1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John 6:65

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Van, Apr 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, this poster addresses me and not the topic.

1) The idea based on the context of John 6:65 is a person cannot come to faith in Christ, unless God allows him or her to believe. Thus if God has chosen to harden a person's heart, as depicted in Romans 11, then that person cannot come to Jesus.

Some of Christ's followers actually did not believe Christ was the Messiah, and Jesus knew who did not believe, whether able to or not, and who would betray Him and was not able to believe because He had been hardened to be the "betrayer."

Thus no one can come to faith in Christ unless:

(a) they have not hardened their hearts like soil #1 in Matthew 13, and

(b) they have not been hardened by God for His purpose as in Romans 11, and

(c) God has revealed the Gospel through His witnesses and hey were receptive and open to good news of the gospel. Recall that some receive the gospel with joy, but no deep commitment, and others also receive the gospel but do not make Christ the overriding priority of their lives. Thus no one can come to Christ unless it has been granted or allowed by our sovereign God.

2) So anyone not blocked from believing can believe in Christ.

3) No one said or suggested anyone needs "advanced faithfulness" to trust in Christ. However, if a person's faith is not deeply rooted, i.e. not superficial, or the person's faith does not make Christ their overriding priority, it is unlikely God will credit their "faith" as righteousness.

2. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now the ones to whom the Father gives to come to the Son as Per Jn 6:65

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Are the ones that it said to be the ones the Father giveth the Son in Jn 6:37

37, "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." You see, every one of those given to the Son by the Father SHALL come to him.

And the promise is they shall come to Him and they will never be cast out, or lose their Salvation. We have here Election, Irresistible Grace and perseverance or preservation/eternal security.

3. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I give you scripture to prove my points and you reject them, deny them.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, I see this discussion of John 6:65 is no longer consigned to oblivion God works in mysterious ways. Now this thread is found on our Home page as a Featured Thread.

#24 Van, Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I do not deny or reject any scripture, but I do interpret them contextually and my understanding differs from yours.

2) What was given in John 6:65 was to be allowed to either accept or reject the gospel. Anyone not blocked from believing can believe. That is why God spoke in parables (Matthew 13) so those who could choose to believe were blocked by the need for further explanation because the timing was not right.

3) What was given in John 6:37 was the individuals human spirit, meaning their spirit was transferred out of the realm of darkness into Christ's spiritual body. Obviously a very different action, one to allow something that might occur, and one to transfer someone into Christ. To allow human action is very different from God unilaterally causing an action.

4) The claim these verses present Irresistible Grace, i.e. the gift of faith, is without merit.

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not what Jesus says in John 6. No matter how much you regurgitate your assertion, you will not be expressing what Jesus says in John 6.
    Since you refuse to receive what Jesus tells you, you are by that virtue, teaching something God does not teach. Multiple people have shown you this and yet you present an incorrect teaching, over and over again. If the admins at the BB cared about theological truth, you would not be presenting your doctrines anymore. But, here we are, for a multitude of times, speaking about an issue that everyone here recognizes that you have lost the argument.
    Can you please give it a rest, or will you keep repeating a dead argument?

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Untruthful slap in the face.

Thread closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.