1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Wesley's Deceit

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Rippon, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is for the benefit of HP on the thread "Calvinism is the best system".

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right!

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

If you doubt Wesley would have done this, I submit to you what he did to John Gill.

"Mr. Wesley having declared himself the author of the Serious Thoughts upon the Perseverance of the Saints, to which I lately returned an answer; has been pleased to shift the controversy from perseverance to predestination: contenting himself with some low, mean and impertinent exceptions to a part of what I have written on the subject of perseverance; not attempting to answer any one argument advanced by me in vindication of it; and yet he has the assurance in the public papers, to call this miserable piece of his, chiefly written on another subject, A full answer to Dr. Gill’s pamphlet on perseverance; any other man but Mr. Wesley would, upon reflection, be covered with shame and confusion; though to give him his due, in his great modesty, he has left out the word full in some after-papers; as being conscious to himself, or it may be, some of his friends pointed it to him, that it was an imposition on the public, and tended greatly to expose himself and his cause since he has left me in tile full possession of all my arguments; which I will not say are unanswerable, though I think they are; and it looks as if Mr. Wesley thought so too, seeing he has not attempted to answer one of them; yet this I may say, that as yet they are not answered at all, and much less is a full answer given unto them.

And now, though I might be very well excused following him in this wild pursuit on the subject of predestination; since he has not meddled with my argument from it for the saints perseverance; since he has not pursued that subject, as his title promises; and since throughout the whole he does not argue, only harangue upon it; and that only a part of it, reprobation, which he thought would best serve his purpose; yet for the sake of weak and honest minds, lest through his subtlety, they should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ; I shall endeavour to state the doctrine of predestination, and set it in a true light according to the Scriptures, with the proofs of it from thence; and take notice of the principal objections raised by Mr. Wesley in his harangue on that part of it which respects reprobation; and then close this treatise with a reply to his trifling exceptions to what I have written on the subject of the saints perseverance."

Wesley had the gaul to call his pamplet a full answer to Gill's pamplet on perserverance, but didn't address any of his points. Gill called him on it, and then laid out the doctrine of predestination.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wesley was not an Arminian

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's totally false. He even called his regular publication the Arminian Magazine.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Show me...

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Google it for yourself. It's common knowledge. He embraced the name Arminian as identifying his beliefs. Some on the BB are honest enough to do the same.

You don't know Church History too well. Did you know that George Whitefield was a Calvinist? Shocking!

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I did. The only thing I could find was the "Arminian Magazine" which began being published by the "Fundamental Wesleyan Society" in 1979. I found nothing that Wesley was willing to use such ungodly designations.

Nothing honest about using designations that are clearly against scripture. Holding on to doctrines named after men is a division Paul condemned.

You haven't proven your claim that Wesley held to unbiblical titles. But hyper- intellectuals who hang out in the reformed arena need such titles. It gives them a feeling of superiority. Childish.