1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just how does a sinner get saved anyhow?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Assuming some poor old unsaved sinner has reached the end of his/her rope and they want to get right with god,just how would he/she go about it.Let's assume none of them have read any books on theology or Bible doctrine and to make things worse they have never been to the Baptist theology & Bible study forum to find out just how to do it right.Just what do they do?

2. Plain Old Bill

Apology for the small g in God.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ask God for it!

Acts 2:21 "All that call on the name of the Lord shall be saved"

4. Plain Old Bill

Ben I'm with you! Amen! The point of the thread though is some folks seem to want to make it hard and complicated,one of thier favorite cries is "easy beleivism". My point is with few exceptions, the unsaved do not have the benefit of a theological education so they don't know all of the technical things that take place at the moment of Salvation.
    What those who are unsaved and comming to Christ as Lord and Savior do know is they now belive in God and Jesus Christ as best they can and are turning to Him for Salvation the best way they know how.I think in Gods' eyes that is what counts.Whether it is easy or hard don't matter.

5. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

PlainOldBill,

I'm with you in principle, but I would like to clarify one point. All a man has to do to be saved is "believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ." The statement in Romans about calling is not about how to be born again; it is about what God does for us when we call on Him for any reason - namely, He delivers us.

If you will look at the context, Paul said that they cannot even call on him in whom they have not believed. By the time a man calls on the Lord he must have already believed and thus already passed from death to life. For it was said by the Lord Jesus,

"He that hears my word and believes on him that sent me, hath everlasting life; and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life."

Mark Osgatharp

6. Lamb

Lamb New Member

I think it's a matter of where the heart is. If this person is truly crying out to God for help, then I would like to say that I'm pretty sure He would know this person's heart. That this person is searching for Him, reaching out for Him.

Acts 14:26-27

From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

What an encouraging verse this is. To know that God is not far from us. I think God would put something or someone in this person's life to be able to minister to him/her, and not be left alone.

7. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

man trys to complicate Gods grace when God made it as simple as ABC

Accept, Believe, Confess.

8. Plain Old Bill

You are right Mark. I am not trying to split hairs, it's the general principle that countsk,in that regard I have'nt seen anybody in this conversation try to complicate what I beleive God made simple.

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Believe God.

Isa 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

II Chron 20:20 ...Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Joh 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Joh 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
    Joh 9:36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
    Joh 9:37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.
    Joh 9:38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
    Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
    Joh 11:27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Joh 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life,

Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

10. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

Repent and believe

11. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." That is salvation in about three verses. God re-creates His fallen children through Jesus to walk the walk. It is all of God--the seeking, calling, enabling(giving faith), redeeming, sanctifying. All of this is completely contrary to the nature of man--he is totally depraved. That is what Grace is all about--all mankind deserves to go to Hell.

"Faith cometh by hearing, hearing by the Word of God. How can they hear without a preacher? No one comes to the Father unless the Spirit draws him." Is more evidence that God is the author and finisher by His Grace, for His express purpose and pleasure.

Jesus paid it all.

Selah,

Bro. James

12. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

This is the work of God, that you believe on him whom he has sent.

“In a beautiful New England village a boy lay very sick, drawing near to death and very sad. His heart longed for the treasure which was worth more to him now than all the gold of the western mines. One day I sat down by him, took his hand, and looking in his troubled face asked him what made him so sad. ‘Uncle,’ said he, ‘I want to love God. Won’t you tell me how to love God?’ I cannot describe the piteous tones in which he said those words and the look of anxiety which he gave me. I said to him: ‘My boy, you must trust God first, and then you will love him without trying to at all.’ With a surprised look he exclaimed, ‘What did you say?’ I repeated the exact words again, and I shall never forget how his large, hazel eyes opened on me, and his cheek flushed as he slowly said, ‘Well, I never knew that before. I always thought that I must love God first before I had any right to trust him.’ ‘No, my dear boy,’ I answered, ‘God wants us to trust him; that is what Jesus always asks us to do first of all, and he knows that as soon as we trust him we shall begin to love him. This is the way to love God, put your trust in him first of all.’ Then I spoke to him of the Lord Jesus and how God sent him that we might believe in him and how, all through his life, he tried to win the trust of men; how grieved he was when men would not believe in him, and everyone who believed came to love without trying at all.’ He drank in all the truth and simply saying, ‘I will trust Jesus now,’ without an effort put his young soul in Christ’s hands that very hour; and so he came into the peace of God which passes understanding and lived in it calmly and sweetly to the end.”

-Copied

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

What makes that poor old sinner want to be saved?

14. Plain Old Bill

I know what you are saying Old Regular. It is The Holy Spirit that convicts us of sin. My whole point is that we on the board try to make it more complicated than it is to get saved.

15. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Amen! I agree. Some try to make getting saved something man must accomplish. To the natural man, the gospel is foolishness, but to the regenerate it is the power of God, with assurance. "Only Trust Him" has significance when it is being acknowledged, He is our salvation and has given us new life. Salvation is of the Lord. Such a thing is foolishness, to the natural man, says 1 Corinthians 2:14.

[​IMG]

16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

AMEN! I wish that all Christians would understand this truth.

17. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

A few elsewhere have asked for some explanation of the above, and so thinking it could be helpful here also...

By way of brief explanation of the short article about the young boy, notice he longed for riches, but not as this world offers. There was the new life, but he yet remained ignorant of many of the things of God. The young boy saw his lack of ability, his being unsuitable to even love God as he knew he should, and so no self merit is discovered. When one is regenerated, the Holy Ghost is given, and the body is dead because of sin, the sin now appearing exceeding sinful, and the lack of ability towards righteous deeds so very clear, so it is said, the body is dead, a body of death (Rom 7:18,24). When one is regenerated, made anew, they have new life, not the old reformed, for the old is basically unchanged. The old is made to appear as it really is. There are righteous desires but not a righteous disposition. The young boy struggled, but by proper instruction, was helped along in the new life and found how to simply trust in what Christ had done for him.

Romans 8:10 (KJV) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Quoting A. W. Pink:

"Strange as it may sound to those who have but a superficial and non-experimental acquaintance with God's truth, awakened souls are exceedingly backward from receiving comfort in the glorious gospel of Christ. They think they are utterly unworthy and unfit to come to Christ just as they are, in all their vileness and filthiness. They imagine some meetness must be wrought in them before they are qualified to believe the gospel, that there must be certain holy dispositions in their hearts before they are entitled to conclude that Christ will receive them. They fear that they are not sufficiently humbled under a sense of sin, that they have not a suitable abhorrence of it, that their repentance is not deep enough; that they must have fervent breathings after Christ and pantings after holiness, before they can be warranted to seek salvation with a well-grounded hope of success. All of which is the same thing as hugging the miseries of unbelief in order to obtain permission to believe."