1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus Suffered In Hell For Our Sins? Is That Biblical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BibleTalk, Dec 19, 2008.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no indication in Scripture that these Saints [Notice that not all saints were included.] possessed a resurrection body like that of Jesus Christ and that they ascended to heaven. It is my belief that these bodies returned to the grave to await the general resurrection. We see from the following Scripture that Jesus Christ was the first resurrection and that there will be no further resurrection until He returns.

1 Corinthians 15:20-23, KJV
    20. But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
    21. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
    22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
    23. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.

2. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

You find that Jesus returns with "ALL HIS SAINTS".

1Th 3:13 at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.

I find where the church is Rapture, both dead/living, and the saints killed/under the altar are all in heaven,

But I don't find any place where the OT saints are taken to heaven, other than when he ascended,

Don't the OT saints return with Jesus, if so, how/when did they get there????

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is not settled at all. Many, like myself, believe there is the material part of us (body) and immaterial (soul/spirit and mind or intelligence). In the OT, soul and spirit are often used interchangeably. Sometimes "soul" refers to feelings or just to a life.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What the Jews believed is really irrelevant. What matters is what God says.

We know that our souls don't go to a grave - only people who believe in soul sleep believe that.

This passage is very obscure and no one is sure what it is saying. One can never pin a doctrine on one obscure or difficult verse. So it's not enough imo to support the view that Abraham's Bosom is somewhere in the ground.

Source
    http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/abrahamsbosom.html

Source
    http://www.theopedia.com/Abraham's_Bosom

5. OldRegular

Good posts Marcia!

6. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Keep believing that and you'll never learn much about the OT or the NT, the OT is the "Schoolmaster", and few Christians understand it from a Jewish view.

Since Jesus, no saved soul goes to the grave, they're in Heaven.

Re 14:14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, (of witnesses) and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.

Re 14:16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped. (rapture)

Is Hell in the center of the earth, Heaven beyond the last star, the point is no one went to heaven until "AFTER" Jesus became the "FIRSTBORN" of all who would follow him.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead;

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do know some things about the Jewish view but I don't think I have to know all Jewish thinking and beliefs, only those relevant to scripture that are essential to understand the text. And I've had 2 OT courses in seminary from an excellent professor who also teaches Hebrew and Greek and Hermeneutics.

He is the first one to bodily resurrect, that is what this means.

8. OldRegular

That Scripture has reference to the resurrection of Jesus Christ, not the destination of the souls of deceased Saints.

I stated at the beginning that this topic smelled of Word of Faith heresy [post #18]. It still does and I am through with it.

9. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

I had a debate with a Jew that ran close, maybe over, 2000 post.

He didn't understand, or accept, any of the connections I made between the two, (OT/NT) but I sure did with his comments/belief.

take my word for it, you really won't understand the NT until you start understanding the OT from the Jewish perspective.

Jesus is the first "BORN AGAIN" person.

1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What!!! :eek:

Jesus did not have to be born again. Jesus is the first one to bodily resurrect, that's what this means.

Are you a Word Faith follower?

11. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

I trying to figure out what faith you are, from your comments??? :laugh:

Jesus was the "FIRST" to be resurrected unto "ETERNAL LIFE".

1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

"NOBODY", was Resurrected prior to Jesus, souls didn't go to heaven prior to Jesus, Enoch/Elijah are exceptions, which you'll find throughout scripture.

I started to use the term "FIRSTBORN" instead of "firstfruit", but thought you might not understand it.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead;

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus was the first to be bodily resurrected, but He always had eternal life because He's God the Son, 2nd person of the Trinity. He never stopped being God.

When you said Jesus was the "first born again person," that means that Jesus had to be regnerated. Being born again or born from above in John 3 means that one is spiritually dead and needs to be born again of the Spirit. Jesus did not need to do this, or are you saying He did? Just trying to clarify.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

No, there is no contradiction whatsoever.

Even damned will one day go to/before God who created them. It is called the judgment. Matthew Henry even agrees with me on this (as well as other Reformed Theologians)
    I already stated that it was refering to old age or did you not read the majority of what I wrote? I was showing that 3-6 is specifically about those who 'did not remember' their creator as they became old with age (which means no longer believing as they seemed to in their youth. Thus fell away). They were miserable and fearful and burdened (vs 5). This burdened is not that they 'are' a burden but due to their ailments of old age it is a burden to those who trusted in their youthful vigor and not rested in their Lord God/Creator. There is no peace seen in this passage of these people. Only misery, clamity, and fear. The scripture states that when they die and go to God - vanity of vanities. There is no joy here only vanity or emptiness.

I also notice you did not answer my question about "does God allow sin in Heaven", nor it seems did you comment on the Hebrews passage that states the blood of goats and bulls do not take away sins only covers them. But to those who's sins are removed they may enter boldly into the Holiest.

#133 Allan, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  14. OldRegular

I had not intended to post here again but the discrepancy between your latest posts could not be ignored.

In your initial response you stated: However what we have listed in verses 3-6 is not those of faith but actaully is concerning those who have NOT remembered or were not of faith and the picture is a bleak and dismal one.

Above you state: I was showing that 3-6 is specifically about those who 'did not remember' their creator as they became old with age (which means no longer believing as they seemed to in their youth. Thus fell away).

There is a big difference between those who “ were not of faith” and ”those who 'did not remember'”.

It also appears from the above that you believe one can lose their salvation: ”Thus fell away” .

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

How about actually dealing with what I say rather than making up something I didn't say.

Do you believe that a person who is saved will ever fall away and no longer believe?
    Niether do I and I believe scripture does not either. Thus what it is stating that they were not of the faith because they did not continue in faith.

16. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

"Born again" was a bad choice of the word, what I meant was that until the "wages of sin" was paid, the "law" fulfilled, no body was resurrected to enter heaven.

Lazarus died but where did his soul go, Heaven, I don't think so, Jesus is the "Firstfruit/Firstborn" to be resurrected from death/grave to enter heaven.

Jesus prepared "The Way" (early church name) for us to "Follow".

17. OldRegular

The information I posted was copied directly from your posts. In my post #134 I show the discrepancy between your two statements. Surely you are honest enough to admit the discrepancy.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for explaining about "born again."

I think we disagree on the "Firstfruit" term, since I believe it means Jesus was the first to have a bodily resurrection.

19. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Unto "Eternal life", I agree, but several were "Resurrected" (back on earth, alive) prior to Jesus being resurrected, but they all died again, Jesus didn't.

20. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

"double Post"