1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there any good in man after the Fall?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IfbReformer, Mar 6, 2007.

1. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

My intial answer to this question based on the scriptures is NO. But then we have passages like this:

Again Jesus calls them wicked, but yet there still seems to be a natural law toward their children which causes them to do good in that limited sense.

I hope I am not confusing you all - but how do we explain the concept that man is wicked in his sinful nature, yet he still does good? Even in our secular society, we expect parents to care for their children and on the battle field we see unbelievers laying down their lives for their comrades.

So how do we explain the good that the wicked do without the Holy Spirit?

IFBReformer

2. PeterM

PeterM Member

I think that there are (2) ways to come at this...

1. When addressed by the rich young ruler as "Good Teacher," Jesus responds that there is none good but God (ie Him).

2. According to the scriptures you site, Jesus response is in fact consistent. However, that does not necessarily imply that man is not capable of good actions that may benefit others.

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

The difference is who the good deeds glorify. Men seek glory for themselves instead of God.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

1. no
    2. evil men do good deeds based on the world's defination of good, not God's.
    a. for a good deed to be 'good' it must be done through the indwelling Holy Spirit
    b. no good deed done by evil men can have eternal value (concerning salvation or rewards)

5. amity

amity New Member

Historically, there have been three ways to explain it:
    1. That God extends grace to those who He elected, calling them irresistably through the Holy Spirit to seek Him. (Calvinism)
    2. That God extends grace to all men, enabling all to come to Him. (Arminianism)
    3. That man's nature was not truly damaged by the fall, there is still good in man, and he may freely choose to seek God. (Pelagianism)

6. PeterM

PeterM Member

It would seem that we may need to define the term "good" for the sake of consistency and clarity.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that mankind is totally depraved (in the sense of all of his being) but is not necessarily always as wicked as mankind could be.

If that is the case, then the good comes in the gap between the wickedness and the potential for more intense wickedness.