1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John 3:16-18

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have stated over and over again world in John 3:16 is referring to God's love of the human race. But that does not somehow translate to every individual.

The whosoever is connected to those that believe, not every individual. This is clarified in the following verses and the rest of Scripture. The ones that do not (and will not) believe are already condemned. They are not the ones Christ came for. If they were going to believe (because they were drawn by the Father) Christ would have died for them as well. But they will not believe and they were never going to believe.

That is not inconsistent with the word world, nor is it making the word world mean anything different than the human race. But race does not equal individual.

That is why I asked @SavedByGrace if God saved the human race in the days of Noah. He allowed a few to be saved. The plan was always only for a few to be saved. The call was given to all but they were never going to believe. But God did save the human race then by only saving a few and He saves the whole human race now by only saving some, not all.

3. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep focusing on the word whosoever. But it is "whosoever BELIEVETH"

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're expounding Calvinist theology. We understand that. My question relates to the text, not the system of theology you're advancing. How, within the confines of John 3, do you prove that whosoever is not referring to any individual in the world of mankind?

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it is not just whosoever, it is whosoever believeth. It is qualified.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the answer to the question: "which individual gets saved, whosoever?"
    Answer: "No, whosoever believeth, not just whosoever".

But that's not the question here. The question, how, from John 3 alone, do you derive the sense that whosoever is not any one from the world of mankind?

7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't derive ANYTHING from John 3 alone. That is to mishandle the Word of God.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the problem with the Reformed understanding of the passage. If they equate the world to mean only the elect, and the whosoever also to the elect, then it is a problem for them as the Greek grammar here says that some of the world will not believe and be eternally lost.

Reformed supporters view the Bible through their theology and do not want to listen to what the Bible actually says

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you are misrepresenting the position even after you have been told this numerous times. Either now you are being willfully ignorant or purposefully deceitful.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although noble on the surface (and what believer would not agree with that statement?), it is in fact a confession that the interpretation limiting the sense of world and whosoever to only the pool of the elect, as Calvinistically understood, is not possible in John 3 - which was the OP's point to begin with.

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed1689 clearly doesn't understand the passage because he refuses to allow the Bible to tell him what the Lord says. Instead typical of their reasoning they keep on pushing their theories and sadly accept them even though they are against the Holy Bible

12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except, AGAIN, that is not what I or any Calvinist I know is saying. You keep lying about our position. I am saying that John 3:16 actually does not deal with the topic of who is covered by the cross directly. World means human race. Race does not mean individual. You keep twisting it. Either learn what we actually believe or you are a liar if you keep peddling the same false information after being correct. That is sin and you should repent.

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bearing false witness. Repent.

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly they are deceived by their warped theology, so much so that they can't see the truth of what the Bible Teaches

15. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly you keep lying about our position.

16. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think our points have been sufficiently made to any reader.

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your points are based on strawman arguments so while they may be sufficiently made, they are false.

18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Bible is a late 18th century edition of an original translation that was begun in roughly 1604 and finished in 1611 in England.

Grammatically ( using the language of its day ), I can find very little, if anything wrong with it when I compare it to the Greek of the New Testament or with the Hebrew of the Old Testament.
    Also, the Greek that I trust is the "Received Text" or "Textus Receptus":

John 3 Interlinear Bible
    https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/joh3.pdf

If you wish to review the usage of the words being translated, then I invite you to do so.

Lastly,
    I don't use Young's Literal ( which was translated using a collated Greek text of some 100 manuscripts and other bit and pieces, sometimes referred to as the Majority Text of Hodges and Farstad, I believe ), although I find it to be helpful on occasion.

If people wish to ridicule me for that, then that is their prerogative.
    I'll wish them well and God's blessings anyway.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed but you can't make people see when they are willfully blind. Jesus had the same problem with the Jews of His time

20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    The points are based on lies. Strawman arguments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.