1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jury Orders Church to Pay Former Pastor $3.7 Million

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/...d-prairie-church-owes-former-pastor-3-7m.html

"After a three-day trial in Tarrant County District Court, an 11-person jury ruled that Crossroads must pay a $3.7 million judgment after it found that church leaders violated a legally binding commitment it made to its former executive pastor of 20 years, Mel Dietz, and his wife, Vicki Dietz, who worked as an executive assistant to its senior pastor for nearly two decades."

"Crossroads...is a non-denominational church....Dietz was involved in commercial and real estate construction in Florida before becoming a pastor. Dietz led Crossroads expansion efforts, including a major expansion in 2002 from its seven acres in Arlington to 146 acres in Grand Prairie, according to documents. 'Mel was insightful enough to buy the mineral rights with the new Grand Prairie property and it included nine natural gas wells that are now actively producing....The royalties from these gas wells funded the supplemental retirement plan.'"

"In 2011, Crossroads leaders decided to build two new buildings....The price tag was $30 million. However, the church raised only $8 million in pledges. To make up for the shortfall...church elders abandoned plans for one of the two buildings and diverted $4.7 million set aside for the supplemental retirement fund to the building fund."

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His law suit is unbiblical

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is failing to honor your word.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can I fail to honor my word because someone unbiblcally sues me? (Rhetorica question) Neither can I sue in this manner because someone fails to honor their word.

1Co_6:7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Plenty of wrong to go around on both sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul (by inspiration) is NOT forbidding them to sue one another but asking them why and why not suffer the wrong.
    So yes its a rhetorical question and the answer is because they were carnal.

Had they been spiritual then the "need" to sue would have never happened.

7. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mega churches scare me.

When I think upon what little I know about the growth of Christianity in the 1st and 2nd century--mega churches do not enter my thoughts. House churches--yes. Mega churches--no.

I believe the Gospel of Christ spreads by individual acts of kindness--one person to another.

I could be wrong about this--and I am certainly no expert.

#7 Just_Ahead, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The house churches of the early centuries was not a biblical prescription for how it should be done it was a result of the culture of the day. One may not care for the big churches but how churches were done in the early centuries is not a legitimate reason to dislike them. There is just no mandate there.

9. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revmitchell...

You probably need to edit your reply above. Not the thoughts so much, but you need to add some punctuation. I had to read your reply several times before I thought I understood what you were trying to say.

"mandate"?

Not sure exactly how that political word fits the discussion.

Just how does God speak?

I am sorry, but you opened the door with the political word "mandate". Now it is up to you to explain what you mean.

And up to others to comment on what you write.

#9 Just_Ahead, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of churches scare me. Megas have their problems. Minis seem to have just as many problems. The megas swallow you up in a sea of strange faces. The minis are a tightly garded club that only accept certain people.

• Like Like x 1