1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 12:32 - "all men"

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 12:32 "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.” ​

Who exactly is Jesus drawing to Himself in John 12:32, why is it an important question, and what is the impact on our theology?

First, I chose the Calvinism & Arminianism Debate forum because of the implications of the word "draw" in the John 12:32. This word typically leads to a discussion on election and predestination, so I did not want a moderator to move it mid-discussion.

Who is Jesus drawing to Himself? Is it "all men" as in all people everywhere? Is it a subset of all, as in all of a certain people group? If we look back a few verses we are provided an important clue:

John 12:19 19 So the Pharisees said to one another, “You see that you are not doing any good; look, the world has gone after Him.”

Jesus had just entered Jerusalem to a rousing welcome by the people of the city. The Pharisees were exasperated. They were secretly plotting to kill Jesus and even Lazarus who Jesus had raised from the dead (c.f. 12:10), but now the people were giving Jesus a royal welcome. But in their exasperation the Pharisees said something profound, they said that the "world has gone after Him". The word for "world" in v. 19 is kosmos. While kosmos can have a celestial meaning, in this case, it refers to all people without distinction. In the vernacular, the Pharisees were saying, "Look! Everyone and their brother is following Him!" The Pharisees did not know how right they were. A few verses later we read:

John 12:20-21 20 Now there were some Greeks among those who were going up to worship at the feast; 21 these then came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida of Galilee, and began to ask him, saying, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.”

Greeks were Gentiles. Greek Jews (Hellenistic Jews) were still looked down upon by other Jews because they were ethnic gentiles. A group of Greeks wanted to see Jesus. When Andrew and Phillip brought this request to Jesus, He said:

John 12:23-26 23 And Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. 26 If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him."

What did Jesus mean about "unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit"? This seems like a strange way to respond to a request for a meeting. Jesus sheds some light on this when He starts talking about His death in verses 27-36. Jesus refers to the type of death He will experience in v. 32 when He says, "And if I be lifted up". This refers to His crucifixion. The second part of Jesus' statement in v. 32 is, "will draw all men to Myself". Here is the connection to the Pharisees statement in v. 19, the Greeks request in v. 20, Jesus' cryptic response in v. 24, and His statement about "all men" in v. 32. Through His death on the cross, Jesus would draw both Jews and Gentiles to Himself. Andreas Kostenberger1 writes about this:

Jesus is not saying that all people (without distinction) will be drawn to Him with a free offer of the Gospel. That, indeed, would be the universalist position. The passage is not a proof-text for the Monergist view of predestination and election, at least not directly. A parallel section of scripture is Romans 11 with the grafting in of the Gentiles.

Why is this an important question? The Gospel is not just for a certain group of people. The Gospel does not know racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, or educational boundaries. It is the power of God for all who believe, to the Jew first and also to the Greek (Ro. 1:16). What is the impact on our theology? It should serve to open our eyes to the true mission field in front of us. The wheat is white for harvest and God has ordained the preaching of the Gospel as the means for reaping a harvest of souls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If there are any who are going to say...well in my bible all men means all men..

A follow up question...as Jesus was being lifted up on the cross....at that moment...how did he draw;

all men living around the world?

all men who had died already earlier that week?

The world of the ungodly that were destroyed by the flood?

Pharoahs army that perished in the Red Sea?

• Like Like x 1
  3. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

When we refuse to give the Bible the same respect we would a common newspaper by not using care when reading it, how can we expect to gain the truth we seek?

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friends,

I am a bit grieved at the contortions some of the more rabid Calvinistic thinkers become when approaching in particular the book of John. It isn’t like more appropriate Scriptures could be found in support of the views without using John 12:32.

1) This area shows a contention between the rulers theology of exclusion (that was taught to the Jews (still is) and accepted by even the apostles) and that missionary goal of Christ that is inclusion.

2) Throughout John’s writings, he is most precise in accurately reporting statements, even when the high priest in the exuberance says, “See, the world is going after him!” the Jewish custom of exclusion meant it as high scorn more then that of being dismayed. The Jews were and typically are racist and exclusionary in their customs and religion, even to this day.

