1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James White makes a fool out of Ergun Caner....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Grasshopper, Feb 11, 2010.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If you really want to go to LBTS, I don't think your soteriology should be an issue, unless you were asked to give it up.

I don't think this would be the case.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Martin,

I see things a bit different regarding Caner as president: While I think he should be a lot better, as a president of a seminary, I don't think it really matters that much.

3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

James White is no doubt a committed Christian but... His irc channel is sadly a breeding ground for young calvinists, he scaves for money to, like the puritan board.

They are always looking for money. Try some faith guys.

This board needs to drop all the adds to. I can't stand people who try to make money off the Gospel in the way that they do. It's not as if they have ever produced any interesting anyway? Just arguments.

4. Len

Len Member

Thanks for the input! Are you a current or former LBTS student? In order to not hijack this thread, I started another thread (Calvinistic Students in LBTS DLP on Baptist Colleges / Seminaries) to get some feedback on these issues. I'd love to see you jump in over there. Blessings!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What?! You are confused. Non-Cals do believe that Christ died for each and every person -- which includes all Muslims, Jews and Mormons. You as a non-Cal believe that, do you not Amy?

How then can you fairly say that Dr.White has misrepresented non-Cals here?

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He adheres to Refomed Theology which most certainly is not modified Calvinism!

Please elaborate on these "finer points" you mentioned.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. David Michael Harris

I just wish James as articulate as he is would bash it out with David Wolpe, been asking for this for years. I so much want to see Mr Wolpe saved.

Please if you get a moment from yourselves :) pray for David Wolpe that he may become a Christian.

9. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

It's not that His death is lacking any power to cause insufficiency, it is the power of doubt and unbelief that causes one's faith or lack of faith to make that person insufficient of the power of grace.

A person cannot even be saved apart from belief that Jesus is the Son of God.:1_grouphug:

10. David Michael Harris

It's beyond me. That's for sure. All is done in righteousness and clay and potter. I just say thank you Lord. And have mercy on others, it's this latter lack of understanding in others that bothers me.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come on.
    You don't really believe all those Bible verses, do you, now ?
    I mean, come on...
    yea, did God say that ?
    No, Paul did.:tonofbricks:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

All Cals believe that Christ only died for some. That is a fact. Limited atonement. James White is no different. He is arrogant and insulting to those who don't believe in the TULIP.

13. David Michael Harris

Give him a break. Let's all try to work it out a bit. Call a truce for a year or two.

The Klingons were always hard to deal with :)

14. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

James was responding to what Caner said in an interview(or debate if your Caner). I think White was responding to what he precieved as a shot at him. If one listens to White much you know that he will not back down from a precieved shot, which I think was clearly what Caner was doing. Not to mention these two have a history.

His podasts are very entertaining and informative.

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't find that to be true at all. He is tough on those who can't defend their positions well. I have seen Dr. White in many debates and he is polite towards those who he can respect. However those who are just pushing their traditions (Baptist, Catholic, otherwise) will not enjoy their debate with him. In my opinion, that is the way it should be. In this case I think his stance against Dr. Caner is too harsh. I'm not saying that I totally disagree with Dr. White. Caner clearly does not engage in the type of debates he should as President of a seminary that says it is on the frontline of global apologetics (they offer an MA in Global Apologetics which, btw, I would love to do), his definition of "debate" is far too broad, and his approach towards difficult theological issues is far too simplistic. I don't think Dr. Caner is a bad man nor do I think he is a liar. He is a very nice man and I believe he is a good Christian man. However his approach is not what I expect from a major seminary president. Don't get me wrong, he has the degrees for the job (MA. Criswell College, MDiv. and ThM. Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, ThD. University of South Africa), he just does not behave like a seminary president should.

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Your probably right. However I have had my concerns about Dr. Caner since he was appointed by Jerry Falwell.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==It costs money to host a website, travel, purchase equipment, and buy the necessary books (etc). Ministries and churches have to pay the bills after all. AOMIN has produced many wonderful books by Dr. White, along with sermons, and very helpful debates. He is one of the best debators I have seen in a long time. People who get into a debate with him who are not prepared will not enjoy the experience.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It has nothing to do with power. God ordained that man has a choice and some decide not to believe Him. Is not God able to do this if He so desired?

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Some? How about the vast majority? No, better yet, how about all? The Bible says that man left to himself does not and cannot come to Christ (Jn 6:44, Rom 3:10-18). That is not just a Calvinistic teaching, that is a Biblical teaching. Even Arminius himself acknowledged this point.

20. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

So when Caner was speaking of the Reformed apologists, you think he was speaking about James White. Surely White believes so.

Yes White is bold, but I'm wondering if this is an area where we can respectfully debate and not divide? Is the Arminian/Calvinism controversy considered an essential doctrine in either direction? Can we as Christians unite and agree to respect each others views on God's sovereignty and man's responsibility?