1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Kerry Warns, 'Our Planet Is Warming'--During Record-Breaking Blizzard

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DEMING: Another year of global cooling

Global warming is nowhere to be found. The mean global temperature has not risen in 17 years and has been slowly falling for approximately the past 10 years. In 2013, there were more record-low temperatures than record-high temperatures in the United States.

At the end of the first week in January, a brutal spell of cold weather settled over most of the country. Multiple cold-temperature records were shattered across the country. Some sites experienced frigid conditions not seen since the 19th century. Chicago and New York City broke temperature records set in 1894 and 1896, respectively. These extremes were not singular, but exemplary of conditions throughout much of the continent. Temperatures in Chicago were so cold that a polar bear at the Lincoln Park Zoo had to be taken inside.

The onset of polar conditions over the United States was also a reminder that cold weather in general is more inimical to human welfare than warm weather. The operation of power grids, gas pipelines and oil refineries was disrupted. Passengers on Amtrak trains were left stranded, and thousands of flights were delayed or canceled. By Jan. 7, the media were reporting at least 21 deaths directly related to the cold.

The January freeze caused $3 million in damage to vineyards in Ohio. Citrus crops in Florida apparently escaped damage, but California growers were not so lucky. A weeklong spell of cold weather in early December damaged up to half of the state’s $1.5 billion citrus crop. California farmers may (or may not) take consolation in the fact that their state government is attempting to further cool the climate by mandating a reduction in carbon-dioxide emissions.

As frigid conditions settled over the nation, global-warming alarmists went into full denial mode. We were emphatically lectured that singular weather events are not necessarily indicative of long-term climate trends. True enough, but haven’t we been repeatedly told that weather events such as hurricanes Sandy and Katrina are unequivocal proof of global warming? If we’re really in the middle of a “climate crisis,” is it not remarkable that low-temperature records from the 19th century were shattered?

Weather extremes also seem to bring out the lunatic fringe. Of course, when we’re discussing global warming, it’s difficult to tell where the mainstream stops and the fringe begins. We were subjected to the oxymoronic explanation that frigid weather was, in fact, caused by global warming. According to Time magazine, cold temperatures in the United States were a result of global warming forcing the polar vortex southward. But in 1974, the same Time informed us that descent of the polar vortex into temperate zones was a harbinger of a new Ice Age.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/16/another-year-of-global-cooling/#ixzz3I3be3lhL
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Carbon Dioxide Levels Continue To Rise, Global Temperatures Are Not Following Suit

New data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration show atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are continuing to rise but global temperatures are not following suit. The new data undercut assertions that atmospheric carbon dioxide is causing a global warming crisis.

NOAA data show atmospheric carbon dioxide levels rose 2.67 parts per million in 2012, to 395 ppm. The jump was the second highest since 1959, when scientists began measuring atmospheric carbon dioxide levels.

Global temperatures are essentially the same today as they were in 1995, when atmospheric carbon dioxide levels were merely 360 ppm. Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels rose 10 percent between 1995 and 2012, yet global temperatures did not rise at all. Global warming activists are having a difficult time explaining the ongoing disconnect between atmospheric carbon dioxide levels and global temperatures.

This isn’t the first time in recent years that global temperatures have disobeyed the models presented by global warming activists. From the mid-1940s through the mid-1970s, global temperatures endured a 30-year decline even as atmospheric carbon dioxide levels rose nearly 10 percent. From 1900 through 1945, by contrast, global temperatures rose rapidly despite a lack of coal power plants, SUV’s, and substantial carbon dioxide emissions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesta...e-global-temperatures-are-not-following-suit/

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Polar bears had to go inside. Definitive proof, right thar, people!

#23 InTheLight, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has always been periods of warming and cooling. A study of history shows that. We have been in a period of cooling and may or many not be going into a warming period, I'm not convinced we are but I don't think its something to worry about. This is just one more thing that the Left uses to control people. So the more the Left pushes it, the more I doubt their so called science.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. That is why I posted three graphs. The top graph shows year-by-year the average global temperature. You can see many ups and downs, or short periods of warming and cooling.

The middle graph smooths out these yearly variations by calculating the five year average and eleven year average temperatures. Here you can clearly see a trend, and the trend is warmer average temperatures.

The bottom graph smooths even more.

Maybe a couple of years. The US had a cool summer last year and has had a couple of cold winters recently, last year was especially bad.

Left or right, doesn't matter. Whoever is in power tries to control people. I agree the left is using global warming to try to get the U.S. to adopt more environmental laws that would set more regulations in place, and likely more taxes.

As I said before, there is no doubt that average global temperatures are rising; the graphs show that. That part of the science is unquestioned. The questionable science that the left is using is concluding that the rise is man made and therefore we need regulations and taxes to control it.

#26 InTheLight, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  7. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not talking about a 150 year cycle of warming and cooling like the graphs you posted but about a 500 year cycle. Like I said a study of history shows periods of warming and then cooling. We have been coming out of a cooling period of now.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's typical to select the endpoint from the past at the point that the industrial revolution started. That is when humans started burning fossil fuels.

The problem with any analysis of global temperatures is: When do you pick your endpoints? There is also the problem that a reliable working thermometer was not invented until the 1700's. Widespread usage took another 100 years. Therefore, any temperature data before the 1800's is sparse and inaccurate.

When you say "we" are coming out of a cooling period, what do you mean? The U.S. is coming out of a cooling period? Asia? Australia? Europe?

The years between 2001 and 2012 were among the top 13 warmest on record:

[​IMG]

#28 InTheLight, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  9. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean the world in general. Europe was in a warming period during the middle ages that England was able to have vineyards. I will admit that I don't know much about vineyards but I do know it takes a warmer climate the England has presently.

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great post! Thank you very much!

There does not seem to be any evidence that the burning of "fossil" fuels in the middle ages caused that warming period so that the English had vineyards.

No one knows why John Kerry, who fought in Viet Nam, is making a lot of hot air about emissions, especially since it is the Chinese and others who are the culprits these days.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the same "evidence" presented in the OP. One narrow period of time in one country or area on the planet. Again, it is GLOBAL climate change.

12. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have any evidence on temps in Siberia?

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Siberia part of the globe? If so, any temperature readings there would count toward the increasing average global temperature.

15. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there any temperature charts that show the variances in WHOLE degrees instead of 1/10s ???

I mean, for real. Those graphs make it look absolutely horrific with the jagged lines all over the place, shooting straight to the top right corner. But in reality, there's less than one degree of rise in a hundred years ???

But if there was a graph of whole degrees, with a +/- 10 degree variance, that line would be almost flat.

16. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got frostbite in 1982, and a heatstroke in 2006.

Does that constitute a warming trend?

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's your climate study so you get to pick the endpoints. Sounds good to me!

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol

Good stuff, ITL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.