1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the RCC a cult?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Robert William, May 20, 2015.

?

Is the RCC a cult?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2015.
  1. Yes

64.3%
  2. No

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction, it shows leadership in serious Doctrinal Error.

Luther had no intention of revolutionizing the Catholic Church, but to reform it.

Did you read what I said?

God bless.

#101 Darrell C, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I havem but you seem to not get that the Roman Church is Apoststate!

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I give up, lol.

Simply no way to argue with that logic.

God bless.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apostate would be the church that denies the Gospel that saves lost sinners, correct?

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not really view that we see an "Apostate Church" until the Tribulation, where we will see, due to the blindness God induces on those who refused to obey the Gospel, that particular "church" in unanimous agreement and very unified such as we see among Atheists today. Atheists are quite a bit more "unified" in their doctrine because, well...they simply have very little choice in what they have to believe. For example, they are mostly forced to adopt Evolution. Whereas, Christians may be conceived as "fractured" because of the various positions concerning non-essential (though some things described non-essential are very essential, lol), but, we still have a base-line from which we can examine the doctrine of others and determine if it is actually Christian.

That all groups have apostates, yes, but, an Apostate Church, no.

Again, there are numerous Catholics that do not bother themselves with understanding just exactly what it is that official Catholic Doctrine teaches, and among those who go to Catholic Churches, I think we can distinguish, at least a little bit, between them. You will find, like among Baptists, those who are nominal, those who are fanatical, those who are conservative, those who are Liberal, but, among them you are not going to find a unification in belief despite the fact that we would think there would be.

When all born again believers are removed from this world, and all that is left are natural men scratching their heads and wondering what to do, you will see Antichrist step up and provide the remedy for the catastrophes that the Seal Judgments will unleash. They will be unified, and many of them will be professing "believers" who may have spent their entire lives attending Christian fellowships.

In that day we will truly see an Apostate "Church."

God bless.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I am talking about the official teachings/doctrines of the RCC, not individual Catholics, as their doctrines and practices would fit the title of denying the very Lord that died for them!
    It became officially apostate when it rejected the reformation, and codifed the Council of trent!

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you cannot deal with the "official teachings and doctrines of the RCC without including the actual people of the denomination, that is where the blanket condemnation fails.

Secondly, how the official doctrine is interpreted, and it is open to interpretation, and interpreted differently by Catholics, is another issue to be considered.

Here's a little secret, Yeshua, and don't tell anyone, because they already think I am a heretic: I reject the Reformation as well.

Surprised?

I could not care less whether some people want to think that Martin Luther, or any Reformer...resinstituted proper understanding of Scripture to the world.

I have asked you before, have you ever read the 95 Theses?

I look at it as kind of like the KJVonly camp...exactly which version do you refer to when you say "I am KJVonly?"

My faith and Theology do not look to the Reformation for guidance or understanding. I look to God and His Word.

;)

God bless.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One does n ot have to accept the reormers theology in full, as I have some serious disagreements with Calvin and Luther, BUT the part on sotierology is spot on, and the Vatican denied that, in the Council of trent!

And whether you are a KJVO or not, that will not be the issue to divide over, nor where salvation rests upon!

And the vatican IS the theology of the RCC!

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One does not have to accept the Reformers Theology...at all.

The Reformers did not give us the Word of God, God did. Just because we see agreement between the Reformers' Theology doesn't mean that we have to look to them for guidance in understanding Scripture, and in fact, just my opinion, the natural tendency to want to defend Systems men embrace can lead to the inevitable tendency to rationalize what is error.

So let's appeal the the Author, not the commentators.

I don't know, I am not one who looks favorably on anyone who places greater Inspiration on modern language over the original languages. Its kind of like trying to exegete a passage from a modern Dictionary.

The RCC is made up of people, and I'll be honest, I thought the Catholic that responded to you in other denominations gave a reasonable response, and I did not see you examine and critique the statement of faith he gave (and I did a quicl look for it but couldn't find it, just something I saw when I was perusing a thread).

I am not saying I do not find error, and grievous error, in their Doctrine and Practice, I do. What I am saying is that we find error in every group, so we have to deal with the error of those groups on an individual basis, because before we can determine if a Catholic, or Protestant, or Evangelical is in error...we have to know what it is they believe first.

Now I remember where it was, lol...

This is what this guy says he believes, so who am I to call him a liar.

So if he believes the above, do you think that there is a possibility that he is saved?

Lastly, probably the most disturbing thing I would find in many of the debates among faiths is the tendency to defend the denomination rather than simply Defend the Faith. Again, this is a result of indoctrination to Systems of Theology, which in itself is not a tragedy, its just when one refuses to acknowledge error in that System that the tragedy arises.

God bless.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not just the Bible and the Holy Spirit though, as God did give to us teachers/pastors /theologians to learn from!
    The Kjvo position cannot be subtained by either the bible or textual criticism!
    The RCC has denied the real Gospel since the time of the Council of trent!

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter wrote Scripture but that did not stop Paul from confronting him, and other Apostles, to the face when they erred Doctrinally and in Practice (Galatians 2).

