1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Its NHL playoff time!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 7, 2008.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Go Stars :thumbs: I think a Stars-Pens final would be entertaining.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

After one period its 2 nothing Detroit. They are 2 for 3 on the power play. Franzen scores again!

GO WINGS!!!!

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it didn't take long to decide Game 1 - a 2 man advantage goal and then a 1 man advantage goal in the first period. Now I can go spend some time with my wife instead of watching the rest of the game.

Unfortunately, I just don't see how the Stars avoid losing in five games, maybe even in a sweep. The Red Wings are clearly head and shoulders above the Stars this season.

However, the Stars have greatly exceeded expectations in these playoffs and have laid the ground work for a future run(s) at winning a second Stanley Cup. :)

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

When the Wings continue to dominate in the post-season with a 4-1 win last night.

Dallas took a lot of penalties which is probably due to fatigue from their last series against the Sharks. When you can´t skate with your opponent its easy to start committing penalties in the attempt to slow them down.

I can not see a sweep here though. I think Dallas will at least get a win in not two.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Detroit looked good last night. After having survived a real fight in the 1st round with the Predators, the Wings have kicked it up a notch.

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

It was Turc oh no!

Ah well on to game two - the only postitive - the Wings should have scored about 8

I can only hope the Stars were just tired and will play better the rest of the series

Did not comment earlier today - was down at Texas A&M watching the proudest member of the fighting Texas Aggie class of 2008 (my daughter) graduate!

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Kudos to you & your family

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

First off congrats to you and your daughter Jimmy.

Secondly GO WINGS! Clearly they don´t need Franzen in the lineup to win.

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Thanks guys - she was a great student - and will be again in September - some kids just wont grow up!!! By the way - A&M is a wonderful institution, I cant recommend it highly enough. Plenty of opportunities for christian kids to have a great witness and great Christian fellowship. As far as major universities go, A&M is probably the most conservative out there - although you do still have to contend with the occasional gay proff...

Now onto the important stuff - no suspensions for Robero or Osgood. I personally think, and am WAY biased, that Osgoods butt end of the stick to Robero's face was much worse than the slash to the padding of Osgoods uniform. Osgood should have gotten a penalty for poor acting imho. did you notice that he was writing around on the ice - motioned to the bench, and then commenced to writhe a bit more HA! As the boys on the TV said, Osgood probably needed ONE ice cube to ice down his injury.

That said - no excuse for what Robero did, the stars need him too badly to let his emotions take control (even if he could have lost an eye with that butt)

Stars are in must win territory for the next two games, Zubov must play better, Stars must score more than two goals, I really need Turco to stand on his head. Detroit is playing great hockey

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Ok now my biased take on it. Osgood barely hit Robiero and he did so to protect Lidstrom whom Robiero was going after.

And what bout Ott´s suker punch to Draper after the whistle? What was the point of that?

I am not sure Turco can stand on his head against Detroit. He just seems to be bothered by them. We will see how he does in Dallas.

I really can´t see Dallas winning this series. Though the are talented team they are not the better team but getting outplayed in every department- face-offs, shots, hits etc. To win four out of the next 5 against Detroit seems unlikely.

No to the eastern conference. The Penguins look great, I will be surprised if Philly can pull out even one win.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Red Wings are playing GREAT hockey. If they don't win the Stanley Cup this season it will have to be considered one of the biggest disappointments in the history of the Red Wings. They are head and shoulders above any of the teams left in the playoffs.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Some one who sees the light.:laugh: :thumbs:

I have not really seen the Penguins play, but from what some analysts are saying, the cup showed be theirs to lose because Detroit blah blah blah. They use the same old arguments- too old, too slow, inconsistent goaltending etc. All of these things have been laid to rest.

Now anything can happen in the playoffs. But the way things look right now- the cup is coming back to Hockeytown and the Wings are emphatically showing that is the case by the way they are playing right now.

GO WINGS!

13. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

A bit more mind candy from Razor Ray - "the Stars look as lost as a woodpecker in a petrified forrest"

He also compared this series against back in the day when the Stars were playing Edmonton in the playoffs - the Stars always had an answer for Edmonton. In the same vein Detroit is playing at another level. I really thought that Dallas would win last night, Detroit has proven that they are amazing.

By the way - no doubt that Ott should have been suspended from my point of view. I heard Osgood's interview after the game where Ribero so severly wounded him that he had to take half a baby asprin to get over it :) He said O did I hit him (as in I wasnt trying to hit him, I didnt even know he was there) then I was only protecting my player (from the noted 160 pound ruffian Ribero). So which was it - he didnt know he was there or he was trying to "protect" his teammate with the butt end of his stick to Ribero's face

I think the NHL did the right thing by not suspending Ribero, even though he is the one that would have gone. fortunately Ribero hit Osgood where he is probably the most protected

I do not want to take anything away from the way the Detroit D is playing, from their back line to Osgood. They have been stellar. I think I heard that they would be the first team since 91 to win the presidents cup and the stanly cup if they continue to take care of business

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! I didn't think that the Stars would actually make a series of this.

What must the Red Wing players be thinking as they prepare to fly back to Dallas for game 6?

15. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I dont see the Wings losing 4 in a row, that said - can you imagine the pressure on them if the Stars manage another win tonight??

the Stars D has really stepped up only allowing one goal in each of the past two games. I think the Stars only chance is to continue that level of defensive play - highly improbable against that Detroit unit. At least a series that looked like a snoozer has turned into a good one.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Nothing but playing there game. The numbers still favor Detroit. Wings only lost four in a row once this season, the likelihood of that happening again is not high.

Star have played with heart and desperation and managed to pull off a couple of wins like I expected.

Game 4 should have been the Wings but there was some pretty bad calls. Taking the goal away because Holmstoms behind was in the paint was clearly a case of the league trying to make itself look good after the blown call against Dallas in the previous game.

Is it just me or is the NHL the worst refed sport in all of the major US sports. It seems like I see missed calls and bad calls happen all the time.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, with the NBA close behind.

18. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The difference in the NHL and the NBA - in my opinion, is that the reffs in the NHL feel compelled to give the "make up" call. It is seldom that the penalties dont average out over the course of a game - and even a stars homer like me would argue that Holstroms penalty in game 4 was a makeup for his not being called for interference in an earlier game - butt in the crease, classic.

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree the NBA is pretty bad too. The whole idea of a makeup call is sad. Two wrongs don´t make a right. I can understand a bad call now and then since refs are human, but to try to fix the situation later just makes the problem worse.

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Three nothing Detroit at the end of the first period. Still 2 periods to play but this looks over all ready.