1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Calvin did not press the five points of Calvinism!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No thanks.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain yourself. You are being cryptic once more. And your poor sentence structure doesn't help matters either. ;-)

3. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

YIKES!!! It wouldn't do at all to resemble in any way those wascally (GASP!) ARMINIANS!!! :eek: :smilewinkgrin:

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yes, a disturbance in the Calvnistic Force cryptically expressed I detected.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity, and since you’re speaking of “true Calvinism,” how is the London Baptist Confession “true Calvinism” if it is credo-Baptistic - i.e., as compared to the Westminster Confession 1647? Is "true Calvinism" historic Calvinism or is it simply the DoG which would allow Baptists to be Calvinists? Do Historical Calvinists accept the Baptist form of Calvinism?

#25 JonC, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
  6. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

Can't speak for the Orthodox Presbyterians but the Dutch Reformed would consider any Baptist calling himself a Calvinist utterly incorrect. This comes as Baptists usually define their Calvinism on the Canons of Dort. While the DR look to it and the other historic Reformed confessions.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup:yes...it should be very clear by now:wavey:

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are historic reasons for that. In our day however the real reason for the objection is they do not like how RB"s hold to believers baptism and many of the biblical themes they do, but have a updated view of the covenants.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::applause::wavey:

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes since as Calvinism predates Dort. If I remember correctly, Calvin preferred "Reformed," but either way it seems that "Calvinism" is not necessarily Calvinism. I've been told that here we refer to "Calvinism" as the DoG (which I can accept in this forum - BUT perhaps it is not acceptable outside of our context). It is curious that so much of Reformed thought is rejected by the Reformed Baptists...I wonder if there is a better term...I guess "Reformed Baptist" could work...

But you are correct - most of Reformed faith would reject "Reformed Baptists" as being Reformed or Calvinists. They are "Reformed" only in a Baptist context.

#30 JonC, Apr 10, 2014
  11. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

I was only trying to answer JonC's question no more no less.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your answer was fine. I like labels and using them. Over time I have noticed however that some want to claim ownership for the labels as if the labels were inspired as scripture was.

A Reformed Baptist did not have to "reform" from the RC church. Many want to suggest that the term "reformed" has to mean exactly what the Christian reformed say it means...or the Presbyterians.....Dutch reformed, etc.

In our day the term RB.....means they identify with Christians who hold to reformed teaching.....on most issues. Those who are RB.....reserve the right to go where they see scripture go....even if Calvin, and Knox, and others did not see the scripture that way.

With any Christian teacher or trusted guide.....their writings were not inspired...so if they trigger thoughts that make a person study things out a bit more they have done their job.

Those who post against these writings or sermons usually go on to share ignorance of truth as they despise the efforts of godly men.

read through the posts of those who mock and ridicule such teaching and you quickly see a falling away from historic orthodox teaching...and soon ignorant posts are offered...suggesting God is or could possibly be the "author of sin" or that Jesus could have sinned...or had sinful flesh...all manner of vile posting.

Then they mock a quote or link from a proven God given teacher just because he is human:thumbsup: We see it on display here quite often.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incorrect. Much of the content of the Reformed confessions such as the Belgic Confession and Heidelberg as well as the WCF are in substantial agreement with the London Confession of 1689.
    Gatekeepers like R.Scott Clark would say we are not allowed in their club. ;-)

But we (Reformed,Calvinistic or Particular Baptists) beg to differ. We are at one with them soteriologically.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists? No. Most Baptists want to have nothing to do with the Canons of Dort. Calvinistic or Reformed Baptists don't narrowly define their Calvinism along the lines of the Canons of Dort alone. Our Calvinism is much broader and deeper than that. It's not a one-dimensional thing. It's multifaceted.
    See my comments in my prior post.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attended the Philadelphia Conference for Reformed Theology several times in the late 80's and early 90's. It wasn't uncommon for an Alistair Begg to be along the side of Michael Horton. Today Presbyterians such as Sproul, and Duncan are standing with MacArthur,Piper and Dever.

Most Presbyterians recognize Gill and Spurgeon as being strongly Reformed.

Timothy George,D.A. Carson,James White and other Baptists are seen as Reformed spokesmen. I don't think too many Presbyterians are complaining about their doctrine. The commonalities outweigh the differences quite a bit.

16. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

My comment addressed why the Dutch Reformed think Baptists can't properly call themselves Reformed. I didn't say they were correct in their opinion. And even if they don't agree with them, Baptists do tend to think of Calvinism (rightly or wrongly) in terms of the 5 Canons of Dort.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that, soteriologically speaking, Reformed Baptists are Reformed (at least to an extent…there is still a covenantal issue that is present in Calvinism, expressed in infant baptism, but absent in Reformed Baptist soteriology). It does seem to me that to be Baptist and Reformed…well, reforms the Reformed view to an extent. I’d say that it corrects Calvinism/Reformed faith to bring it to a more biblical standpoint. But I do realize that we are speaking of soteriology and not Calvinism as an entire theological system. This is probably most obvious when examining the Westminster Confession of 1643 with the London Baptist Confession.

What, prior to Dort and TULIP, would you say made Calvinism distinctive? Or is it even fair to go back so far where Calvinism and Baptist theology were considered opposing theologies?

#37 JonC, Apr 10, 2014
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC

This while at face value is true...in practice....there is almost no difference from what I can see...at all.

No one wants to say it....but quite frankly...reformed, sovereign grace, or particular Baptists believe they see it in the Apostolic church. They believe it has been rescued by the reformers and these truths were put back in place.

the main difference is what constitutes a church? believers only? or believers and their children as in the Ot model? this also leads into are their unsaved persons in the Covenant?

Their were always those who welcomed the teaching,and those who opposed it. it just did not become as clear initially.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then don't read it....problem solved

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can see almost no difference at all between the Calvinism of the Reformation and Reformed Baptist theology?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.