As far as "Not just the Bible and Holy Spirit," I disagree with that tremendously, because it is the Word of God, and His Spirit, which prevents complete and total abandonment of Biblical Doctrine. There is always going to be a remnant.

And it is the error, lol, that keeps man humble.

I'd agree, but better KJVonly than those that reject the Authority of the Word, lol.

I'm not sure that it is accurate to depict a belief that Christians have works as a departure from the Gospel. I think we would, if we questioned most Catholics, find more of a belief in Sola Fide than not. Kind of like finding Charismatics that do not subscribe to ecstatic speech.

Many people recite the doctrine of their group, but not all of them actually understand it, and when it comes to the official doctrine, I have found often that Catholics have a tendency of presenting Apologetic responses to certain caricatures often imposed on Catholics, such as worshiping Mary, for example.

Its just a fact that some people are going to believe stupid stuff.

You can quote me on that.

;)

God bless.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit has gifted and given to the Church teachers/pastors/theologians, corrected? Those with gifted insightr in to the meaning and application of the Bible?

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. He gifts certain members of the Body in areas pertaining to His Word. I think many of the people who frequent Forums are those members.

So we do not overlook the role of such in the discipling of new converts, but, we do not overlook the responsibility each convert has to walk with Christ in a personal manner, rather than, as I believe many do, simply adopting the "faith" someone else indoctrinates them to.

This is one of the primary beefs I have with Catholic Doctrine, they convince people that they should not, for themselves, meditate on the Word of God, and Heaven forbid they should question the conclusions the leadership has presented as irrefutable.

It is said that as Martin Luther walked with another priest one day, the other Priest made the comment "Imagine what would happen if the Word of God got into the hands of the Plow Boy."

This is illustrative of the stranglehold the Catholic Church had, and still has, on the Word of God in regards to the individual believer. But, the good news is, Luther is a prime example that faulty leadership does not negate the Power of the Word of GOd and the Holy Spirit to instruct the believer, despite indoctrination.

God bless.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The RCC, and many others, do not wish to have their followers get into personal study and application of the scriptures, as that wpuld bring them under the teaching ministry of the Spirit,and many of them would find out what they were taught is contrary to the scriptures, get woke up, and leave!
    Also have seen where at times some would place reading and knowing of others such as a Calvin on apr with knowing the bible, or at least that is how it came across!

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think some of the Catholics you have spoken with have done some study?

As far as studying the "literature" of one's group, I think most do that.

I agree. I know one fellow who decided he was going to embrace Reformed Theology before he actually knew what it taught. A perfect example of self imposed indoctrination. It is actually humorous to watch the progression of indoctrination as he struggles with some of the more absurd proposals of the System he wanted so desperately to be a part of.

For people like this, doesn't matter what group they belong to. They are, at least in the beginning, simply religious folks. Let's hope that the influence of the Word of God in their lives will impact them to the point where they recognize the Truth of the Gospel and, if they are not saved (which is not our place to say), that they will be saved by their exposure to the Word of God.

God bless.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The catholics that I knew who applied themselves to studying the bible on their own eventually came to leave the RCC and became Baptists!

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But did they become...Christians.

;)

Or did they just exchange one religious pursuit for another?

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of them were converted and then left!

19. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please stop diverting truth you know what I'm saying.

The Roman Catholic cult in their Catechism teaches that we can merit grace necessary for salvation and that eternal life is attained by baptism, sacraments, and keeping the commandments.

1. CCC 2010, "...Moved by the Holy Spirit and by charity, we can then merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for our sanctification, for the increase of grace and charity, and for the attainment of eternal life."

2. CCC 2027, "Moved by the Holy Spirit, we can merit for ourselves and for others all the graces needed to attain eternal life, as well as necessary temporal goods."

3. CCC 2068, "The Council of Trent teaches that the Ten Commandments are obligatory for Christians and that the justified man is still bound to keep them;28 the Second Vatican Council confirms: "The bishops, successors of the apostles, receive from the Lord . . . the mission of teaching all peoples, and of preaching the Gospel to every creature, so that all men may attain salvation through faith, Baptism and the observance of the Commandments."

This obviously faulty teaching in the CCC is hugely problematic since it contradicts Scripture.

1. Rom. 3:28-30, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one."

2. Rom. 4:3, "For what does the Scripture say? "And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."

3. Rom. 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness,"

4. Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

5. Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."

6. Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."

We have to ask questions.

1. Why is the RCC teaching that you attain salvation through observing the commandments when the Bible says we are saved apart from the works of the Law (Rom. 3:28-30; 4:5; Gal. 2:16)?

2. Why would the Roman Catholic Church teach that you merit for yourself the grace needed for eternal life when that clearly contradicts Rom 11:6? See also Matt 7:21-23.

There is a great deal wrong with what the RCC teaches. We must look to God's word and not to what the RCC says we must do to be saved. Our salvation is not merited by our keeping the commandments! The Roman Catholic Church needs to repent.

20. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, the natural man considers the gospel to be foolishness. :)

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.