1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this new law needed?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yea, like that could ever happen :laugh:

And if they did, they probably would not allow him to mistreat his employees and, hopefully, they would ensure a fair day's pay for a fair day's labor.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad Robert isn't working for me.

If he were self-employed, he'd be singing a different tune.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, that's more evidence of latent Marxism—the employed bossing around their employers.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But who determines what is a "fair wage" compare Matt 20:1-10

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I am a machinist, and have been for over 30 years. I am one of the most productive machinist on my shift, sometimes experience overcomes youth.

I don't believe I would. I am not against a company making a good profit, but I could not sleep if I didn't compensate my employees fairly for the work they did.

Since you cannot determine exactly what a fair wage is does not mean that a worker doesn't deserves one. I don't think our Lord, if he were in business, would keep every penny He could and pay his employees starvation wages. You are free to worship "capitalism" if you desire, I choose not to.

#25 Robert Snow, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because you expect to be treated special and couldn't stand it if everyone around you was treated the same as you are.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

As an aspiring aattorney, you should understand they still have to prove their case.

Even if, in some minds it would "help" their case , it would be worth it to get rid of a malcontent that will poison your workforce.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read blueprints as poorly as you read posts, I'm surprised you're able to keep your job at all.

You do understand that "treating all their employees fairly" is an essential criteria of my approach, don't you? You seem to have overlooked it.

I doubt that I would employ you in the first place. It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder and would forever be a source of negativism.

#28 carpro, Mar 17, 2010
  9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

What a tremendously stupid thing to say! You just cannot help but assuming about others, can you?

In case you missed it, I am a machinist. They treat us pretty much the same, no one is the bosses pet. They do appreciate the productive workers though, it shows in our evaluations.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Again, you just can't help yourself, can you? Of course it's easy to insult people long distance.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

At least we know that Carpo is from Texas. We all know the Lone Star is a large state, but I was just wondering how "long distance" he might be from you. Just taking a guess, but it sounds like you are from Houston?

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:

I didn't miss it. You said it. I didn't.

I took that to mean, at least partially, that you deserve preferential treatment.

I disagree. If what you say is true, you deserve preferential pay, not preferential treatment nor a better written eval, and I'd see that you got it.

Someone less talented, less experienced or with less of a work ethic than you might consider that discrimination and complain. How long will you listen to the complainer before you set him straight?

As the employer, I'd set him straight immediately. If he continued to complain, I'd fire him. I wouldn't want his mouth and bad attitude upsetting my best producer.

If he files a complaint with the authorities, I will then prove why he's full of beans. But the government has no right snooping in my records, looking at nothing but payroll files and then trying to tell me I'm discriminating.

What if the complainer was black or female? Man, would the looney leftists be after me then! All because you are a more productive employee and I pay you accordingly. they can't find out why from just looking at the records and I don't feel I owe them an explanation if there is no complainant.

#32 carpro, Mar 17, 2010
  13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yes, I live in Houston. Your point?

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I never said I should be treated better than others. I do the best job I can because if the company doesn't make money, it's a sure thing I won't either. Besides, I was raised to do my best in the workplace. My father was also a machinist.

The problem, as I see it, is that while corporate profits skyrocket, the hourly wages languish. I don't begrudge a company making a good healthy profit, I just wish they would share a little more with us who actually make the parts they sell.

After a few years of when I stared in 1972 I worked a 40 hour week, my wife didn't work and we did alright. Now we both work in excess of 45 hours a week, I usually work 52 hours, and we actually have less than we did then. I am not saying the government should mandate what I make, but a company should at least not make slaves out of their workers.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bill in question does not address your concerns at all. It's just a license to snoop for the government.