1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JM is questioned about LS

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 6, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If Jesus made the Gospel hard...why did He say we need the faith of a child?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did He say narrow is the way and straight is the gate? Why did He say strive to enter?

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I own and have read all three works of Dr. MacArthur on the Lordship issue, but I cannot come to his defense, even as a fellow calvinist.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Because the path is narrow (by grace through faith only)
    See my signature. Grace is opposed to earning...not effort.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

TC, Thanks, you have turned back the clock. Truth is number one!!! I agree with you 100% and I'm not calvinist. I recall the day when we seemed to get along better with folks who we disagreed with their theology than it looks like we do today. Some of the best minds in the Church over the years haven't got this problem settled and I'm not seeing it getting done today.
    I went to a military school in HS and they had most of the pastors from churches near and around Chatham and Danville, Va. come and speak. Most seem to build the others up rather than rip them apart. All knew where they disagreed but out in public were more into getting the Gospel out than fighting over theology.

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

This Lordship Controversy issue has been interesting. I think its been good to the degree that it is bringing attention to an important doctrine: the nature of faith. What is still a question in my mind is why those who oppose JM in this think he is teaching a works-based salvation message/gospel. While I am still exploring the answer to that, I am beginning to think its because those in that camp have an unbiblical understanding of the nature of faith. Consider:

Question: Does the lordship view teach salvation by works?

No, absolutely not. God grants repentance (2 Tim. 2:25) when He changes the heart at the moment of regeneration (Titus 3:5-7), and makes the sinner into a new creature (2 Cor. 5:17). We are not saved by works (Eph. 2:8-9), but we are saved unto good works (Eph. 2:10). We are freed from the law of sin and death (Rom. 8:2) and made slaves to righteousness (Rom. 6:22). Works (meaning "acts of obedience") are not a precondition for salvation. But they do characterize the lives of those who have been genuinely saved (Rom. 8:5-9).
    http://www.gty.org/Resources/Issues&Answers/2545

The accusation, so it seems, is that Mac is teaching salvation by works. He emphatically states that acts of obedience are not a precondition for salvation but that they characterize the lives of those who have been truly saved. Let me be on record as saying..AMEN!

In another place it was taught that the thief on the cross proves Mac's position wrong. But listen to how Mac explains this because of someone who posed the question to him:

To this, again, I say AMEN!

One last snipet from JM.

Again I say, AMEN!!!