1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 3:5 does not require (or even speak about) Baptism for Salvation (The Other Denom, Edition)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Reformed1689, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a deceptive post. I brought him up because it was said that all ECF held a unanimous viewpoint of the passage which was proven false.

2. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you agree context determines meaning? That is one point of a sound hermeneutic and to say this is talking about anything other than physical birth ignores context.

3. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    How? That's nonsense. Jesus is acknowledging that is the way he was ALREADY BORN and he needs another birth, by spirit.
    Context would argue otherwise.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nicodemus' question does not negate the fact that Jesus was talking about both physical birth and spiritual birth in order to address Nicodemus' incorrect theology.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    We aren't talking about the doctrine of Regeneraational Baptism. We are talking about the false claim you made that all ECF said John 3:5 was about water baptism. I gave you TWO DIRECT QUOTES from two different ECF that state otherwise.

6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where you fail. WE ARE starting with Nicodemus question. He thinks he must have a physical rebirth. Jesus is telling him, you already had a physical birth (water) but your rebirth must be of the spirit.

If the water was the second birth, the rebirth, then that would make the birth of the spirit a third birth. So according to your point, it necessitates that we are not born again once, but twice.

7. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I am starting to think Protestants view the Scriptures as the most complete set of coincidences ever recorded.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because that is what you want to think. Its what is in your heart.

9. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And all that means is that more than one person here is WRONG and doesn’t understand implicit Scriptural teaching.

Eisegesis is what YOU guys are doing – injecting YOUR Protestant doctrines on well-established Biblical and Christian norms.

10. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you do. You also decided to show up on a baptist web site and bash baptists. Does nothing for your credibility

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, no. We look at the text and see what it says, not what we want it to say.
    Since baptism is never mentioned or considered by either Nicodemus or by Jesus, we do not jump to baptism as the meaning of water in verse 5.
    Your approach is similar to someone reading the word "oxygen" and immediately declaring the author is speaking about methane.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I’m not here to “bash” Baptists or anybody else.

I’m here to expose lies about the Catholic Church and defend the truth of the Catholic position.
    That’s all.

14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post makes me think you don't even know what Eisegesis is....

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet you do

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name one lie that has been given about the Catholic Church... Also, you can't defend the truth of something that isn't true to begin with.

17. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure I do.

It’s when you inject your own agenda into what Scripture is teaching instead of gleaning what Scripture is clearly teaching, whether it’s explicit or implicit.

This is precisely what Protestantism at large has done with John 3:5 because unless you DO – you must agree with the Catholic position, which is unthinkable . . .

18. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Not true. I knew exactly what John 3:5 was talking about before I had ever heard the Catholic position. There is nothing in that passage that signals water baptism in any way shape or form unless you come at it looking for that with a preconceived idea that it must be talking about that because Baptism is what regenerates.

But, I ask again, how many times do you have to be born again? Once or twice?

19. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Verse 6 simply emphasizes Christ’s point in verse 5 – that He is NOT talking about physical birth. That He is talking about spiritual REBIRTH.

Nicodemus asked Him to explain how a man could be “reborn” and even stated that a man could not re-enter his mother’s womb. Jesus answered him by telling him that he needed to be reborn of water and SPIRIT – not flesh.

This is done in BAPTISM, as Scripture tells us again and again and again (Ezek. 36:25-27, Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Col. 2:9-12, Pet. 3:21).

20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please exegete the passage to show how this is talking about spiritual birth with water. Show us the work. Don't just regurgitate Catholic dogma. Show us how you arrive at that conclusion.

So is this one or two rebirths? Because this is talking about two different types of births. You have to be born of water. But you also have to be REBORN of spirit. Water is flesh which Jesus explains in verse 6. You need to show exegetical work to prove your point and that cannot include Catholic commentary or dogma.

And I have a question for you. Was the thief on the cross beside Christ saved?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.