1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John R. Rice and IFB Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Apr 13, 2013.

1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Don't think so. I have one of the Jack hyles books in question (soft copy) Enemies of Soul Winning Where Hyles specifically says that repentance is only turning from unbelief to belief. I've read an evagelism book by Hutson, "Winning Souls and Getting Them Down the Aisle", which is basically a how to manual for sales-man style manipulation and easy believism.

I generally agree with this. But there is also a repentance of sin, not just your beliefs about what's getting you to Heaven.

Thanks

:thumbsup: Like I said, John Rice seems to have been a very solid, godly preacher. I hope you were able to learn much from him.

I greatly disagree that these men have done any such thing. Particularly the ones I bolded above. What they did more than anyting is preach a false assurance of salvation and make people almost "resistant" to genuine evangelism.

And that is a fruit of their methodology. It is not a shame in ANY SENSE of the word that you haven't "won someone to Christ" (what a ludicrous phrase) if you have faithfully preached the gospel! The Hyles/Hatch/Hutson methodology is entirely numbers focused and creates much pride in the "successful soul-winners" and shame in those that are less "successful."
    We are called to be faithful witnesses and if you have done that then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Congrats.

That's just a term I use to describe the high level of separation that many IFB churches follow. (Let me say that I think separation is GOOD and Biblical, but must be done correctly) Cloud in particular pushes really high levels of separatism, he only deals with IFB churches and only those he agrees with 100%. For example he refuses to fellowship with any IFB that uses any music published since 1960 (or something like that).

Thankfully he is on the "more correct side" compared to Hyles and Co.

#41 RLBosley, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks!

So he started out teaching/preaching well, but ended up poorly then?

What made him become fervently KJVO?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received this email from John of Japan today:
    "Thanks for the heads up. JRR was most certainly not KJO, as anyone knows who knew him or has read his writings on Bibliology."

6. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bosley....I usually find your posts to be informed, intelligent, and relevant and worth consideration....but if I may:
    Quite frankly...this post of yours seems to have come "full-circle"... You sound MORE like Jack Hyles in this post than he himself does. You are getting quite "fundamentalist" in your approach.

You are OBVIOUSLY EXTREMELY intelligent.....but..............you are also quite young.
    I generally find you to be quite informative....but you may be over-stepping somewhat on this thread...re-think a little here.

Gregory Perry....is quoting men like "de Haan"...as in "M.R. de Haan"....I promise you...he isn't then quoting a bunch of washed-up hacks.....

I don't think you know who M.R. deHaan is....don't be so VERY quick...learn from older men like Gregory Perry...
    Easy fellow: You ARE smart.......:type: just don't take your own talent TOO far. Slow down some :jesus:
    I appreciate your contributions on this board...God Bless :)

#46 HeirofSalvation, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  7. JimmyH

JimmyH New Member

I echo the sentiments expressed by my Christian brother.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Well I am a fundamentalist at heart, as in believing in the fundamentals of the faith. ;)

And I get what you're saying - I was probably being a bit rough in what I said however men like Hyles, and Hatch infuriate me and it's hard to withhold. I admit I haven't heard of De Haan before, so I'll check him out.

Thanks for the encouragement and the admonition, I really appreciate it.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. And welcome to the BB. I hope you have a blessed experience here. I've learned a lot and been greatly blessed by many. :wavey:

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    think the De hanns founded Our daily bread/radio Bible Class/School here in Michigan, so would be "good' fundamentalists!

#50 Yeshua1, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Just read his book "Our God-breathed Book - the Bible" - that point is made perfectly clear.

Most of the old-time fundamentalists - Lee Roberson, R.G. Lee, Jack Hudson, and others whose names I have forgotten - were NOT KJVO although that may have been the only version that they used. Dr. Roberson was known to expel or at least put students on suspension that tried to bring that divisive teaching into TTU. He spoke against it many times.