1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justice Scalia’s Last Public Speech: ‘Good Intentions Are Not Enough’

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Feb 22, 2016.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-public-speech-good-intentions-are-not-enough

Justice Scalia’s Last Public Speech: ‘Good Intentions Are Not Enough’

In his last public speech, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who died last weekend of natural causes, told his granddaughter’s high school graduation class that being passionately committed to a cause is not as important as making sure that cause is right.

“Good intentions are not enough,” the 79-year-old justice told graduates of Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart in Bethesda, Maryland at their commencement ceremonies last June.

Warning the seniors that “nobody ever proposed evil as such,” Scalia told them that is their responsibility “not just to be zealous in the pursuit of your ideals, but to be sure that your ideals are the right ones, not merely in their ends, but in their means.

SNIP

"I am here to tell you that it is much less important how committed you are than what you are committed to. If I had to choose, I would always take the less dynamic, indeed even the lazy person who knows what’s right, rather than the zealot in the cause of error. He may move slower, but he’s headed in the right direction.”