1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jer 17:9 in the KJV.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Ulsterman, Apr 5, 2007.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As well as "would to God" where the word for deity is not used (except for one place).

My assumption is that the English translators used these phrases in both the testaments as it was as folks have said - in common usage in 17th century England.

HankD

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I have heard people use "God forbid" in every day speech here in the UK.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just returned this morning from a great vacation in San Francisco and Yosemite (witnessing man's depravity and God's glory in the same vacation).

Recently someone in our study group had a question about Exodus 33:11 (“Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend”) concerning how Moses saw God’s face in view of John 1:18 (“No man hath seen God at any time”).
    I looked up a cross reference; Ezra 9:11 which says:
    This lead me to an indepth study of the idiom, “face to face” / “mouth to mouth”, part of which I've included below.

This peculiar idiom is shared by both the Hebrew and Greek languages.
    The Hebrew idiomatic expression “mouth to mouth” ( פֶּה אֶל־פֶּה
    / “peh-el-peh”) is different from the phrase, “face to face” (which uses the root word, פָּנָה, / paneh).

In the Greek, the phrase “face to face” (πρόσωπον πρoς πρόσωπον) is also different from the idiomatic phrase “mouth to mouth” (“στόμα πρoς στόμα:”/ “stoma pros stoma” ) found in 2 John 12.

"Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face,* that our joy may be full. (AV 1873)
    * Gr. mouth to mouth. 3 John 14.

I sure appreciate textual notes which distinguish divergences between manuscripts families,

But even more so, I appreciate when versions add notes that point to the more literal rendering of an expression or passage.
    IMHO, the KJV does a very good job translating the meaning of the phrase while still noting the literal expression.

Rob

#23 Deacon, Apr 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  4. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

A 'literal' translation of the Septuagint (words in italics are implied) --
    is deep the heart beyond all things and man is, who shall know him?​

I am significantly more comfortable with Greek than Hebrew: the word "deep" in Greek seems to be bathos (Strong's #899) which does mean depth or height, and metaphorically can be of the extreme things of God. Not surprisingly, the word "heart" is kardia (Strong's #2588) and can mean either the physical organ, or the spiritual seat of emotions. The words "all things" seem to come from the Greek pantos (Strong's 3843) which means in every way, or altogether doubtless, surely, certainly. The English word "man" is anthropos (Strong's #444) and means human being (female included as well as male). The word "know" is gnosis (Strong's #1108) which means to understand, especially a moral wisdom.

Brenton's 1851 translation of the Septuagint has it this way --
    The heart is deep beyond all things, and it is the man, and who can know him?​

It should be glaringly obvious that there is a lack of explicit expression of deceitfulness or wickedness in the Septuagint.