Therefore, when the apostles brought news to the Lord that gentiles wanted to visit with Him, Jesus turns the rulers exclusionary views against them (and by extension the attitude of the apostles) by confirming the exuberance of the high priest statement was indeed the truth. He would indeed draw all when He was lifted up.

Here is the issue.

Some on the B.B. do not attend to keeping the context, but ripe a verse out and bluster something that isn’t foundationally supportable. Usually, imo, this is a fault of the non-Cal.

However, this (imo) is not exclusively a non-Cal problem. If the Cal. folks are honest, they too would need to readjust some thinking that the Dutch Reformers extended far too far.

It is time for all sides to seriously look upon the issues of confrontation to find agreement.

The context of John 12:32 obliges that “all” be all. Not a select few as the religious unrighteous rulers distained, but all inclusive of all people without distinction of class, social standing, education, culture ... all. Not a subset of the all, and not a subset of the subset.

Not a few of all kinds, but all of all kinds. There is no theological nor original language usage to warrant the all be in any manner limited.

Do not be found as the rulers who imposed inappropriate limits. Be as Christ willingly proclaiming the gospel is for all.

This is not teaching “universalism” and such a complaint is unworthy of biblical scholarship. It is taking the truth of the Scriptures with out prejudice or bias.

That all are NOT drawn by the Father, does not diminish the all in Christ’s statement.

Remember the little children who desired to come see Jesus?

Paul told his own testimony before Felix because Felix was drawn to find out more, if for no other reason then his curiosity.

All the Father draws will be saved. Of the all the son draws many will not, but those the Father has given the Son will.

The draw is real. All, of all cultures, races, classes, with no distinction. The draw is without distinction or limit. However, the draw of Christ is NOT to be seen as that draw of the Father.

Two last thoughts:

First Lastly, do not allow the agenda driven folks to drive theology.

Second Lastly, do not depart from “why” the Christ said what He did. It was not said to focus upon who would or would not be drawn, but upon the type of death He would die.
    33But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die.”
    “As much as is within you, be at peace with all men.” The “all” in that verse does not mean a select few with whom you agree.

#4 agedman, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one argues with the scope of the word all...it goes worldwide as the OP sets it forth.

Agedman.....who used the term select few?
    I did not see that term put forth in a positive way.

6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother,

It is OK. I actually meant the OP to a positive post. John 12:32 is not about Calvinism; it is about the Gospel being proclaimed to all people groups without distinction. That is why the Greeks were mentioned a few verses earlier. However, I knew the OP would invariably be seen as a Calvinist post, so I decided to save time and put it here. Now, if a moderator wants to move it to another forum, that is fine. I do think that some who disagree with definite atonement will have a different take on who the "all" are that our Lord spoke about. I actually agree with @agedman that there are other texts that make for a better argument for those who believe Jesus actually died for all (the elect and the non-elect). This passage is not about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will never agree BUT we can be in harmony concerning our fellow man and God's forgiveness.

A song sung in harmony can be the epitome of beauty.

Both C and A know the importance of the salvation of human beings (apart from salvific methodology).
    Both C and A have a history of participating in Great Awakening(s) with many souls added to the churches.
    Both C and A have participated in the Great Commission to preach the Gospel, the fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant to Jew and Gentile alike.

Three part harmony, this is what we can do in spite of our differing views.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank, I was heartened to see my church family join with local Christian relief agencies this Holiday season to feed and clothe those who are less blessed with the necessities of life. We partnered with others who do not share our theological distinctives. I have yet to meet a hungry child who is concerned about our intramural squabbles. Not that those squabbles do not deserve to be debated (they do), but there are times they can be put on hold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel as if someone will soon start singing, "Cume by Ya".

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You lead!

HankD

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok I’ll start but y’all gotta hold up your end.

Here is a sing along you might enjoy.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have officially entered crazy land. LOL

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I for got the vocal,exercises.

La,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,laaaaaa

Da,me, ne po, to, la, be, da, me, ne, po, to, laaaaaa,

14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a cessationist.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    W.A. Criswell's FBC Dallas Rainbow Youth Choir:

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    beautiful.

HankD

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK!!

HankD

18. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that real??? Do people really do this??? This is revolting.