1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JOHN THE PRESBYTERIAN ------------ WHAT DID HE DO WITH THE WATER?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Smoky, Apr 14, 2003.

1. SolaScriptura in 2003

What does the word "planted" mean, O great changer of definitions?

2. Smoky

Smoky Member

Planted: sumphutos, soom'-foo-tos; from Greek 4862 (sun) and a derivative of Greek 5453 (phuo); grown along with (connate), i.e. (figurative) closely united to :- planted together.

Romans 6:5-6 (ESV)
    For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. [6] We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

3. Frank

Frank New Member

One being Baptized is a symbol. It is an essential symbol to be saved. God used many symbols to SAVE. In Numbers 21:8,9 the Bible says, And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
    9  And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
    Jesus used the parallel of the cross as a symbol of our being saved through sacrifice of himself. The Bible says in John 12:32, And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
    33  This he said, signifying what death he should die. I John 3:14, 15 the Bible says,And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    15  That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    The death of Christ on the cross was a symbolic of our forgiveness through his personal sacrifice. Jesus uses Numbers 21:8,9 to make this point. The parallel is clear. The snake on the pole represented, it symbolized ,God's power to save Israel from death. The cross of Christ represents God's power to save us today. Both are essential symbols.

[ April 24, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]