1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jr Deacon /Assistants/Yokefellow

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by puros_bran, Jan 5, 2009.

1. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church's recent call for deacons and the way it has been handled has brought a question to my mind.

There have been three chosen but they will be considered Yokefellows , Deacon Assistants, Jr Deacons , whatever term gets stuck on them, until September.

I'd never heard of it until moving to North Central Kentucky... down in the South East corner of the state you either are or are not a deacon, none of this sorta kinda maybe stuff... Which way of handling it is more in line with the consensus?

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In extreme western KY, never heard the terms. You are either a deacon or not.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

What will happen to those folks between now and September? Training, orientation?
    Is it a probationary period?

4. billreber

billreber New Member

I have heard the term "yokefellow" before, but it was used for men who were biblically disqualified to be deacons, who the church needed and wanted to be helpers for the deacons. (One was divorced, as an example).

I have been ordained as a deacon for several years, but I still remember that I went through a year's training before the church ordained me. During this time, I was referred to as a "deacon in training". I later also served as a deacon trainer, and the men I was training were "deacons in training". BTW, some of those men dropped out of the training program when they felt God was NOT calling them to be deacons. This is much better than simply selecting men and ordaining them.

What your church calls the men breing trained to be deacons really does not matter. What DOES matter is whether "the church" chose them, or God chose them. I am praying that your church is doing a deacon training program, which will help both the men and the church discern this vital point.

May God bless!

Bill :godisgood:

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It seems to me that too many new deacons enter service with a mistaken idea of what a deacon's role is. They assume that it is to "run the church."

Training for a period of time could easily nip that idea in the bud.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm in south central Ky and have never heard of it either.
    But I have a deacon question, since this is a deacon thread, hope it's alright.
    How long is a man deacon in your churches? I mean is there a time limit?
    In our new church there is apparently a set time for deacons. I have no idea how long or why. In our old church once a deacon always a deacon unless you left, or chose not to be a deacon any longer. Which meant there were quite a few older men(80's, 90's) who were inactive deacons, but still deacons.

7. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be clear: I will be one of the Yokefellow/Jr deacon/ deacon assistants...

As for the calling: I don't know how it came about, other than the fact we only have one deacon.. The others have went on to the Lord or have become disabled. I prayed,asked for prayer, spent time in the word, and examined 'historic' deacon-ing... I believe I am following Gods will in this.

My definition of the Office of Deacon: A high calling to a low position, a servant of the congregations needs, a helper of the pastor. He must be involved in Local Missions, able to teach and preach (we all as Christians should be able to preach and teach the gospel) . He must be a peace keeper, of high character, able to discern...
    Since I said what I think they are, let me add what I think they aren't.
    I am of the opinion (and I am quite sure my church is in agreement) that the ideal of Deacons as church boss's unbiblical. Deacons are not overseers, a board of directors, etc. I'm not 100% sure where that notion came from but its not in my bible.

From now until September: I am not real sure. I assume it is probationary for the church and the yokefellow. I know that it will be expected to attend deacon meetings, and begin learning the 'ropes'.. A time of 'pre-ministry' would probably be a good way to describe it.

I will offer this up though, unless there is some hidden deacon dutys I'm unaware of we (the congregation) are already expected to do what I've learned of the offices dutys.

I think Donna asked about 'time limits. I've never been a member of a church that had timelimits, but I know of several large churches in the area that have 2 years active 1 year inactive cycles.. I have no clue why. My only guess would be either to prevent 'burnout' or maybe it was put in effect to break the 'deacon board' mentality from setting in.

Wow, this must be my longest post to date... Sorry :)

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

We have a "yokefellow" in our church.

He cooks the eggs for our mens' breakfasts.

:D

I think it's quite biblical for deacons to mentor younger men. Ours do. We don't have any name or office for it...but as the younger men mature, and are taught, they become deacon material.