1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just what does being seperate mean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hebron, May 30, 2008.

1. Hebron

Hebron New Member

Gods Word tells us that we have to

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
    2Cor 6:17

If we want to be separated from the world, we must stay close to Jesus. We cannot always avoid contact with the world but we can avoid being involved in the sin.
    I remember passing a football ground 45 years ago hanging onto my fathers hand, on hearing the curses and profanities my father hurried me past and praised the Lord he was not part of it. Today Christians stand beside the same people ....if anyone passed by they would look the same if anyone looked on they would think they were the same.
    Is it a sin to partake of the worlds pleasures?

#1 Hebron, May 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you balance this with Christ's command, "Go ye into all the world ........?"

3. Hebron

Hebron New Member

You cannot balance the Gospel it stands on it's own with no compromise. I don't know of one verse in the Bible that say's ''go and enjoy wordly pleasure whilst preaching the gospel''

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 1:27
    Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmmm, that seems to be an answer but no answer. Who says anything abour compromise ... but standing alone the two passages/verses seem to contridict each other ... so we have to find a way to balance the two into a rational belief. We cannot separate ourselves from the world and never interact with it and at the same time go into all the world.

6. Hebron

Hebron New Member

It depends how you want to interact.
    Being “in” the world means we can enjoy the things of the world, such as the beautiful creation God has given us, but we are not to immerse ourselves in what the world values, nor are we to chase after worldly pleasures.
    Jesus did not avoid contact with sinners but he did not allow himself to become a part of their activities
    Our citizenship is heaven. Philipians 3:20
    For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
    Christ's claims that believers are no longer of the world—we are no longer ruled by sin, nor are we bound by the principles of the world. In addition, we are being changed into the image of Christ, causing our interest in the things of the world to become less and less as we mature in Christ.

7. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

Must have been Vale Park or the Victoria Ground, because we are very well behaved at Crewe Alex :saint: ;)

8. Hebron

Hebron New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

For one it means our world view is seen through scripture. Not the scripture through the world's view. We have to live in the world, and are expected too in order to spread the gospel, and live Christ in front of unbelievers, yet we do not have to live like unbelievers do, with world opinions like unbelievers, but rather our opinions on the world based on scripture..

10. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Can you please describe what you mean by the term "worldly pleasures"while I go have a chocolate shake with my wife :wavey: .

11. Hebron

Hebron New Member

Yes that is the bases of the original question 'what are worldy pleasure's'
    I would say enjoy your milk shake with your wife but not whilst playing bingo in the bingo hall or standing in the bookies waiting on your horse coming in. As for soccer/basketball etc would you say you would want to be part of the crowd whose verbal conversations are far from God like ?

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

So now sporting events are sinful? Hoo boy.

Wow. Why not let God do the convicting, if it's needed? Priesthood of the believer is a wonderful thing...

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't think Hebron meant that, in themselves, sporting events are sinful. I am no football (soccer, to you :) ) fan, but I understand that bad language at matches is the norm these days. A Daily Telgraph article on the falling attendance at Premiership matches included this paragraph:
    The downside was the unremittingly foul language, and the Smethwick End was not exactly the ideal family environment for the small groups of people with young children. If a football crowd is reflective of a nation's society........

Another article, this time in The Independent, said (obscenties removed by David Lamb):

To complain about offensive language at football matches these days is to invite ridicule; not since the heyday of Brian Clough has there been a respected figure in the game who has taken issue with the practice of obscene chanting. Yet not a few of football's current problems began with the game's administrators accepting that 30,000 people can't possibly give voice to their derision following a mistimed shot without chanting "what (obscene words removed) was that?" Admittedly, "what the blazes was that?" doesn't scan quite as well. But it's no joking matter. Something should have been done long ago about orchestrated swearing, even in the form of referees stopping matches. Now, regrettably, it is too late. My eight-year- old son knows that there are certain "rude" words I don't like him saying, then I take him to a football match and he hears pretty much the entire repertoire from tens of thousands of his elders. One answer is not to take him to matches, although I would also have to stop him watching football on television. Another is to let him say whatever he wants.​
    Perhaps things are much better at American football matches (as they seem to be at most other sporting events here).

14. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I'm not sure that English football matches have become worse for bad language. A lot of grounds, especially in the Premiership, are quite family-orientated. I think it depends in part as to which ground you are at and which stand you are in.

At Crewe Alex (which I quite often attend) you have one stand behind the goal which is a bit rowdy, and then the main stand which is quite polite as football crowds go. At Crewe you've almost got two cultures really - the mostly teenage crowd which are quite rowdy and aggressive; and the mostly placid majority of families and respectable types.

You get all kinds of people at football, and you rarely get a whole crowd signing something abusive. Different clubs have different cultures as well; for example, someone I know went to a Stoke match and said it was much more violent and intimidating compared to Crewe where its more family and social orientated.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

bad language is the norm in all of life, very few places you can go where it isn't. Like the grocery store, I guess the grocery store is a sinful place to go.
    Just because there is bad language going on around you does not mean you have the same bad language. Thats what it means to be in the world not of the world.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the sporting event on Sunday?
    Does it keep people from church through either attendance or watching on the TV?
    How is God praised at a Sunday sporting event?

Just curious.

Sin is in the beholder of the belief. When I was a kid we had a neighbor whose church would not let him partake in communion because he had a radio in the living room. Times change.

Also, what is considered sin in one culture is not considered sin in another.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Oh, I wasn't arguing that sporting events were in and of themselves sinful...I was pointing out the pharasaical tone of the OP and the direction he was going...

18. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I have to say, I'm with DonnA. You just can't escape bad language, it's everywhere. You can give your children some defenses against it though.

Do I have a problem attending sporting events with the ever present beer and bad language. Not in the least. My children are told what to expect from others in the crowd and why others behave in such a manner. They understand that some enjoy drinking beer, but we as Christians are told specifically to keep our senses about us and not become drunk. They are told the consequences that may happen from drinking to much beer at the ballgame and then driving home.

Same with bad language (this is a problem we have to deal with in our home). They know that I believe one should keep our speech becoming unto the Lord while a certain other members of our household and close family don't hold to the same practice. (Yes, I can be in the world and not of it in my own home. You learn to walk the line quickly this way.)

Ultimately, as rbell states, one must choose for himself what will best represent Christ to the world he finds himself in and practice that whole priesthood of the believer thing.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Good post MK, preparing your children before hand so they know what to espect and you've already taught them God's way before they even get there and see and hear people. Thats a good way of handling living in the world while not being of the world.

20. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks! As I mentioned, I am not a football fan myself, so I can only go on media reports.