1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jacobus Arminius

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Dec 27, 2018.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    During his lifetime Jacobus Arminius was considered one of the most intelligent Calvinistic scholars (which is ironic as his “opponent”, Gomarus, was considered mediocre). Both Beza and Grynaeus praised his intellect (Beza noting that God gifted him with “an apt intellect both as respects the apprehension and the discrimination of things”. Arminius was, until his death, a professor at Leiden.

Although I am not an Arminian (don’t hold a faith that is of Calvinistic origin), I have read a few of Arminius’ works.

I was just curious as to how many Calvinists have read Arminius and if you have what you thought of his theology (excluding the obvious disagreement concerning predestination).

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminius might have been considered "reformed" (before Calvinists tried to monopolize on the term) but what on earth makes you say he was a Calvinist??? He clearly taught in opposition to Calvinism...and not just against predestination, which in itself refutes all 5 points of Calvinism..

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because he was a Calvinist. He was also a Calvinist professor in a Calvinistic university.

The man was considered a Calvinist when he died. At the first examination it had been determined that his views were not enough to consider him unorthodox (that it could exist within Calvinism). And it was under that decision that he died.

Also, Arminianism is of Calvinistic trajectory. It holds Calvinistic presuppositions and it's soteriology handles issues of the Atonement where the camps part within a Calvinistic understanding. It was a disagreement from within Calvinism. The issue is the Five Articles addressed by the Five Points. This, however, happened after Arminius died.

What we typically consider at "Calvinism" are the points that addressed the Five Articles. But I'm speaking of the works of Arminius. If he was held in such high regard by men like Beza, is there anything that may be gained for a Calvinist to read his works?

4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, you are welcome to put that way but my understanding is that Arminius came to the college after the faculty members suddenly died from the plague and was known as a “seeker and a doubter” by the only remaining faculty member, Gomarus, ...but the appointment of Arminius had a political backing and so it was. Controversy escalated quickly with Gomarus who was a forceful defender of Calvinistic doctrine and a conflict developed. That said, I wouldn’t refer to Arminius as ever being a follower of Calvinistic doctrines, but I won’t sidetrack your thread on this subject.

As to your question, yes, I think Calvinists should study hard the seeking and doubting views and works of Arminius, “the Calvinist”, much to gain! ;)

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was a student under Beza and then a pastor (a Calvinist one). He was called back to be a professor. When he died he still held the position. The only counsel he was subjected to determined his theories were within the bounds of Calvinistic theology. It is pretty much impossible to view the man as anything but a Calvinist.

Of course, how we use the term is different. As baptists there are certain ideas we have that are unorthodox in terms of Calvinistic theology.

We can't place Arminius under a system that was developed after his death.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is Arminius began to question Calvinism in his early 20's and left the academy where he studied under Beza (Calvin's successor) at that time. He must have been like 43 when he joined the faculty at the college which immediately began controversies and conflict over the cause of grace, faith, and free will.

Anyway, here is a handy link for Arminius writings:
    Theology : The Works of James Arminius

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't he deny Limited Atonement, and Held to a form of free will salvation though, along with not sure about losing salvation?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scope of the Atonement was just becoming an issue.

We cannot know how he would have stood had he been subject to th be 5 points.

His issue was primary predestination and the "problem" of evil.

But during his lifetime he was considered to be within Calvinistic thought.

You have to remember there were differences among Capvinists then just as there are now. Even the 5 points accomidated a broader view of the scope of the Atonement than some prefered.