as a cult. Erroneous on many points, and far too entrenched in Tradition, but, a cult, no.

God bless.

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the answer for any group, Catholic or Protestant, that is legalistic and in error?

Galatians 6:1
    King James Version (KJV)

6 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

God bless.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Roman Church is in same boat as the SDA church, as both hold to the trinity, to the Bible, but they also addin extra revelation, from Ellen White and other books not in canon for Rome, and both have a false Gospel!Both view themselves as being the true church also...

19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

All groups have error, and I do not view error as something that has less or greater. Error is error.

As far as I am concerned the similarities of many groups in regards to their error would demand we condemn...every group.

We can pat ourselves on the back and say "Boy, sure am glad I am not like them," but, if we try to elevate ourselves above others and think that God appreciates it then we ourselves are in error.

Secondly, as I said, we have to consider the members of these groups. And I can tell you I have spoken with Catholics that are far more conservative than some of the Protestants and Evangelicals I have spoken with.

Third, in regards to the Canon, I wouldn't worry yourself about that, because few members of any group bother to read the "Scripture" their group holds to, and even fewer bother to actually study in an in-depth manner. You will be held accountable for those Books you consider Scripture, likewise they too will be held accountable for the ones they recognize. Wouldn't be much different than reading a book about the Bible, believing what is said, and either holding to the teaching or violating it. If it is violated against your conscience, you become accountable. Doesn't matter if it is true or not.

As far as a group thinking they are the "True Church," perhaps you hadn't noticed, but that is pretty much the opinion of...every group. "Them Calvinists are heretics! Those Arminians are ignorant! Those Dispys are ignorant!"

How many of those statements have you made in your time here on the Forum?

God bless.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth though is that the church of rome has another Gospel, has extra biblical revealtion/authority, so that makes them another bbilical cult, in same boat with SDA!
    All churches have some bad/wrong theology, but both of those churches deny the true Gospel that saves!

#60 Yeshua1, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.