1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Watching Sports on Sunday Violating Sabbath?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the very beginning there've been those skipping out on the blessings of Sunday evening worship, recall how Thomas missed the Lord's appearance!

[Jn 20]
    On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were...Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you....As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit”....Now Thomas, one of the Twelve...was not with them when Jesus came.

2. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sabbath is not Sunday, You are not a Jew from Moses to the time of Jesus,
    AND I cant find Sunday football mentioned in the Bible and everybody knows Saturday is better football.

Go Dawgs

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems that the greater number LOOK for an excuse not to honor the Lord one day a week.

The command given was six days you will labor and rest on the seventh. It was changed to a principle with the Lord's resurrection.

That the greater number of believers chase after the world and worldly even on that day in which they choose to "worship" for a short time is merely demonstrating the general weakness of the assemblies.

Why long to face a two dimensional foul presentations, when you could spend time in the fullness of the Spirit with the creator?

Why cheer for the ungodly rather than weep their souls remain obstinate?

Why not be as Christ who wept over the Jews, longing for them to gather to Him?

Can we not be ashamed at loving the distractions more than the devotions to the Lord?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saturday is the seventh Day, the Sabbath, Sunday is the first, We worship on the day of Resurrection, not the Sabbath

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are devoting the whole day to worship?

Or, are you giving to God a small "hour" and then engaging is selfishness the rest of the time?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that we are not given the Sabbath of the Jews, but still are to observe One Day a week, in our case Sunday!

7. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    verse?

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early Christians gathered together to pray, be taught, do offerings first day of the week, Sunday!

9. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if you don't heat your house or cook on Saturday in the dead of winter.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Confession 22:7 !

arbca.com/1689-chapter22

"he hath particularly appointed one day in seven for a sabbath to be kept holy unto him, which from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ was the last day of the week, and from the resurrection of Christ was changed into the first day of the week, which is called the Lord's day: and is to be continued to the end of the world as the Christian Sabbath"

#30 Jerome, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not long as it didn't interfere with one's church attendance.
    But that's just MY view. If YOU feel guilty for doing it, then don't do it, in accordance with Colossians 2:16.

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you live in?

A log cabin with a wood burning stove and no refrigeration?

:)

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Earliest assembly met everyday, even prayed into the night for Peter’s release, and had all needs met.

Modern church might meet once on a convenient day, pray little, and starves from lack of nourishment.

• Like Like x 1
  14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What value is there in watching sports?

How did the Lord spend His "off" hours?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob - not sure If I totally agree with you.
    So a person feels guilty - but WHY does he feel guilty -is it because he was told he should feel guilty?
    What he needs to do is be convicted that he should feel guilty for (fill in the blank)

Someone said Why cheer for the ungodly rather than weep their souls remain obstinate?

Why not be as Christ who wept over the Jews, longing for them to gather to Him?

Here in the Salt City, Tim Tebow is on the local AAA Farm Team of the Mets.
    Are you saying I cannot come out and support a brother in Christ?

and coming to a Ball Game, is just as good as anyplace else to present the Gospel to a fan.
    Several years ago, the play-by-play announcer was a Christian - I met him at the
    Teams chapel service. (The GM allowed me to attend once - due to my postion with the radio station)

YEs, we can be witnesses even at a ball game!

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    with cheese

17. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    not that, I agree with that, show me the extension of the Sabbath

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sabbath of the Law is the seventh day. For me as a Christian my Sabbath is Christ, ". . . There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. . . ." -- Hebrews 4:9-11. ". . . Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. . . . This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. . . ." -- John 6:27-29.

19. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is what I was expecting

is this a form of Christian legalism? wishing to be like a Hebrew to understand Hebrews? or make it a direst application to us?

none of the post reflects the weekly Sabbath

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God gives different perspectives to each individual. For example, some like a large choir, or a band to perform at a service, while others prefer no church music at all. Somehave no prob with women wearing pants, men having long hair, etc. while others feel such things are sinful. That's why God had Paul put Colossians 2:16 in His word. Thus, we are to respect the views of Christians who feel differently from ourselves about those things, providing those "things" aren't outright evil to everyone.

But you're right about witnessing opportunities. The Holy Spirit mighta had us go to a certain place at a certain time in order to meet someone seeking Jesus we didn't know about, and a conversation alerts you to that fact, so we can present the Gospel to that person.

(A little aside: I've found one of the best places to place Gospel tracts so they get read by people who need to read'em is in public restrooms.)