1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John's gospel uses the Greek word translated world to mean humanity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few examples...
    John 1:10, He was in human society, and humanity came into being through Him, and humanity did not acknowledge Him.
    John 1:29 The next day he *saw Jesus coming to him, and *said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of humanity.
    John 3:16 God loved humanity in this way, He gave His uniquely divine Son so that everyone believing into Him would not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 6:33 For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven and gives life to humankind.
    John 6:51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats from this bread, he will live forever; and the bread which I will give for the life of humankind also is My flesh.”
    John 8:26 “I have many things to say and to judge regarding you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I say to humanity.
    John 12:47 “If anyone hears My teachings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge humanity, but to save humanity.
    John 13:1 Now before the Feast of the Passover, Jesus, knowing that His hour had come that He would depart from this human society to the Father, having loved His own who were in human society, He loved them to the end.
    John14:31 but so that humanity may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let’s go from here.
    John 16:28 “I came forth from the Father and have come into human society: again, I am leaving human society and going to the Father.”
    John 17:6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of humanity; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word.
    John 17:21 that they may all be united; just as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that humanity may believe that You sent Me.
    1 John 2:15-17 Do not love human society nor the things of human society. If anyone loves human society,
    the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in human society, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from humanity. Fallen human society is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so what? I am sure that everyone already knows this! :Whistling And WHY use "humanity" in some places, and "human kind"in others? The later is fine in all places.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does " kosmos" mean?

Is it always humankind?

Why would Christ declare that if the people didn't praise Him the very rocks would take up praises?

Isn't it very possible that there is far more at stake then mere humanity?

Isn't it possible that the whole ordered system of creation is also in view?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He somehow thinks this punches a death blow to Calvinism. That is all this is. Nothing to see here, move along.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets look at John 3:16-18

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God didn’t send his Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through him. He who believes in him is not judged. He who doesn’t believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God"

In this passage, κοσμος is used 4 times.

In the first use, is clear to those who don't look at this with their theological bias, that it means, "the entire human race", as John Calvin understood it. And the Greek lexicons by Thayer; Arndt & Gingrich; J Parkhurst; E Robinson; H Cremer; G Kittel; and the Greek scholars, A T Robertson; M Vincent. etc, etc.

Contextually this meaning will apply to the other uses as well. As Jesus Christ was sent into the "world of the human race", as part of them. This same "human race" God desires to save, IF they were to REPENT and BELIEVE.

For those who say that κοσμος refers to only the "elect", then why would John say "whosoever believes", which clearly means that some will not believe, which is clear from verse 18, that there are those who will not believe. All of the elect WILL believe, according to this theology! Further, in verse 17 John says, "that the world might be saved through him", where the Greek σωθῇ (MIGHT be saved), is in the subjunctive mood, denoting that their salvation is dependant on their believing. This is nonsense if this only applies to the "elect", as they WILL believe, as it is taught by some, that God has already "gifted" them this saving faith!

6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    You started out so well. Saving the human race does not require all individuals. Consider Noah.

#6 Reformed1689, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you mean started out?

The context here demands the entire human race, every individual, otherwise it is nonsensical!

8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it really doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 3:16-18

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To address the nuance of scripture.

11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly, it does not necessitate individuals.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone say "Kosmos" always refers to one thing? Nope.
    Isn't it possible that God created humanity to choose for Himself His chosen people?

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it's called the Elect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at issue. But when were the Elect chosen? Before they were once not a people before they were individually created? Nope. They were chosen after they had existed as not a people, not having been chosen. Therefore the argument offered by Calvinists is unbiblical.

#14 Van, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    dude, your problem is simply this. IF you were to admit that it does include every single human being, as Calvin says, "everyone without exception", then your "Calvinism" falls! You cannot have this, so you keep on with your continued strawman arguments :eek:

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, I really don't know why you write these articles about "Greek", when it is very clear from what you post on BB, that you know next to NOTHING about the Greek language??? :eek:

17. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you suggesting that KOSMOS in John 3:16 is the ELECT?

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Endless personal attacks to hide the fact the gospel of John uses "kosmos" to refer to humanity, humankind, and human society.

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope

20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were chosen before the foundation of the world. Biblical.

Your argument is that they are chosen when they put their faith in Christ correct? That is unbiblical. That means it has nothing to do with God and everything to do with man. In other words, man chooses himself.

• Winner Winner x 1