1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a difference between rejection and unbelief?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So what of a person who hears the gospel, but just plain doesn't believe it is true? Not rejecting something they have been told and believe in...just plain doesn't buy it.

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

What do we mean by "believe"?

It seems to me (and if I am wrong, just let me know), that posters on this thread are not all using using "believe" in the same sense. The word is used in at least two senses in English. If I say, "I believe that the Battle of Hastings took place in 1066," I am saying that I accept that that battle actually took place in the year 1066 - that it is not just a story made up by the writers of history books. On the other hand, if I say, "I believe on the Lord Jesus Christ," I mean far more than "I believe that He existed." It is the difference between knowing Jesus Christ, and merely knowing about Him.

Going back to the OP, I would say that it is quite possible for someone to believe in Jesus (in the sense of agreeing that He existed in history), whilst at the same time rejecting His gospel. But how can it be possible to believe in/on Jesus Christ in the sense of having faith in Him as the only Saviour of sinners, and at the same time reject Him?

3. PK

PK New Member

Come On Dale! You know better than this...
    Does not the Bible say that the demons believe? Did they get saved??

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't get it. Dale said that the Bible says that if you believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ you will be saved. He is correct. Acts 16.31 has the answer given by Paul and Silas to the gaoler's question about salvation:
    So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."
    Yes, the bible also says that the demons believe. But what does it say they believe? James 2.19:
    You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe––and tremble.​
    They believed that there is one God. They did not put their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. What would be the point? Where in God's Word is there the slightest indication that salvation is available to demons? To say that it was would be taking universalism too far. :laugh:

On the other hand, maybe you were being sarcastic; since typing the above, I took a quick look at some of your other messages, and found that you tend to use sarcasm quite a bit. If so, I have misunderstood you and I apologise.

#24 David Lamb, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree David.
    I heard the other day two people debating the historical existence of Jesus.
    ONe was an atheist and the other was agnostic.

The atheist tried to say that Jesus never existed and that all records of Him were lies.
    The agnostic said that it was obvious that Jesus lived but he was not a "believer"

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

DO you not think that true belief in CHrist will result in salvation?

Also, do you believe that rejection of CHrist is a sin?

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

James 2:17-26 (KJV)
    17: Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
    18: Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
    19: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
    20: But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21: Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22: Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23: And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    24: Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
    25: Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26: For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Double post. :saint: