1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isn't tenderheartedness a mandate we find in the Bible?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Harold Garvey, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I haven't railed on anyone. I haven't asked anyone to leave. I haven't threatened anyone. I haven't directly accused anyone of anything. I haven't suggested anything but answering each other in this way.

Please explain tenderheartedness without any of the altered states of the above.

Show me where each of the posters on this topic have expressed it?

Explain your view of tenderheartedness. please do so without the idea of entanglement of others.

#21 Harold Garvey, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
  2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

To concentrate upon the 'tenderheartedness' of verse 32 and ignore the mandates of verse 31 is foolishness.

Christ was the very epitome of tenderheartedness but He did not let it keep him from calling Peter "Satan" when he deserved it.

Folks here are trying to do you a favor, but you just don't get it.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you wrote, "I have observed many here who seem to think themselves above others and speak in ways that in our church would merit discipline." That is a judgment. If you believe that then you must follow the biblical mandate in Mt. 18.

What is your standard of liberal and conservative? I take the position that so many in churches today hold to conservative theology but live like practical atheists. That is about as lukewarm as one can get.

What is JUNK? I just happen to believe that a large majority of churches are dead or dying and not very many are making disciples. Does that mean if I walked into your church that I should judge your church by what I believe is important. I believe that genuine discipleship is extremely important. If 100% of the congregation were not actively making disciples does that mean they should be asked to leave?

Tenderhearted is being compassionate. When I look at Jesus in the gospels I see a person who loves others and stands up for the lowly in society. I would never treat a new believer the same as a troublemaker. Chrisitanity is more about exemplifying Christ than arguing over various doctrines. One can know all about various doctrines and still not love.

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Oy!

FTR, some of us may be uncomfortable with your use of the word "gee".

I have been here for just a little while now. On my first day I was a bit taken back by the politics forum. Things can get downright nasty in there. On the other hand, I've found this place to be thought-provoking, kind, and loving---even when someone might disagree with me (which, let's be honest, who would? LOL!). The BB gives everyone a chance and treats everyone with the same regard. What the BB doesn't like is a newbie coming in and rebuking before getting a feel of what the board is really like.

My advice---step back. Read as much as you can. Then when you've gotten a feel for the place, jump in. Of course when you jump in, you needn't have your feelings sticking out too far. They're just debating---not ripping you apart.

Christians can get along, as displayed right here on the BB. Give it a chance. It might grow on you.

5. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

No, I believe you are the one who doesn't "get it".

I find the Lord perfectly able to judge the heart of another, not you.

As tender as I can, I find that veiled attacks as if calling another member "satan" is probably the most common antic of the carnal mind.

I find that Peter never "deserved" to be called satan, but I do find that the rebuke was necessary due to the act of his would possibly prevent the will of God.

I find nowhere that I am preventing the will of God but rather pointing out its direction.

God bless you, mex.

6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

This is not your church or mine. I only made the analogy.

Are you always so negative? What are you doing to enhance and encourage others to hold to a conservative stand?

I have found that when one throws spoiled cabage in the face of another they don't respond well.

According to the way I've been spoken to by some here, not you mind you, I will say "yes" to your scenario.

The JUNK is dealt with when needed to "spank" the children

I will never agree to that idea. To know doctrines is to apply them and one cannot rightly do so without and devoid of the compassion of Christ. I believe it is called having the love of God shed abroad in our hearts.

What is missing in passion is the Christ which makes it compassion.

I find many who are zealous and passionate about what they believe, lacking compassion as the Good Samaritan showed us all.

I see "lawyers ans scribes", I see "priests and others". I don't see many good Samaritans.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Okay. Whatever.

May God bless you also.

8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I did alot of reading without posting. I only responded to what I read.

There are some who are "ripping" at me. I can take it, can they take it in return? No.

when I disagree with some one, unless they are using foul language, I do not ask them to leave. I don't threaten them with expulsion. I give them a fair chance to express themselves more fully than at first impression. I should expect others to show me the same grace in return and follow the mandate of being tenderhearted.

I am beginning to see some of it now from a few, but not all.

I have yet to see any from some.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if you were aiming in my direction or not. I think I only made one post telling you to take a rest, observe more, and "speak less". I don't believe that can be characterized as ripping at you.

Can you really take it? Your posts are testimony that you cannot.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The beam in the eye blinds some to their true condition.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of our flesh (sarx):

Galatians 5
    15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
    16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Every brother/sister will eventually disappoint/offend you.
    It's just what we do, often times unaware that we have offended another.

James 2
    2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
    3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
    4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
    5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
    6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

Here is what to do Harold: As much as is in you, forgive and forget.
    See the hornet's nest this thread stirred up?

Colossians 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

A debate and/or a challenge shouldn't turn into an argument.

There is however a time for discipline and harshness to protect the flock, and to attempt to modify the behavior of the offender, that's different.

HankD

12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Please, don't be so vain that you think I made that remark about you.

Nice of you to make that call, but here I am, shoot!

The question is, when I shoot back can YOU take it? Don't believe you yet have without railing back.

I'd hope we can get to know each other before getting all worked up over nothing.

13. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Speaking from present condition or just experience?:thumbsup:

14. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Ok, so now a debate is like a hornet's nest? Are you suggesting I am to avoid the hornets?

Amen, you are forgiven, now, am I?

I agree and thank you for your comments.

Debates are arguements though.

OK, whose "flock"?

Your posts are found to be graceful and informative as well as instructive. I hope that we all could give the same example as you have given.

I like reading your posts.:thumbsup:​

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And this is an example of being tenderhearted?

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Again - is this being tenderhearted?

17. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Did I ask or accuse? Isn't the term "please" being polite anymore?

18. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Yes, because we've all had a beam in our eye sometimes.

Now, may I ask you are you being tenderhearted or slanting some sort of accusation?

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have no ax to grind with you. If I did not care I would not even take the time it takes to write this. However I think you are completely missing the point that several others including myself are trying to make. Personally I find your postings to be riddled with judgments that I find are wrong doctrinally and lack an understanding of ministry and discipleship. One can know all about doctrines intellectually and not even be a believer. The demons believe and shudder. Your understanding of "know" is not the "know" of the Bible. I would suggest that as you read the gospels notice how Jesus treated people, the words he used, and the care he gave. Then contrast that to the self righteous he condemned. As you read the gospels try and see which category you are in.

Sometime do a word study on the word "know." It goes far deeper than just knowing doctrines.

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

gb, I think you are wasting your time. The righteous shall live by faith and not by self-proclamation to the detriment of others.

My righteousness is not determined by comparing myself to others. I can always find someone who is lower on the totem pole than I am. There's always someone I can point a finger at. But, when I compare myself to Christ, I fall far short of the mark. I find that the real finger is pointed at me. My self-righteousness (no matter how good it may be compared to someone else) is as filthy rags when compared to Christ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.