1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Sermon on the Mount for Today?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 1689Dave, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you think of any time when Jesus Himself resisted evil or instructed His disciples to? Be careful now I wouldn't ask you if I did not know.

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus fulfilled prophecy driving the money changers from the temple. But this is not an approval of violence since he denies it for his followers. The two swords were circumstantial evidence in framing him as a transgressor. Especially after Peter cur Malchus' ear off.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's it. You cannot think of anything else?

4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    What am I missing?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't Jesus resist the Pharisees in Matthew 23? He told the disciples to take swords along with them in Luke 22. Paul defended himself as well by warning of consequences if he were harmed.

The problem with your personal interpretation is you think you can apply it to everything in every situation. It's just not true. Your view is extreme and beyond the scope and context of that passage.

6. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are taking that to mean non-violence, which is not what it means. It is referring to personal retaliation, not self-defense against criminal activity. When Jesus says that we are to love our enemies, he is not telling us to love the enemy at the expense of our family's safety and well-being.

The context of the passage has nothing to do with the military and it has nothing to do with protecting our families. It is about not retaliating against offenses to personal honor, not retaliating with law suits for minor personal offenses, not to retaliate when we are persecuted. It is about not taking out revenge on others, but to extend the love of Christ.

It is NOT intended to mean that if our family is in danger from an assailant that we are to simply hand them over to said assailant. That is not loving your enemy, nor is it loving one's family. It is a dereliction of Christian, manly duty before God and you will face judgement before God for mistreating your family in that way. I would not want to be in your shoes if you give your family over to an assailant.

You have a very sloppy, extremist, irresponsible and sinful approach to this matter. It is, at its heart, very unchristian and is not in keeping with Scripture.

Pacifism is a secular, worldly concept. You are trying to pencil a sinful, worldly concept into the Bible and so far, no authentic Christian is buying into it.

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul defended himself verbally but never physically with those trying to harm him. Jesus never tried to kill anyone in scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they did resist.

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need scriptural examples for your claims. Until then you are adding to scripture.

10. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are confusing how we are supposed to respond to persecution vs. how we respond to criminal activity

11. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am working off of the Scripture YOU are providing.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they did. I resist sin every day. But there is no example of Christians defending themselves using physical violence in the NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see it .

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    No difference. Paul was beaten of robbers but he taught vengeance belongs to the Lord.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture?

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “I have been on journeys many times, in dangers from rivers, in dangers from robbers, in dangers from my own countrymen, in dangers from Gentiles, in dangers in the city, in dangers in the wilderness, in dangers at sea, in dangers from false brothers, in hard work and toil, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, many times without food, in cold and without enough clothing.” 2 Corinthians 11:26–27 (NET)

• Like Like x 2
  17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a huge difference between being non-violent ,resisting evil, and restraining evil doers.

I am basically a non-violent person, yet have the understanding of restraining and the techniques/training and authority to restrain children when and if necessary.

I can defend against evil and not be violent either in intent or in physical.

One who engages in violence has the intent to harm, not to restrain, or to resist, but to return some measure of just retribution.

Such retribution is for God to assign, not for me.

#37 agedman, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you are narrowing the goal post. You don't even remember your own words in this thread

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I missed the moving of goal posts. Would you put the post numbers that you are referring too?

20. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and No. I just checked out Scofield on this and while he did say something similar I think you've missed the idea of what he was truly stating. The morality issue of the Sermon on the Mount must still be seen in New Covenant believers but we do have God's grace now to enable the spiritual carrying them out. Jesus was talking still about the law during that period of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.