1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is There a Biblical Example

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor_Bob, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    … of someone who knows another has "ought against them" (Matthew 5:23) but yet does not go to that person because he feels that it would be futile based upon past responses?

I think of Micaiah, who knew that Ahab hated him yet seemingly let the matter be knowing he could never make the matter right with him.

A young man sought my counsel this week regarding his former pastor who is convinced that he trashed the (former) church on social media. The young man assured me that he didn't, but feels that the pastor does not and will not ever believe him. He was counseled to try again to go to him, so he was seeking my counsel as to what he should do.

I need a biblical example to present to this young man, if there is one.

Maybe David and Saul?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the young man believes the Pastor has a mistaken view concerning the young man's behavior, first he should meet with the Pastor and present his view, then let the Pastor explain. Church discipline 101.

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not quite that simple, my friend. The young man has gone to his former pastor, on numerous occasions.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then step two applies, take two witnesses to the truth of the matter. Vindictive and petty Pastors are off the track, and folks who disparage Elders without support from at least two witnesses are likewise off the track.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the accusation is false, then the pastor does not have "ought against him." Matt. 5:23 isn't about correcting one's brother, but confessing to him one's faults and seeking to right one's offenses.

If he is in the right, he needs to do whatever he peaceably can to get the truth out. However, the false accusation, if it is false, may be a thorn in the flesh he will just have to bear for a while.