1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is "unicorns" better than "unicorn" at Deut. 33:17?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Aug 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instead of having just two number forms for a noun--singular and plural, Hebrew at times has three forms: singular, dual, and plural.

It has also been maintained that Psalm 22:21 indicates that the reem had two horns. Friedrich Delitzsch asserted: “Who does not see the obvious contradiction involved in the translation of Psalm 22:21, ‘For thou hast heard me from the horns [dual in Hebrew] of the unicorns,’ where more than one horn is ascribed to the unicorn?” (Hebrew Language, p. 6). Moses Stuart noted: “The dual in Hebrew is used principally to designate such objects as are double either by nature or by custom” (Hebrew Grammar, p. 271). Gary Long observed: “The dual, though, is restricted to nouns that occur in natural pairs (like hands),” “convey certain expressions of time,” and “measure two” (Grammatical Concepts, p. 32). Scrivener indicated that where KJV editions have “two horns” or “two horns” at Daniel 8:3, 6, 20 “the noun is dual” (Authorized Edition, p. 34). Just as this dual form for the Hebrew word for horns was translated “two horns” in Daniel, it could have just as accurately been translated “two horns” in reference to the reem. Robert Brown cited Deuteronomy 33:17 as follows: “his horns (i.e. two horns) are like the horns of a wild bull” (Unicorn, p. 9).

In his commentary, John Hewlett wrote: “The reems are in effect called ‘wild bulls’ by the Psalmist, Psalm 22. For those he styles ‘bulls of Bashan;‘ i.e. of the mountains of Bashan, verse 12, he calls ‘reems;‘ verse 21, as though they were synonymous terms” (Vol. 2, p. 397). Charles Taylor also quoted or noted that the “reems are in effect called wild bulls” . . . “as though they were synonymous terms” (Scripture Illustrated, p. 192). In the Companion Bible [a KJV edition], E. W. Bullinger has this note: “unicorns=the bulls of v. 12” (p. 740). In his 1839 book edited from the writings of others, George Bush indicated that the three animals in verses 20 and 21 correspond “to the three before mentioned as besetting him, but ranged in an inverted order, viz. the dog, the lion, and the reem, in place of the bulls of Basham (Illustrations of the Holy Scriptures, p. 403). He added that “the interference is almost irresistible, that the reemim of verse 21 are the parim of verse 12, the bulls of Bashan (Ibid.). He continued: “At least we may infer that the reem was an animal not so unlike those bulls that it might with propriety be interchanged with them in poetic parallelism” (Ibid.). In his Commentary on the Bible, J. R. Dummelow asserted: “In this [Ps. 22:21] and the preceding verse the figures of verses 12, 13, 16 (bulls, lions, dogs) are repeated” (p. 338).

Does Psalm 22:12 provide the claimed scriptural built-in definition for reem? Gail Riplinger maintained that one of the ways to find the built-in definition was to “look for parallellism” (Language of the KJB, p. 25). Gail Riplinger wrote: “Locate the parallelism. Find the word or words which sit in a parallel position to the word in question” (In Awe, p. 62). Riplinger asserted: “The parallel definition is perfectly suited to the context” (p. 65). Does this parallelism use the Hebrew word for the tame or domesticated animal in one place and the Hebrew word for the wild animal in the other? At Deuteronomy 33:17, a London edition of the KJV printed by Henry Hills in 1660 and the KJV in the 1696 edition of Matthew Poole’s Annotations have this marginal note for unicorns: “Or of a wild bull.” Did the person responsible for the additional marginal notes in the 1660 KJV find and give this built-in definition for reem?

#21 Logos1560, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I've never said that it was.

Why people keep including those like me in with others who claim that the AV is a perfect translation ( or re-inspired of God, or a great many things that the KJV-O movement has stated ), I will never know,
    as I've readily admitted that I do not believe that it is absolutely perfect.

I've simply stated that I believe it to be superior to the ones that we currently have in English today, based on the language of its day.

#22 Dave G, Sep 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've no wish to argue about this, and in this case you very well may be correct.

Also, please keep in mind what I've stated above...
    I believe that the AV is superior to the many modern English translations.

To clarify, it's not because of its use of modern English, but its use of the English of its day;
    Plus its use of the "Received Text" instead of the later "Critical Text" of Westcott and Hort and apparatuses such as NA and UBS.

I don't recall where I've ever stated that I believe it to be perfect,
    and I myself have found places where I believe that it could have been done better...but not by much.

