1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John McCain's first wife

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Matt Black, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was surprised to learn the other day that Cindy McCain is the 2nd wife of Senator McCain and that he had abandoned and divorced his first wife after she had been injured in a car accident. How does this sit with those of you of a more conservative Christian tendency who would normally vote for the Republican candidate in a Presidential election; are you comfortable voting for a divorcee who deserted his wife to marry another woman?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senator McCain was actually having an affair with Cindy while he was still married to his first wife.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes him a sinner just like you and me.If we can't vote for sinners, we can't vote at all.

Being a sinner and an advocate for sin, like, Obama, are entirely different.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yep, it's those Republican "family values" at work. The McCainites pilloried President Clinton over an affair, but it's okay if it is one of their own.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I would have a problem with this part of his life if he were a candidate for Pastor of a Church. I would fight his nomination tooth and nail. Being a candidate for POTUS his requirements for office are not so narrowly defined in the Constitution. I'd like to have a President that lives like I do, it is not always possible.
    That is the only requirement for running for POTUS.

The original intent of the Constitution was that the States were to elect the President without a popular vote and they, not the parties (Republican, Democratic or whom ever).

This clause was repealed by the 12th Amendment. If we elected Presidents this way today (without a popular vote) just think of the money saved. The States legislatures select the candidates then vote by Electoral College with the ballots approved and counted by the US Senate.

Seems to me that this would serve us much better than the mess we have today. Megalomania would not prevail (and I think that is what we have in both candidates today). You have a true Executive being chosen to run this great nation, very much like members of corporate boards choosing a CEO.

Our present system of selecting a President through Partisan Parties is just not working. I say, Lets bring back the US Constitution and Article. II. Section 1 and it's original intent.

Mel

#5 Palatka51, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008
  6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Did it stop him from attaining office? I think he won with 45% of the vote. Soundly thrashing a sitting President, Bush 41.
    Then his vulgarities with Lewinsky while in office betrayed his public trust. Can you just imagine the CEO of a corporation doing such with a secretary? The EEOC would be on that whole business like white on rice.

7. Magnetic Poles

The Lewinsky affair got him impeached. As for CEOs and Secretaries, it happens all the time. It isn't sexual harrassment until someone complains about it. The key work in the law is "unwelcome".

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

It's the double standards that annoy me, as others have pointed out: either it wasn't OK for Bill to fool around with Monica, in which case it wasn't OK for John to fool around with Cindy either, or it's OK for both.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong.

He was impeached for committing perjury on an unrelated matter.

Perjury is a felony. Being divorced or having an affair aren't against the law.

10. Magnetic Poles

You are correct, it was the allegations of Paula Jones on another sexual affair that he supposedly perjered himself over. Bottom line, it was about an alleged sexual indiscretion, something that was used by the GOP for political purposes. If they impeached Clinton over lying about a sexual matter, they should impeach Bush over lying us into a war that has killed tens of thousands.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faulty logic.

Clinton was impeached for committing perjury. What he lied about is immaterial except in the mind of his apologists.

Bush has not committed perjury or any other felony. Get over it.

12. Magnetic Poles

Only because no one has yet to put him under oath. He refused to testify under oath, and should be subpoenaed to do so. I don't dismiss the needless deaths of human beings quite as easily as you do, so no, I will not get over it.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carpro
    Bush has not committed perjury or any other felony. Get over it.

My statement stands.

Don't let your hate for Bush affect your judgement.

McCain has broken no law that I know of. If you know different, please share it with us.

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The issue with Bill Clinton was that he lied under oath in a court of law (a crime).

O, and please don't give me the worn out excuse that he only lied about sex. It does not matter what he lied about, he lied under oath. He could have lied about what time he picked his nose, it is still lying under oath. Bill Clinton is an adulterer and a liar, we all know that (Rev 21:8). I honestly doubt McCain is much better. We should NEVER defend sin.

#14 Martin, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008
  15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Its not ok for either. Both political parties are guilty of the double standard in almost any area you can think of. In recent history we have had very few moral, much less Christian, Presidents. Most of our recent Presidents have been less than good examples of family values and morals. That is just a fact that we have to live with in this country. We keep electing the same people over and over again and they keep up their immoral lifestyles.

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Agreed. Same here on this side of the Pond. So where are the conservative Christians who were howling about Clinton's dubious morals some ten years ago? Why is there no similar outcry about McCain?

17. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

This story has already made the rounds here.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What law has McCain broken?

Has he defiled the Oval office by having sexual favors performed by an intern while at work?

The differences are so obvious, it's hard to understand why you don't see them.

Well...not really.;)

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

IIRC, the conservatives were all over Clinton for having an affair. Well, that's exactly what McCain did too. What's the difference between one affair and another?

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am no McCain supporter. I will not vote for him. But it is obvious the difference here. Time itself separates him from Bill. Bill did it while in office (literally). McCain (while President) did not lie under oath. I know libs would like to ignore that fact but it is the whole reason he was impeached and disbarred. The two situations are night and day.