1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge Orders Cheney to Preserve Records

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://news.aol.com/article/judge-orders-cheney-to-preserve-records/165725

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got a few guidelines I follow when voting in local elections.

Two of these are:
    1. Don't vote for candidates from Philadelphia. "Can anything good come from Philadelphia?"
    2. Try not to vote for lawyers.

Can I offer a prediction?

Both Obama and Biden are lawyers (who would have guessed :laugh: ).

If the Obama/Biden team is elected we will see a major portion of their first year spent attempting to impune the Bush administration: casting blame rather than attempting to solve problems fits their mode.

Bush would do well to collect the names of anyone associated with him (all the way down to his mother) and offer a blanket immunity as he leaves office.
    It won't stop the lawyering up of the situation but it would quell the anxiety of those prosecuted for political gain.

Rob

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think all government records should be considered public records. Sure some should be sealed for the sake of national security etc... But none should ever be destroyed or considered as property of the public servant.

He should get a Yahoo account for personal business.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Since Nixon it boggles the mind that any president or vp would keep any records of anything. More proof that anyone who applies for the job is either demented or thinks he has hit his glass ceiling.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, anyone who expresses the wish to be president should be automatically disqualified for mental reasons. :laugh:

And to say the office of the VP is not part of the Executive branch is a creative way to try to hide papers .... but I think a futile one. All the records should be public. Are they not "public servants"?

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Bottom line is there is no longer any such a thing as privacy except what happens in you bedroom - as long as you don't use you bedroom for emails or phone calls. The govt reads all our mail. We should be able to read theirs.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't know, I'd take the job. I'd have them put a couch and 63 in plasma in the oval office and tell my assistant I can't be disturbed. I'd put prayer back in school, pimp out the presidential limo and let the homeless sleep in the rotunda complete with meals prepared by the White House chef.

I would then close government two days a week to save money, lay on the couch, put on a good movie and wait to be impeached...

With the efficiency of our government I might make two terms...

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Iagree.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6821.html

Obama records requests prove fruitless

By: Mike Allen
    Nov 11, 2007 09:22 PM EST

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) dodged questions Sunday about releasing papers from his eight years as an Illinois state senator, and his campaign has not answered records requests from the state’s two largest newspapers.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-03-06-clinton-library-foia_N.htm

Clinton-papers release blocked
    Updated 3/7/2008

Marc Rich
    By Rich Schultz, AP

LITTLE ROCK — Federal archivists at the Clinton Presidential Library are blocking the release of hundreds of pages of White House papers on pardons that the former president approved, including clemency for fugitive commodities trader Marc Rich.

The archivists' decision, based on guidance provided by Bill Clinton that restricts the disclosure of advice he received from aides, prevents public scrutiny of documents that would shed light on how he decided which pardons to approve from among hundreds of requests.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/aug/14/nation/na-clintondocs14

Clinton records locked up
    By Peter Nicholas
    August 14, 2007 in print edition A-10

little rock, ark. - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton cites her experience as a compelling reason voters should make her president, but nearly 2 million pages of documents covering her White House years are locked up in a building here, obscuring a large swath of her record as first lady.

#8 carpro, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Not necessarily. How can the president get good advice from people if they are worried about whether or not it will later be used against them. There are good reasons for some documents to be public and others not to be.

With respect to Cheney's particular situation, I don't know enough to comment. If this is about the energy task force, then no, I don't think they should be made public. I could be convinced otherwise I suppose. As for other records, I really dont' know. But I think there are good reasons to keep some things confidential.