#23 Dave G, Sep 6, 2021
  4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that if you find what you believe to be a mistake in the translation of the AV, that it automatically renders everything that anyone says about it, as moot?

I'm sorry, but I cannot accept that...
    and given the fact that so many of today's translations have what I consider to be an even greater number of errors than the KJV does,
    I see no reason to change my own carefully-held and arrived-at convictions regarding the AV.

In addition,
    To me, that doesn't even touch on the larger problems of why we have so many English translations,
    or,
    why so very many professing Christians think that there's nothing wrong about it.;)
    Yes I do, now that you've pointed it out and I've had a chance to carefully review both my post ( in the thread that you referenced ) and the Hebrew here:

https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/deu33.pdf
    Deuteronomy 33:17 Interlinear:

In other words,
    I concede that I am in error on this, and I thank you for pointing it out to me.:)

That said,
    For reasons of wanting to avoid constant argument, I will make this my final reply in this thread and bid you a good day, sir.

#24 Dave G, Sep 6, 2021
  5. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are better qualified to answer that question than me.

13 And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the Lord be his land, for the precious things of heaven, for the dew, and for the deep that coucheth beneath,
    14 And for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun, and for the precious things put forth by the moon,
    15 And for the chief things of the ancient mountains, and for the precious things of the lasting hills,
    16 And for the precious things of the earth and fulness thereof, and for the good will of him that dwelt in the bush: let the blessing come upon the head of Joseph, and upon the top of the head of him that was separated from his brethren.

17 His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

I do not understand how anyone can read this and come away not understanding the explanation of the horns of the unicorns. They are Ephraim and Manasseh. The text clearly identifies them. They are two tribes of the twelve tribes of Jacob.

I would love to see this entire blessing, verse 13 -17 in a translation that you approve of. I would like to read what you are reading and try to understand better why you are so determined to call the KJV an error. Please accommodate me on this request.

Following is the NIV rendition of these verses. Has this translation corrected the error in your estimation?

NIV
    13 About Joseph he said:

“May the Lord bless his land
    with the precious dew from heaven above
    and with the deep waters that lie below;
    14 with the best the sun brings forth
    and the finest the moon can yield;
    15 with the choicest gifts of the ancient mountains
    and the fruitfulness of the everlasting hills;
    16 with the best gifts of the earth and its fullness
    and the favor of him who dwelt in the burning bush.
    Let all these rest on the head of Joseph,
    on the brow of the prince amonge]">[e] his brothers.
    17 In majesty he is like a firstborn bull;
    his horns are the horns of a wild ox.
    With them he will gore the nations,
    even those at the ends of the earth.
    Such are the ten thousands of Ephraim;
    such are the thousands of Manasseh.”

Here is a list of the sons of Jacob in order that God and Moses singles out for blessing in Duet 33.

1) Reuben - V 6
    2) Judah - V 7
    3) Levi - Levi V 8
    4) Benjamin - V 12
    5) Joseph - V 13 (#5 the number for grace) - V 17 Ephraim and Manasseh in connection with Joseph, their father.
    6) Zebulun - V 18 - Issachar in connection with Zebulon
    7) Gad - V 20
    8) Dan - V 22
    9) Naphtali - V 23
    10 Asher - V 24

Of course Levi did not have inheritance in the land and Joseph had a double portion. 13 tribes reduced to 12 or 12 tribe increased to 13.

Here are the places in this blessing that "the people" are mentioned.

De 33:3 Yea, he loved the people; all his saints [are] in thy hand: and they sat down at thy feet; [every one] shall receive of thy words.
    De 33:5 And he was king in Jeshurun, when the heads of the people [and] the tribes of Israel were gathered together.
    De 33:17 His glory [is like] the firstling of his bullock, and his horns [are like] the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they [are] the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they [are] the thousands of Manasseh.
    De 33:19 They shall call the people unto the mountain; there they shall offer sacrifices of righteousness: for they shall suck [of] the abundance of the seas, and [of] treasures hid in the sand.
    De 33:21 And he provided the first part for himself, because there, [in] a portion of the lawgiver, [was he] seated; and he came with the heads of the people, he executed the justice of the LORD, and his judgments with Israel.

Context shows that "the people" references this family of Jacob in every instance of it's use. One can note in the NIV, as an example of error, they have translated "the people" as nations when nations are nowhere involved in this whole chapter. In the scriptures of truth the phrase "the people" almost always is a reference to all Israel or a subset of them. It is so in Duet 33. In the very few places in scripture where it does not the context will make it clear.

There are a lot of errors to be seen but they are not in the KJV. Other translations are chocked full of them.

