1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judgement and Biblical Support

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I heard a pastor talking about "judging others". He said that however we judge a person, that God will judge us the same way.

In other words, we set the standard at how God judges us by how harshly we judge others.

He said that "normally the Bible sets the standard of judgement, but if we judge beyond the Bible that sets the standard at which we will be judged."

Is this truly Biblical? I know the Bible says something to this effect, but is this really referring to God's judgement, or more of a "glass house" example?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is subjective at best and unbiblical. There are absolute standards in the Bible.

100% of my sins (past/present/future - they were ALL future in 32CE) were covered and paid for and forgiven and never brought up again and . .

So how will I be judged? Will God demand penalty a SECOND TIME for the sin that was already covered?

We sure have a skewed understanding of "judge" here.

3. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

In what biblical context was the pastor speaking?

Mt 7:1* Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    Mt 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Is this talking about being judged by God or a general rule of truth among human relationships?

Paul talks about judging in the church as well:

1Co 6:2* Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
    1Co 6:3* Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Yours,

Bluefalcon

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the pastor is correct and have experienced the embarrassment of being judged by my own yardstick.

This precept no doubt is from the Sermon on the Mount.

If we read it in it's entirety we see that we are allowed to judge others if we have also judged ourselves. Then we will be able to help the brethren.

The judgment must come on our parts either before (by self) or after (by Father).

In other words if our motive is pure of agape love and our judgement is remedial towards a wandering brother/sister (having been down that wandering road) then that is "righteous judgment" and IMO allowed.

First heal then discipline the wandering ones.

HankD

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

What kind of judgement are we talking about here?Do we mean judgement with a critical eye in the manner of pharisees? Or do we mean judgement with an eye to solving an issue or problem? Or are we talking about discernment?Are we talking about deciding who to witness to and who not to witness to? I'm asking these questions in regard to the original entry made by Phillip.I think this comes across a little open ended for me.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm with Plain Old Bill. What is meant by judgement? What is being judged?

We are to judge teachings. We are to be discerning. We should try to ascertain if someone is a believer or not at certain times, not to "judge" them, but to know how to respond to them or maybe to witness to them.

I get questions all the time through my website and sometimes I have to ask outright if the person considers themselves born again in Christ in order to know how to answer their question. It often makes a big difference as to how I respond.