1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

J. Macarthur on John 3:16

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reynolds, Sep 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Macarthur is currently teaching on The Love of God. I will not attempt to summarize hours of teaching and do it justice. What I found profound was his interpretation of John 3:16 is nothing like that of our resident Calvinists. It further cements my theory that most of the Calvinists on here subscribe to a view of Calvinism OUTSIDE the mainstream Calvinist doctrine.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They also "debate" it outside the mainstreasm

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Curious. What is mainstream Calvinist doctrine?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Per the Non Cals, its anything that denies full free will!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so, as we debate and discuss theology from the perspective well in the mainstream!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Dr Mac teach full free will, and that God intended all lost sinners to get saved by the cross now then?

7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to hear from @Reynolds on this because he is the one who made the assertion.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all would appreciate that!

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh no what goes on around here us straight out of James White debate school and it is of the lowest common denominator

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dr.White is a mainstream

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not half the mess on here.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a perfect example of the trash on here I was referencing. Wild accusations.

#12 Reynolds, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im quite sure you think so

14. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Sermon
    (No. 1850)
    Intended for reading on Lord's-Day, July 26th, 1885,
    Delivered by
    C. H. SPURGEON,
    At the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington,
    On the evening of June 7th, 1885

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."- Jhn 3:16

[snip]

To-night, we have to talk about the love of God: "God so loved the world." That love of God is a very wonderful thing, especially when we see it set upon a lost, ruined, guilty world. What was there in the world that God should love it? There was nothing lovable in it. No fragrant flower grew in that arid desert. Enmity to him, hatred to his truth, disregard of his law, rebellion against his commandments; those were the thorns and briars which covered the waste land; but no desirable thing blossomed there. Yet, "God loved the world," says the text; "so" loved it, that even the writer of the book of John could not tell us how much; but so greatly, so divinely, did he love it that he gave his Son, his only Son, to redeem the world from perishing, and to gather out of it a people to his praise.

[snip]

I. The first is the GIFT: "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son." I Men who love much will give much, and you may usually measure the truth of love by its self-denials and sacrifices. That love which spares nothing, but spends itself to help and bless its object, is love indeed, and not the mere name of it. Little love forgets to bring water for the feet, but great love breaks its box of alabaster and lavishes its precious ointment.

[snip]

II. Now notice secondly, and, I think I may say, with equal admiration, the love of God in THE PLAN OF SALVATION. He has put it thus: "that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life." The way of salvation is extremely simple to understand, and exceedingly easy to practise, when once the heart is made willing and obedient. The method of the covenant of grace differs as much from that of the covenant of works as light from darkness. It is not said that God has given his Son to all who will keep his law, for that we could not do, and therefore the gift would have been available to none of us. Nor is it said that he has given his Son to all that experience terrible despair and bitter remorse, for that is not felt by many who nevertheless are the Lord's own people. But the great God has given his own Son, that "whosoever believeth in him" should not perish. Faith, however slender, saves the soul. Trust in Christ is the certain way of eternal happiness.

[snip]

III. Thirdly, the love of God shines forth with transcendent brightness in a third point, namely, in THE PERSONS FOR WHOM THIS PLAN IS AVAILABLE, and for whom this gift is given. They are described in these words-"Whosoever believeth in him." There is in the text a word which has no limit-"God so loved the world"; but then comes in the descriptive limit, which I beg you to notice with care: "He gave his Only Begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him might not perish." God did not so love the world that any man who does not believe in Christ shall be saved; neither did God so give his Son that any man shall be saved who refuses to believe in him. See how it is put-"God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish." Here is the compass of the love: while every unbeliever is excluded, every believer is included.

[snip]

IV. Now fourthly, another beam of divine love is to be seen in the negative blessing here stated, namely, in THE DELIVERANCE implied in the words, "that whosoever believeth in him should not perish."

I understand that word to mean that whosoever believes in the Lord Jesus Christ shall not perish, though he is ready to perish. His sins would cause him to perish, but he shall never perish. At first he has a little hope in Christ, but its existence is feeble. It will soon die out, will it not? No, his faith shall not perish, for this promise covers it-"Whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish." The penitent has believed in Jesus, and therefore he has begun to be a Christian; "Oh," cries an enemy, "let him alone: he will soon be back among us; he will soon be as careless as ever." Listen. "Whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish," and therefore he will not return to his former state. This proves the final perseverance of the saints; for if the believer ceased to be a believer he would perish; and as he cannot perish, it is clear that he will continue a believer. If thou believest in Jesus, thou shalt never leave off believing in him; for that would be to perish. If thou believest in him, thou shalt never delight in thine old sins; for that would be to perish. If thou believest in him, thou shalt never lose spiritual life. How canst thou lose that which is everlasting? If thou wert to lose it, it would prove that it was not everlasting, and thou wouldst perish; and thus thou wouldst make this word to be of no effect. Whosoever with his heart believeth in Christ is a saved man, not for to-night only, but for all the nights that ever shall be, and for that dread night of death, and for that solemn eternity which draws so near. "Whosoever believeth in him shall not perish;" but he shall have a life that cannot die, a justification that cannot be disputed, an acceptance which shall never cease.

[snip]

V. The last commendation of his love lies in the positive-IN THE POSSESSION. I shall have to go in a measure over the same ground again, let me therefore be the shorter. God gives to every man that believes in Christ everlasting life. The moment thou believest there trembles into thy bosom a vital spark of heavenly flame which never shall be quenched. In that same moment when thou dost cast thyself on Christ, Christ comes to thee in the living and incorruptible word which liveth and abideth for ever. Though there should drop into thy heart but one drop of the heavenly water of life, remember this,-he hath said it who cannot lie,-"The water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." When I first received everlasting life I had no idea what a treasure had come to me. I knew that I had obtained something very extraordinary, but of its superlative value I was not aware. I did but look to Christ in the little chapel, and I received eternal life. I looked to Jesus, and he looked on me; and we were one for ever. That moment my joy surpassed all bounds, just as my sorrow had aforetime driven me to an extreme of grief. I was perfectly at rest in Christ, satisfied with him, and my heart was glad; but I did not know that this grace was everlasting life till I began to read in the Scriptures, and to know more fully the value of the jewel which God had given me.

[snip]

C. H. Spurgeon :: Immeasurable Love

Is Charles Spurgeon "mainstream"?

• Like Like x 2
  15. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Can you describe one of the ideas that makes his teaching profound to you?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Call the dividing line and maybe you could help straighten him out.
    I would pay money to hear that phone call

17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing profound about it.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont really disagree with him much. Point is he does not agree with you in particular at all. His interpretation of John 3:16 is direct opposite yours. You call him and straighten him out.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it not be theology such as a Berkhof and a Boice and a Calvin and a Grudem espoused then?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that he affirms not of those points, and he is "mainstream"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.