1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Calvin said...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Mar 7, 2013.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

The meaning of the Good Samaritan for Calvin was, instead, that "compassion, which an enemy showed to a Jew, demonstrates that the guidance and teaching of nature are sufficient to show that man was created for the sake of man. Hence it is inferred that there is a mutual obligation between all men." In other writings, Calvin pointed out that people are not born merely for themselves, but rather "mankind is knit together with a holy knot ... we must not live for ourselves, but for our neighbors.

I got this off of Wikipedia a while ago I thought I should post it again to see this man in another light that we should see from him also

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I know there have been some such satirical sites, this site, unless their "disclaimer" is buried deeply somewhere on their site, appears to be "legit".

3. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Yeah I couldn't fin it either... I was hoping I was just going blind...:BangHead:

4. Herald

Herald New Member

Give 'em a hand folks. He'll be here all week.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Westboro Baptists thing.......yea, big time cheap shot......but you knew that & yet you still took it. Says allot for your character.......BTW, what's your name again?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I am not a liar, but am quite good at exposing those that have more baloney than knowledge. Any fruitcake knows that has been a running joke for years, and any simple student of theological history knows Calvin would have never made such a statement. No, I am not a liar, but you are nothing but smoke and mirrors. If it were not condemned in Scripture, I would call you a fool.

#26 saturneptune, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  7. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

"Re: Matthew 13:39--“This passage has been improperly abused by the Anabaptists, and by others like them, to take from the Church the power of the sword.” (p. 122; and thus Calvin defends the Church’s supposed right of capital “persecution of dissent” which he actively employed against Servetus and numerous Anabaptists."

I believe the above is from Doug Kutilek, As I See I, Volume 16, Number 3, March 2013

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your posts of late serve liberals more than sound doctrine and leave me no reason to think you wouldn't seriously postulate such a thing.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There has never been one post of mine that serves liberals. If I did, it least it would be well thought out. Yours are neither liberal or conservative, but basically inchoherent.

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Aaron,

I don't doubt that people in the past have believed the earth to be flat. However, there is nothing in Scripture that provides a basis for such a belief.

There is no reason that primitive man would not believe the earth to be flat. There is no reason that the Christians of the dark ages would not believe the earth to be flat, but not on the basis of Scripture since the Bible was kept from them by the RCC.

An illustration:

I was raised in the mountains. As a boy I had no idea there could be local rain squalls because it rained as far as I could see. When I went into the Navy I could see a couple of things, rain squalls all around and from the crows nest a slight curvature of the earth. [Not that I ever believed the earth was flat.] Now that I live in the flat lands of SC I can see rain squalls all around while my grass is parched!

11. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

From what I've read I think someone could make a case based on scripture that the earth is not only flat but that it also does not 'move' and also that the cosmos is geocentric.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What is your point?

Some of the stupidest things ever spoken have come from the lips of some of the most brilliant men who ever lived.

Anyone who studies history knows this pops up often- that one person can be so unbelievably brilliant in one area and so invincibly stupid in others.

His brilliance can be profound on one issue and be very lacking in another facet of the same issue.

This is called being human.

And this quote needs to be placed in context. To the most devout of Christians in Calvin's day, heliocentricity was an assault upon the faith once handed down from the Apostles.

It puts me in mind of young earth creationists today.

One day they will be seen as absolute idiots. One day it will be proven, not just scientifically, but exegetically that the idea that the earth is six to eight thousand years old is utterly ridiculous.

But those who see these YEC as idiots will be totally wrong in many cases. It will simply be that they were VERY brilliant in many theological matters but blinded by an emotional attachment to a tradition they held as essential in this matter.

John Calvin represented in this statement the feelings of the VAST majority of Christians- both Calvinist and non-calvinist in his day.

So what is the point you are trying to make with this quote?

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What is your point?

Some of the stupidest things ever spoken have come from the lips of some of the most brilliant men who ever lived.

Anyone who studies history knows this pops up often- that one person can be so unbelievably brilliant in one area and so invincibly stupid in others.

His brilliance can be profound on one issue and be very lacking in another facet of the same issue.

This is called being human.

And this quote needs to be placed in context. To the most devout of Christians in Calvin's day, heliocentricity was an assault upon the faith once handed down from the Apostles.

It puts me in mind of young earth creationists today.

One day they will be seen as absolute idiots. One day it will be proven, not just scientifically, but exegetically that the idea that the earth is six to eight thousand years old is utterly ridiculous.

But those who see these YEC as idiots will be totally wrong in many cases. It will simply be that they were VERY brilliant in many theological matters but blinded by an emotional attachment to a tradition they held as essential in this matter.

John Calvin represented in this statement the feelings of the VAST majority of Christians- both Calvinist and non-calvinist in his day.

So what is the point you are trying to make with this quote?

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You really need a hobby.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why do you say that?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont you have a chicken farm Luke? Aint that a hobby? BTW, what breed do you have.... we got RD Island Reds & Comets (Hybrids) & Ban-tum White Silkies (Chinese Breed).

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why do I need a hobby?

Golden Buff Orpingtons, Australorpes, Jersey Giants and I too have some white and black silkies.

It's not technically a "farm" though. I have about 50 chickens.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke he said it was a spoof post a while back.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

A "spoof post" ?

pardon my ignorance. what is that?:confused:

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After Aaron fell for it too, SN said "Any fruitcake knows that [traveling to the sun at night] has been a running joke for years", post 26