1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is use of the "Pill" abortion?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jdcanady, May 14, 2005.

1. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

Im only going to post once on this and that will be all from me. First I would like to ask, if life does not begin at fertilization when does it begin? at conception? when the child's body is fully formed?, or maybe at birth?

this sick philosophy of some one being human and alive while not being human and alive is what was used by whites to enslave blacks, only there argument was that the slaves could not be deemed human because they had black skin, curly hair and spoke a differant language meaning they were half animal, and there for had no soul. The bottom line is when an egg is fertilized all of the physical components that are needed for the child to grow into a healthy adult besides nutrients and shelter are present there for fertilization is where life begins we are just not perfectly formed yet as a fertilized egg.

If not then when?

The only occurence during conception is the bonding of the Fertilized egg to the matrix for shelter and nourishment, if that's when humanity starts then by definition every homeless person is not human but rather empty tissue.

And it's safe to say life doesn't begin when the child's body is fully developed other wise all deformed children are not human. And besides dosen't the bible say Jesus knows us before we are perfectly formed how can this be true if as unformed children we have no souls?

And for all of you that believe life starts at birth I have one question, ARE A FEW INCHES OF FLESH PROTECTING SOME ONE ALL THAT DETERMINES HUMAN FROM NON-HUMAN? IF SO MAY I RECOMMEND NO ONE HIRE ANY BODY GUARDS BECAUSE THEY'RE PROTECTING YOU WITH A FEW INCHES OF THEIR FLESH!

Your servant
    fishnbread

First and final post.

2. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

Since I am not allowed to comment I won't but here are quotes from the manufacturers.

This is all directly from www.lifeadvocate.org

The Physician's Desk Reference

The Physician's Desk Reference is the most frequently used reference book by physicians in America. The PDR, as it's often called, lists and explains the effects, benefits and risks of every medical product that can be legally prescribed. The Food and Drug Administration requires that each manufacturer provide accurate information on its products, based on scientific research and laboratory tests. This information is included in The PDR.

As you read the following information, keep in mind that implantation, by definition, always involves an already conceived human being, and therefore any agent which serves to prevent implantation thereby functions as an abortifacient.

This is the PDR's product information as listed by Ortho, one of the two largest manufacturers of the Pill, under Ortho-Cept:

Combination oral contraceptives act by suppression of gonadotropins. Although the primary mechanism of this action is inhibition of ovulation, other alterations include changes in the cervical mucus, which increase the difficulty of sperm entry into the uterus, and changes in the endometrium which reduce the likelihood of implantation. (The PDR, 1995, page 1775).

The FDA-required research information on the birth control pills Ortho-Cyclen and Ortho Tri-Cyclen also state that they cause "changes in . . . the endometrium (which reduce the likelihood of implantation)." (The PDR, 1995, page 1782).

Notice that these changes in the endometrium, and their reduction in the likelihood of implantation, are not stated by the manufacturer as speculative or theoretical effects, but as actual ones. (The importance of this distinction will surface later.)

Similarly, Syntex, another major Pill manufacturer, says this in Physician's Desk Reference (1995, page 2461) under the "Clinical Pharmacology" of the six pills it produces (two types of Brevicon and four of Norinyl):

Although the primary mechanism of this action is inhibition of ovulation, other alterations include changes in the cervical mucus (which increase the difficulty of sperm entry into the uterus), and the endometrium (which may reduce the likelihood of implantation).

Wyeth, on page 2685 of The PDR, 1995, says something very similar of its combination Pills, including Lo/Ovral and Ovral: "other alterations include changes in the cervical mucus . . . and changes in the endometrium which reduce the likelihood of implantation." Wyeth makes virtually identical statements about its birth control pills Nordette (The PDR, 1995, page 2693) and Triphasil (page 2743).
    A young couple showed me their pill, Desogen, a product of Organon. I looked it up in The PDR (1995, page 1744). It states one effect of the pill is to create "changes in the endometrium which reduce the likelihood of implantation."
    The inserts packaged with birth control pills are condensed versions of longer research papers detailing the Pill's effects, mechanisms and risks. Near the end, the insert typically says something like the following, which I am quoting directly from the Desogen pill insert:

If you want more information about birth control pills, ask your doctor, clinic or pharmacist. They have a more technical leaflet called the Professional Labeling, which you may wish to read. The Professional Labeling is also published in a book entitled Physician's Desk Reference, available in many bookstores and public libraries.

Of the half dozen birth control pill package inserts I've read, only one included the information about the Pill's abortive mechanism (a package insert dated July 12, 1994, found in the oral contraceptive Demulen, manufactured by Searle). Yet this abortive mechanism was referred to in all cases in the manufacturer's Professional Labeling, as documented in The Physician's Desk Reference. (Again, the full disclosure in the Professional Labeling is required by the FDA.)
    If all this is repetitive, it establishes that according to multiple references throughout Physician's Desk Reference, which articulate the research findings of a variety of birth control pill manufacturers, there are not one but three mechanisms of birth control pills: 1) inhibiting ovulation (the primary mechanism), 2) thickening the cervical mucus, thereby making it more difficult for sperm to travel to the egg, and 3) thinning and shriveling the lining (endometrium) of the uterus to the point that it is unable to facilitate the implantation of the newly fertilized egg. While the first two mechanisms are contraceptive, the third is abortive.
    When a woman taking the Pill discovers she is pregnant (according to The Physician's Desk References efficacy rate tables, listed under every contraceptive, this is 3% of pill-takers each year), it means that all three of these mechanisms have failed. Clearly then, this third mechanism sometimes fails in its role as backup, just as the first and second mechanisms sometimes fail. Each and every time the third mechanism succeeds, however, it causes an abortion.

3. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Absolutely right. In my experience, even Christians who claim to be pro-life won't accept this because the personal cost of accepting it is too high: believe that the pill can cause abortions and they must either acknowledge that they are happy to use abortifacient birth control or they must use some other method of contraception, or none. Most are not willing to face the consequences of this.

Liz

4. Karen

Karen Active Member

Dear Liz,
    Except that my town has several pro-life doctors and OB-GYNs. In talking with them, they have said that there is no such thing as "THE pill".
    There are a wide variety of pills.
    Not all CAN have the effect you describe.

Karen

5. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Fair enough, I accept that, but it is surely the responsibility of ALL Christians to ask the question direct "Does this medication EVER work by preventing implanation?"

When I was about to get married 9about four years ago), I approached my GP on this issue, stating that I was not prepared to use anything that could possibly work by preventing implanation. Because I said that, the GP did not suggest even one chemical method - only barrier methods.

Liz

Liz