Here is the NKJV missing the truth.

V 17 His glory is like a firstborn bull,
    And his horns like the horns of the wild ox;
    Together with them
    He shall push the peoples
    To the ends of the earth;
    They are the ten thousands of Ephraim,
    And they are the thousands of Manasseh.”

I have underlined an error in the NKJV. Israel is one people of God, not many. Israel is one family.

6. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    17 His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns:[horns of a unicorn] with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

So
    the best translation would have been [horns of a unicorn], singular?

7. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    17 In majesty he is like a firstborn bull;
    his horns are the horns of a wild ox.
    With them he will gore the nations,
    even those at the ends of the earth.
    Such are the ten thousands of Ephraim;
    such are the thousands of Manasseh.

8. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are attempting to explain something that the verse in Hebrew did not say so that you are in effect illustrating how an English rendering in the KJV has led you to a misunderstanding or misinterpretation. Does your incorrect understanding suggest that the KJV's rendering "unicorns" misses the truth since the Hebrew noun is singular in number?

The Hebrew text refers to horns (plural--[two horns according to the dual form in another passage concerning the same animal]) of one animal--the reem [as transliterated from the Hebrew]. The plural pronoun "them" referred to the Hebrew noun that is plural [horns] as its antecedent. The plural pronoun "them" does not refer back to a Hebrew noun that is singular in number as its antecedent.

The strong and even compelling evidence from multiple sources that the animal has two horns clearly conflicts with attempts to identify it as an unicorn--one horned. Very little if any evidence has been presented to back up the assumption that the animal supposedly had only one horn.

The two horns on the head of one animal do picture the two sons of Joseph [Ephraim and Manasseh] becoming two tribes from one head [Joseph] of a tribe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rosh Hashanah [the Babylonian Talmud] as translated into English by Maurice Simon also indicated that the Hebrew word is singular in number: “the horns of a reem” (p. 116). There is also a reference to Deuteronomy 33:17 in the comments on Psalm 22:21 in the Longer Commentary of Rabbi David Kimchi on the First Book of Psalms as translated into English by R. G. Finch that affirms that the Hebrew word is singular in number [“the wild ox will gore with his horns, as it says (Deut. 33:17)” (p. 104). Another reference to this verse is also found in David Kimchi’s Commentary upon the Prophecies of Zechariah as translated into English by Alexander M’Caul in 1837, and it also indicates that the Hebrew word is singular in number (p. 28). The Commentary of Abraham ibn Ezra on the Pentateuch [Volume 5: Deuteronomy] as translated by Jay Shachter has “his horns are the horns of a wild ox” at Deuteronomy 33:17 (p. 177).

10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you believe it does not make it true.

You may believe your opinion the same way that KJV-only advocates who believe that the KJV is absolutely perfect and inerrant believe theirs. You believe your opinion without proving it to be true just as they believe their opinion without proving it to be true. Such opinions rely too much on over-generalization without dealing with all the specific facts and evidence. You are believing what seems to be only an assumption or speculation, and not something that is a verifiable fact.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The internet has many translation sites available.

I used some, and the Hebrew was translated “In the furnace of the ox, the ox and the horns of the ram, the horns of them, the peoples of the nations shall be gathered together, as the chaff of the earth…”

The Latin Vulgate came back as, “His beauty is like the firstling of a bullock; his horns are like the horns of a unicorn.”

I think it interesting that in the Latin “cornua rinocerotis” came back as horns of a unicorn. My eyes see the word “rhinoceros”.

Perhaps the KJV folks used the Latin rather then Hebrew?

This is why I now rely upon you good folk to validate my words when I do occasionally am obliged to work in the languages on some post on the BB.

I do not ever desire to mistreat God’s Word.

Rather than being consumed over a single word (unicorn(s)) isn’t the message about authority and ability? I would want to be pushed around by any animal and to think of the powerful horn(s) being used to gourd me into compliance isn’t something upon which I too long want to dwell.

12. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, would you quote the passage from a translation that you think best presents the way you are teaching this passage? It would help me to see your point if I saw it all in context. Thanks.

13. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [

Gentlemen.

Here is a quote from God and Isaiah that is relevant to the subject at hand, I think. It is in the context of the words of God and how we are to process it.

Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
    10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
    11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Now, I have learned over the years that one must learn to think like God thinks. Here he says he does not think like us. He tells us how he thinks. He thinks a plural can be a singular and a singular can be a plural I will give you two examples although there are plenty to choose from.

