1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured IT IS FINISHED!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Sep 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 19: 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Simple question or is it?... What was finished?... Brother Glen:)

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    His suffering. He had been obedient to death, even the death on a cross. That "solidarity" was completed and the "promise" the OT saints longed for had been accomplished.

3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elaborate... What promise?... Brother Glen:)

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Messiah who would deliver His people. This was foretold in Genesis (Satan crushing His heel, He crushing Satan's head).

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to scripture who are his people?... Brother Glen:)

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who "receive Him"; "those who believe in His name".

7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on Jon you can quote scripture... What about those he receives?... That's the key... Brother Glen:)

John 17: 4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

8. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joh 17:20 "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word;

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes,

Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

Rom 10:13 for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

Rom 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

@tyndale1946 do you mean like these verses.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was quoting Scripture.

John 1 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Here are my thoughts. First a question About how much time does one think pass between Jesus saying it is finished until he said Father unto your hands I commit my spirit?

James 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Is that the same as in John 19? But one may ask, what about sin was finished in the death of Christ?
    And I believe it to be the following.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned [the] sin in the flesh:

Was that when the sin was condemned, to the to flesh [dative if it matters] [I know, no Greek] ?

Is not the same concept seen in 1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh [indeed to flesh], but quickened by the Spirit [yet to the spirit]: [Dative, if it matters, in both]

Edited to add. Might even add 2 Cor 5:21 to the concept when you consider Rom 8:4 with 3 concerning righteousness.

11. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He fully executed the Divine Purpose, did everything required that saved all for whom He died, all them which had been given Him by the Father before the foundation, not one of them shall be lost.

12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question for you BF. If those that are saved were given to Christ before the foundation of the world and Christ came to save the lost then who did Christ come to save?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Pe_2:24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.

2Co 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 7: 4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

Revelation 7: 9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

Brother Glen:)

#14 tyndale1946, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  15. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does not answer the question. If those that are saved were given to Christ before the foundation of the world and Christ came to save the lost then who did Christ come to save?

#15 Silverhair, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Jesus said "It is finished" in verse 30 was already done prior to verse 28, "Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, . . ." That Greek verb τετελεσται, tetelestai, in this form occurs only twice in the whole New Testament. Meaning "paid in full."

17. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those given Him before the foundation of the world.

18. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a non answer. Where is the biblical text in support of your assertion?

Remember the question.
    If those that are saved were given to Christ before the foundation of the world and Christ came to save the lost, which the bible clearly states, then who did Christ come to save?

If they are already saved then when did they become unsaved? If they did not become unsaved then why did Christ have to save them again?

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 10:15, ". . . As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my soul for the sheep. . . ."

20. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats my answer. Post 11 you understand it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.