1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge takes Attorney to the woodshed

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Court deputies had to break up a physical fight between a Brevard County judge and a public defender after an argument during a hearing on Monday.
    Judge John Murphy is accused of punching veteran public defender Andrew Weinstock after the two had words during court in which Murphy allegedly pressured Weinstock to get his client to waive his right to a speedy trial.
    "You know, if I had a rock I would throw it at you right now," Murphy tells Weinstock. "Stop pissing me off. Just sit down."
    "You know I'm the public defender. I have a right to be here and I have a right to stand and represent my client," Weinstock said in the video.
    The judge allegedly asked Weinstock to come to the back hallway, an area where there are no cameras, which is where the fight broke out.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/brevard-judge-accused-punching-public-defender/ngCGC/

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds more like the judge was being a cry baby jerk not getting his way.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've heard that 99.999% of the time, the judge will find a defendant guilty and give him/her the max if they refuse to waive their right to a speedy trial, simply because it ticks them off and by not allowing the prosecutor have time to gather evidence because the courts are too backed up, and it forces the judge to change his schedule because it's so unusual and legally has to be put on the docket and throws everything off.
    They plan on bullying people into waiving that right, thus aren't prepared with the proper evidence when they actually charge someone, depending on them waiving that right. Would make more sense to have all the evidence ready for a slam dunk case and have them NOT waive that right, and not give them time to counter, rather than have them crowd the jails waiting for trials forever, leaving families without them and such and giving them time to study ways out of it if they ARE guilty...then having to scramble to counter what the defendant had months or years to come up with.

4. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That judge needs to be removed from the bench.