1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James 5:14 question

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, Feb 5, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

James 5:14 in KJV "Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:" Is this verse for today? How often is it practiced? What if Americans, for example, could not get healthcare because we are not "pagan" enough, then would we be forced to do this for healing? What if believers in third world countries need healing (even today), then should they use this approach? What if a husband and wife had trouble getting pregnant, then would it be appropriate for the pastor and the deacons to visit this couple and anoint the wife with oil and pray over this couple? I do not have all of the answers. Maybe there is a larger issue or question that I should be asking and have missed. Thanks, Mr.Messy

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Boy is this one ever relevant for us right now!

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/26/1965.html?

While it is certainly appropriate for anyone to call for the elders to come and anoint with oil, this is far from a sure promise of healing to all who are anointed. The word that is used in James does not signify ceremonial anointing and may well be understood in the sense of “rub on medicine”. Paul begged God three times to take away the thorn in his flesh. God said, no. The word “save” in James 5:14 is a very common NT word and means to deliver. It can signify physical healing, but it does not necessarily have this meaning. It may be best to connect this with the forgiveness of sins mentioned in the passage and to take it as a reference to spiritual deliverance rather than physical deliverance. I wish I could claim this as a formula to bring healing to physical ailments, but neither the context, the original language, or the overall context of Scripture can allow me to make such assertions regarding this text. Believe me, with all my heart I wish it said that. If you want to understand how much I wish this was a promise for divine healing go to the link and read about my prayer request for my son.

Always, God can heal. Sometimes He does. Sometimes He does not. His ways are not ours and we must trust in His wisdom and not our own. I could not even imagine how my faith in this could be tested any greater than it is being tested right now. Pray for us.

Oh, and we certainly do pray for people in serious physical need. Sometimes we let them come to the front of the church and we all gather around them and pray for them as a body of believers. God has often healed completely. He often does this in conjunction with full avail of all the appropriate medical and other health resources. God does not always heal as we would like.

3. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

Thank you, rjprince, for your comments. Mr. Messy.