1) Consider this:
    Ephesians 5:31
    For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

2) Ephesians 2:13-14
    13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
    14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

They are one without losing the physical identity as Jew and gentile; male and female and are able to function as a separate entity. The trinity is another example of this.

Logo1560 has an MO of failing to approach the scriptures as a spiritual work but with the tools of the worldly wise. In this passage he is demonstrating that he does not know the ways of God and is trying to apply worldly principles to figure God out.

The best advice I can give anyone is to believe the words. One cannot go wrong by believing the words whether you can understand them at the moment or whether you cannot. The singular noun can represent a plural in God's way of thinking and doing.

14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot acknowledge a possible mistake or not the best word choice in the KJV?

15. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your posts are the ones which show that they rely upon the worldly-wise, carnal smear tactic of making wild allegations that you do not prove to be true.

I approach the Scriptures God gave by inspiration to the prophets and apostles as what they are.

It is in agreement with clear scriptural truth taught in the Scriptures that I accept God's instructions that would teach that words added by men are not the word of God, that any errors introduced by men are not the word of God, and that any renderings by men that diminish the words God gave by inspiration should be revised or corrected.

Perhaps it is KJV-only advocates who suggest that they do not know the ways of God when they in effect refuse to apply justly some scriptural truths and when they do not apply the same exact measures/standards justly but instead use different divers measures [an abomination to the LORD and the ways of God]. KJV-only advocates show that they apply different measures/standards to the textual criticism process and translation process involved in the making of the KJV than that involved in the making of other English Bible translations.

Where does God instruct believers to deny the truth as KJV-only advocates seem to attempt to do?

#35 Logos1560, Sep 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the voice of the devil when I hear it. All he wants a Christian to do is to agree with him that the word of God is not perfect.That means God is not perfect and he must settle for an imperfect testimony to give to us. It is the best an imperfect god can do.

These guys say the perfect word of God is in the manuscripts. They don't believe that. There are 4 families of manuscripts and they are not settled on which of them are true.

I have a statement of God that his word is perfect.

Psa 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
    8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
    9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
    10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
    11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

These 6 divisions of the Law of the LORD are given to us and I have never had one of these fellows present a modification of the above description from God and David concerning his word. He wrote the longest Psalm in scripture with 176 verses giving us God's assessment of these 6 divisions of his law and nowhere does he say there are errors in it to praise and be thankful for.

Psa 119:1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in 1) the law of the Lord.

2 Blessed are they that keep 2) his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.

3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.

4 Thou hast commanded us to keep 3) thy precepts diligently.

5 O that my ways were directed to keep 4) thy statutes!

6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all 5) thy commandments.

7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned 6) thy righteous judgments.

This goes on for 176 verses.

The apostasy is great. Who would have believed that Christians were on forums like this insisting that the test of spirituality for the modern believer is to acknowledge that God cannot preserve his own words and that he has no interest in doing it..

9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.

Now it is your turn. Convince me from the scriptures and not from logos1560 that there are errors in God's word and it cannot be accepted as perfect.

11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against

104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

140 Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.

17. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You show that you do not know what you merely assume and incorrectly claim. You demonstrate that you reason erroneously as you jump to false allegations.

I nowhere ask Christians to say and believe that the actual word of God is not perfect so you bear false witness as you try improperly to put words in my mouth that I did not say. You fail to prove what I actually state is not true. Instead of discussing and dealing with what I state, you merely throw out bogus allegations. You try to attack me personally instead of answering the truth of what I state.

God gave by inspiration 100% absolutely pure and perfect Scripture to the prophets and apostles.

The Scriptures God gave do not instruct you to make false allegations.

In agreement with what God said and taught in His word, I agree that any errors introduced by imperfect men are not the word of God.

18. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My request is that you quote a translation that you would would advise as an alternative to the KJV because it is more accurate. Why do you ignore that request?

19. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should I consider your request when you repeatedly do not discuss what I actually state and when you make false allegations that you do not correct? You do not answer my questions and requests to you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I accused the devil of doing it. This lesson is about antecedents and you are proving in this post that you have missed mine. But you do not believe God is able to preserve his words in translation and therefore the best we have available to us are bibles with errors. I do not get that as being the way of God when I read Psalm 19 and Psalm 119 and other places he comments on his own words. We are going to be judged by his words.

The eight men who wrote the NT scriptures have been dead for 2000 years yet we are all asked to believe their own eye witness accounts of the life and times of Jesus Christ and what he taught them about this age. Everyone from then until now must learn from what these men wrote. That requires that we all have what these men said. Hebrew and Greek is not the universal language of any believers today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.