1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph's coat?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BM, Oct 25, 2007.

1. BM

BM New Member

Do you think Josephs coat in Gen. 37 was really many different colors? I had read some where that it was white where most coats in those days were a darker color. I would like to do a story on Joseph for my youth at church and wanted to make sure I get it right!

Thanks for your help **Becky**

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I can only go by what scripture says which is his coat had many colors. I've never seen that point argued. We do know Jacob was the favored and loved Son of Israel (Jacob) which was why the coat was given to him. Plain white???

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Different Bible versions will give slightly different descriptions:
    • many colors
    • richly ornate
    • heavily embroidered
    • long sleeved
    • highly decorative
    I've never seen any Bible version or any commentary that claimed the coat was all white.

I believe that the coat was ornate in some way. Pieces of different colors (not bright and loud) sewn together or with some type of special insignia sewn on the sleeves or the hem or waistband.

It was just a coat that signified by its ornateness that Joseph was the favored son and, in Jacob's eyes, was more important than the other brothers.

And this insulted the other brothers who were older and should have been in authority over Joseph. Especially after their father had not done anything to avenge his daughter, Dinah's rape.

All Jacob seemed to care about was that his son's hotheaded attack on her rapist's people was that his name was tarnished. He didn't seem to care that, as the brothers said, "Our sister was treated as a whore."

So the coat of many colors or the coat of rich ornateness just added fuel to the fire and was the last nail in the coffin that solidifed Jacob's intense partiality to Joseph.

Yet, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Jacob had been a favored child, himself. So had Isaac.

Giving Joseph the coat was an unwise move on Jacob's part.

Giving their hearts over to jealously was an unwise move on the brother's part.

Yet, despite the foolishness of mankind, God moved his plan right along......

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While the KJV says of Joseph's coat that it was of many colors, some say that it meant a coat of many ornaments.

The Bible account said that the brothers of Joseph became extremely jealous AFTER they saw that Joseph was gifted this coat (Genesis 37:3-4).

Apparently, it signified favor, or a preference.

Nothing much to add to that.

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I believe it was one coat...many colors. However some say it could read many coats, many colors.

The point is, he was set apart from the others, as in the showing of grace. There are many stories to be seen here.

As believers our Heavenly Father sets us apart from the world and blesses us, just as Joseph's father did with Joseph's brothers. Eph 1.

Also, we do not look like the world, as Joseph did not look as his brothers.

Also Joseph was saved from a pit, with his brothers still near, he could not help himself by getting out of that pit. Just as we cannot save ourself. We too are lost in the pit of sin.

The pit was empty...just as all men without God are left with a empty feeling.

The pit was without water. Christ says He is the Water of Life (John 4:1-15)

God sent Ishmeelites as a way out of the pit. God sent Christ to save sinners.

Joseph was sold for silver. Christ was sold for pieces of silver.

NOW THIS IS THE BEST PART OF THE STORY.

Why would God allow this to happen to one He loves? Well...God was behind it all along.

Look in chapter 45.

Now that is a story. :)

#5 Jarthur001, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It was a coat with long sleeves. This type of coat was given to the appointed heir of the family. Joseph was obviously not supposed to be the heir, not being the firstborn, which is why this gift caused so much consternation among his brothers.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I read one writer who said Joseph's coat was a symbol not only of Jacob's favoritism, but also of Joseph's authority over his brothers. The writer, whose name I can't remember, says that was what the brothers resented most--a young whippersnapper being given authority over them.

Whether this story is valid or not, consider the irony. Jacob himself was his mother's favorite, and Esau was Isaac's. You'd think Jacob would have learned a lesson from that experience. And Abraham favored Isaac over Ishmael. Can you say dysfunctional families?

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Amazing how that happens isn't it?!:applause:

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I found what I had written in several places, even an SDA children's story of Joseph! (Now THAT surprised me - grin.) I don't endorse all the denominations or sources where you'll find this information, but it's fairly common knowledge among those who study ancient Eastern customs that the coat/shirt of long sleeves was a symbol that denoted the recipient as the heir.

http://www.ensignmessage.com/archives/Tellme.html

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good stufff. I always appreciate those ANE customs and how they illuminate our understanding of Scripture. :thumbs: