1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just Got Married! What Indoor/Outdoor Activities To Do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ChristianMaker, Jan 1, 2012.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

If they can't find something to do in Atlanta I doubt if Chattanooga will help. Which side of town are you on Christian Maker? What kind of ministries does your church have?

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you like being outside and are history buffs there's a good number of Civil War sites between Atlanta and Chattanooga.

3. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

If you are stressing maybe you are trying to over-structure everything. Life requires balance - some things that are planned, and some that are laid-back lets see what happens moments. And a few spontaneous times as well. Find things you both enjoy, try something the other enjoys but you're not so sure about. Also remember that you each need "me time" to be your own person. My wife and I are both involved in the music ministry of our church, so that we can do together. She likes to knit and crochet, which I call "tying knots in string." Obviuosly we don't do that together, unless you call my teasing her doing it together. By the way, if I tried to knit or crochet, it would be tying knots in string.

4. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Sorry that was one long string. Can't do paragraghs from my phone. Hopefully in a few months I will get a new i-phone. Get a good deal since my daughter-in-law works for Sprint.

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

If you're newly married, and young, I would think the indoor activity would be enough to keep you occupied. :smilewinkgrin: Sorry, I couldn't resist that. It was too obvious. But seriously, you have received some really good advice on this thread. Use it and God will bless you with a long and happy marriage.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I was thinking that too. Glad you said it first. :laugh:

7. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Some of these may have been mentioned I'm sure, but these are my top ideas which come to mind - Start a small Bible study group for newly married couples, possibly rotating locations through the the couples' homes. Start a bi-monthly progressive dinner/fellowship with couples in your church and/or that same Bible study group. Minster to couples in your church who have small children by babysitting so they can have a parents' night out or a block of time to run errands uninterrupted. Caring for children together will be a great way for you and your wife to spend time together and will help prepare you for when your turn comes around. Go to a local nursing home and minister there in some way together. Choose a home improvement project to work on together. Is there a political candidate during this next year that you can both agree on and work on their campaign together? Choose a topic or current issue such as pro-life information that matters to both of you and that you would like to learn more about. Research it individually and then come together and share what you each have learned and then act together in some way on that subject. For example, Joni and Friends (Joni Eareckson Tada) has places in various areas in the country where you can volunteer to minister to the disabled or help get information out on pro-life issues. I know they have camp weeks for the disabled that need volunteers and if you like the outdoors, you really might enjoy this. Get out of your comfort zone and have some adventures together.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thought about something we used to do alot, especially on Sunday afternoons with nothing planned. Much more expensive these days, than back then. But, even today, we still do it from time to time.

Explore the countryside around you. Get in the car and drive without a specific destination in mind. Once you're out of the city (if that's where you live) on rural roads, let the spur of the moment determine whether to turn right or left.

With the number of major highways today, you can't get lost for long. Whatever direction you're driving you'll encounter one eventually. So many people miss the beauty and wonder of God's creation by staying on the beaten path. Stop by a bridge over a creek on a 2 lane tar & gravel road. Walk on the bridge, or down the bank beside the road. Pull over on the shoulder when you top a hill. These quiet vistas are out there, if you look for them.

Those moments when the two of you can catch a glimse of a little bit of Eden will be priceless, IMHO. To pause, hand in hand, to watch and listen. Doesn't matter if it's minnows in a brook, squirrel scampering up a tree, or a herd of cattle grazing in the distance. Drink it in while you can. Fill your resevoir with the awe of God's handiwork. Before you get back into the car, pause an thank the Lord for the gift He's just given you.

A gift that each of your can draw from to help sustain you when there's no such thing as a day with "absolutely no plans".

Put a half tank of gas in the car and drive.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Yet, another one..... :)

Listen to the Bible as the two of you read it together.
    http://www.biblebible.com/audio-bible/King-James-Bible-CD.asp

There are other sources. Bought mine at Lifeway with a discount coupon.

Make it a goal to listen to a few chapters everyday. Decide a time that the two of you can listen everyday. Then, you won't have any days with "absolutely no plans". Not only is this a good way to read the entire Bible. Hit the pause button to talk about what you've just read/heard. Backup and listen to a particular track again when the Holy Spirit prompts one or both of you.

Right there is a miminum of 72 hours of something the two of you can do together. Not only filling time. I can think of no better way for the two of you to grow in maturity in your faith and in each other, than to study the word of God.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think ALL of us were thinking it but were afraid to post it....

11. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Frustrated with nothing to do sounds like a wonderful thing to me!! See, it depends upon your point of view and your time of life. Having a planned schedule sounds like work instead of fun.

We like to get in the car and see where it takes us. It's fun to have nowhere to go, nothing to do and just see where the road leads. There is so much to see and do in the Atlanta area, it's full of historic treasures, Civil War battlefields, museums, there's a great aquarium, there's Stone Mountain....and then, of course, there are the things that require no money, specialized clothing or gear...parks, lakes, ...go on a picnic and lay in the sun on a blanket and dream of the future...talk together, hold hands and walk, LAUGH!

Enjoy the days of just being married...when children come along you'll yearn for these days...and they won't come again for a LONG, LONG, LONG time and by then you'll be too old and tired to enjoy them! LOL

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Your married now, and congrats for that. Now that you're married, she will tell you what activities y'all will do. :laugh:

*word of advice* A happy wife makes a happy life. :laugh:

13. ChristianMaker

Ok everyone now I have the exact opposite problem! LOL!

By jotting down everything that I want to do I have come to the conclusion I can’t do everything. I guess I am going to have to decide what I can do and what I can’t do.

Here is just a list of some of the things I would or need to do.

Community College [Doing Now]
    Church
    Church Community Groups
    Spend time with Wife
    Family
    Xbox + Electronics
    Reading Kindle
    Working Out
    Bible College [One Class A Semester]
    Start my own business
    Biking
    Hang out
    Work Part Time Job
    Bible Study
    Movies

And a ton more at the moment I can’t think of

So how in the world can I do all of these things in my lifetime? From spending time with my wife to getting a degree to doing all the things people have suggested and what’s on my list? I think I need a serious lesson on time management.

Well in any case all of your replies have been amazing and I am jotting them down because they are a great ideas. I will be definitely trying a lot of them! Please keep the comments coming because I always like new ideas and I certainly need help with my time management.

Best,
    ChristianMaker

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

And you asked what to do on an "unplanned day". :laugh:

Sorry, just couldn't resist the urge to comment, this morning. :eek:

Faster than I though, you'll be longing for an afternoon with absolutely nothing planned.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ah yes, I think I understand! You've slid into the idea that a person should be able to what he/she wants pretty much when he/she wants. It's a popular myth that the secular media pushes on us all the time. Especially on young people. I believed it when I was young and then reality hit. :eek:

As a Christian you have priorities already laid out for you. I'm betting you can pick them out of your list even. And if you have a question about which should first remember this passage:

Mat 6:19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
    Mat 6:20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
    Mat 6:21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Now a quick story:

When I was first married, we didn't make enough money for my husband and I to both finish college. We made the decision that he finish and then I would go back. And that is what we did. But just as I was entering my senior year I got pregnant with our first. Now the logic of day (and today) said that I should continue in school and dump the baby in daycare somewhere because a family can't live well on only one salary.

Thing about that was? I worked in a daycare. A very good daycare and that wasn't what I wanted for my baby. Instead, I quit school and raised 3 of my own and helped raise my Godson all on my husbands salary.

Was it tough? Absolutely! I wasn't wearing Ann Taylor and driving a Lexus! We did without a lot of what the world thinks is necessary (cell phones and the like). I shopped the thrift stores (oh yeah, sometimes I WAS wearing Ann Taylor. Just didnt buy them at the mall lol).

Was it worth it? Absolutely! I have 4 beautiful, well rounded Christian teenagers that I wouldn't trade anything for. Oh and I have a cell phone. :rolleyes: So do they. (I still shop the thrift store!) And I'm going to buy books today to continue my education. The university seems to think I'm a senior and even though I added a second major to my list, I'll graduate in a couple of years depending on whether or not I escalate up to full time.

There is time to do what you want after you've finished with your priorities. :)

16. ChristianMaker

Thank you so much everyone! I have plenty to do now. God Bless!